FNRttC FNRttC 7th August to Felpham near Bognor Regis 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricadus

dellzeqq said:
clicking on TarteTatin's link reveals that Bognor is not all hydrangeas and pampas grass! Be careful out there!

http://www.bognor.co.uk/news/Catnappers-on-the-prowl.5525941.jp

The bit where he says "I think people are selling them to pay for drugs" is the clue as to what has happened: the cat has realised it's living with a nutter and has moved in down the road with that nice old lady and her saucers of milk.

Great ride -- first of these rides to the coast for me -- with perfect weather on the night/day. As a result I'm now tempted by Whistable next month -- and maybe riding back too, as I'm in the SE part of town.

handbag said:
do you mean "you" and "your legendary calves"... is that sort of thing?:biggrin:

"A handbag?" :smile:

There's an importance in being earnest but I was thinking elegance, not elephants! :biggrin:

Jasper the Surrea

Well, I am glad that everyone appears to have had a good ride. This is my patch and it is nice to share familiar lanes with you all. Apart from the delays near the end it was a well paced ride and the weather was lovely. Felpham did look at it's best for our arrival. Sorry about the mix up in Burpham. I have never been there on a bike before and self doubt entered my mind, never a good thing for me to have to start thinking at that hour. Mrs. Surreal was relieved to see us all, she had been there since 07:30. After saying our goodbyes we had a short ride home and I was ordered to bed. Four hours later after a shower and shave I drove her to Chichester where in my befuddled state I was persuaded to buy her some items of clothing. It is a gentle form of mugging where I inflict the pain on myself and then I am subtely relieved of my meagre wealth. I am glad that Marna is now OK. that must have been quite worrying. Too much to mention on this ride but impressed by the Brompton rider, very strong on terrain for which it was never really intended and some new and fairly new participants doing very well and `getting' the whole thing.

And as a local please come back soon. Lovely to see you all.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I have to say that despite my magnificent wipeout 20 yards in I had even more fun on this ride than on the Brighton one. Fantastic route, beautiful weather and lovely people.

Unfortunately I can't display pictures of most my bruising as the handlebar managed to hit both the areas that identify my womanhood. Mr Weenie was most impressed.

Thanks to lovely person who lent me their handlebar light as mine's smashed to hell!

Roll on September's ride!

matthew

Paddington, your pace for the ride back was ideal. I got home feeling I could have kept going for another few miles but was asleep within 10 minutes of getting off the bike!! Thank you for the company, it was missed when I had the slog up the B3000 to cross the hogs back.

Simon, I hope your talks with Rob work out and that we were able to show him enough of how the ride works.

Radius

SHREDDER
Aperitif said:
Nice pics O - did recognise you yesterday, even if the others were sketchy in their acknowledgement. I was ready to stop for a chat but you saw the rapidity of the peloton I'm sure!
:sad:

I waved vigorously I'll have you know!

O said:
Indeed - I had to do a double-take as I thought it was a Columbia HTC training ride!

We had a deadline, and we met it ;)

Sig SilverPrinter said:
Had a great time,did 104 miles in total.Got home and Ruby had made me a 'well done mum' card with a drawing of me cycling up and down a hill.

Aww! :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sig SilverPrinter said:
Had a great time,did 104 miles in total.Got home and Ruby had made me a 'well done mum' card with a drawing of me cycling up and down a hill.

would she have done the card if she'd known her Mum had turned up without cake?, well would she????

Radius

SHREDDER
MacBludgeon said:
would she have done the card if she'd known her Mum had turned up without cake?, well would she????

;) :sad: :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
BigSteev said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure it should be compared with Velazquez but then what would a Philistine like myself know. I just thought I was missing an angel from my right shoulder.

You cut me to the quick.

How was the skate-a-thon?

I did suggest warm olive oil and some cotton wool but it all got a bit lost in translation...
mike e, from Hull mooted that he would like to 'do a ride' - and with that ride, try and raise some funds for a worthy cause. No, it didn't help at all that I thought he said " 'elp for Ear'oles"...
And there he was! Hull to Hyde Park Corner ready for the next 'Legg' of his marathon. Lots of friendly faces as Claudine, Woody,(well I can't possibly call her a Tarte can I? Can I..?) Luke and self rolled onto the Wellington Arch parade ground for the midnight mass...
And off! A bit of the usual revving up, but it was warm and dry - everyone seemed in good spirit as we rolled forward. (That damned Pastoral Symphony is back again..!)
Rolling through the 'burbs' with Big Steev and Matt useful outriders (subbing for Tim H and GrumpyGreg in their absence - you were missed boys...) - just in case the 'bus stop massive' got a bit lary, we attracted the usual collection of quips - all part of the fun indeed!
All by myself I had thought of a plan which involved getting up at 03:00 on Friday morning, doing a bit of work until sleep overtook me, getting a 'power nap' (cobblers!) eating and arriving refreshed for the sortie.
I was tired by Faygate - as usual, my planning was rubbish. Unable to get a wink of repose.

