FNRttC Christmas Ride and Drinks. Thursday 29th December 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Damn. Does this mean I missed my favourite librarian?
Well, yes, Tim!
Katie was at her radiant best and missing you with a dewey-eyed look that only bibliophiles could ever know...:snowball:
Crap - I have just got indoors. after chewing the fat with User (man - he's fat!) and jousting with the traffic along the A5.
I had so little time to see so many peeps so, anyone I didn't speak at length with (except Davy) thank you for your company and 'Happy New Year' :birthday:xx

Shaun

Founder
Looks like a great turn-out. A few peeps I recognise and some great pics M as always ... :thumbsup: ... hope you all got home safe ... :cheers:

The 'Titus Tag Team' were excellent and in good humour, despite my awkwardness at times - I agree with Miranda that they should get a big thank you...lots more folk than Titus anticipated and it