9ksfth.jpg

At the Cabin, mike e showed me his DIY GPS and pointed out the problems encountered up to that point.

Actually that was a good, homey café, with more signs than you could shake a stick at...all very efficient - lest the staff forget - or indeed the customers.

14cveir.jpg

Very good!

After the Cabin, I couldn't stop yawning (nothing to do with the company, which was great, amusing and lovely) - probably all the way to Arundel, where normal daytime metabolism kicked in...
The flint path rocks! It made a change from rolling straight and true. It is only a bit of a shocker to think what a hinderance if my handlebars had decided to end their relationship with my bicycle at that point! And the Marathon + tyres? 'Bring it on' they say!
Plenty of lovely photos by others on here showing the tour to its conclusion - the Seafront, where I met my old friends Syd and Jan. Syd used to "take care of me" on rugby tours to Paris etc when I was a mere 18 year old.
So it was egg, beans, tomatoes, fried bread, tea and a couple of beers for breakfast - in that weather, at that place...the feeling wasn't going to get much better than that!
mike e inspired them to part with some beer tokens for his cause too!

"Got to go!" was the clarion call and after some equally lovely but hurried goodbyes it was off to London by Route 1. A29, A24 - bish, bosh - The Cenotaph! Then Kings X for mike and homeward for his co-equipiers.

We ambled past Butlitz - the main arena looking like an Anish Kapoor style sea urchin - hung a right and took the A29...for about five seconds, before piling into a garage for replenishment. Obviously garages were to play an important part in helping heroes on this day. (Roughly translated the cafe was nice, but a rip-off for cold drinks.)

28sy811.jpg

This woman showed us exactly what she thought of mike cycling all that way..."Felpham?" No we didn't...

So off we jolly well blasted. mike e, Des O, MacB, redjedi, ilovebikes, Radius and yours truly.
The A29 is a lovely run. I know there are some who prefer to get their legs lacerated and tyres flattened by thorny b-road hedgerows but this was fairly quiet and a blast.
Speed set steady at 24 - 28kph, or 16mph I suppose and the sun beat down upon our backs.(That was once the dynamic duo had finished their jousting further up the road...:rolleyes::tongue: and fallen back to pull everyone along)

nrj0z.jpg

Des couldn't work out why he wasn't getting the better of that dark bike next to him...

MacB, after leading the train out decided to let the train lead him from Billingshurst and redjedi pulled us along to a turn off towards Kingston where we said goodbye...and then there were five.
I sat at the back doing nothing but watch as the pace got quicker and quicker, the garage stops assuming greater significance as thirst and hungry bungry took control. But it was ok.

Celebrations on reaching civilisation took place around Ewell, near to the birthplace of the FNRttC - so it was all rather touching. Old skills were deployed to relieve the bottles of their caps and we had a booze up in the forecourt of Tescos garage. I suspect everyone was feeling a little bit pummelled by now - but there was a fair slice to consume before the arrivée at Whitehall.
Matt was cheering us on as we passed. He had got the train back for a long, lazy lunch and was strolling along..."Oh hi Matt - Cheers! Thanks!" were exclaimed, while under my breath I was muttering 'you lucky ba$t....'
On Radius' home patch now, and swift progress was made through London's flabby traffic as we approached Westminster - fast and furious is the ordinary way to describe it. A lovely ride with a nice bunch of guys is another.
The descent of Bury Hill and all that kamikaze traffic roulette at the end makes me think again of the handlebars...ultimately, the perfect time to fail me - well done my handlebars.:o)

And the winner is:

2a83m1z.jpg

:bravo:

Ride stats: Des, Andy, Jack & I did about 270kms (168m) +/- allez retour - mike e did all that + Hull to Colchester! Nutter!

BigSteev

Origamist said:
Big Steve's blow-out with only a few miles to go rivaled a pantomime hiss.

Well a day spent investigating this has finally revealed the cause and I'm laying the blame firmly in the lap of the flint path. There's a small split in my front tyre (big enough to see the tube) so I'm quite lucky to have finished the ride on it, plus another 40 or so miles on to Brighton, home from Victoria and into work today. However, not wishing to chance it further now I've spotted the problem, it's now residing there until a replacement Pro3 arrives (not from Evans who wanted £10 more than I can get them online for!!)

Top Bottom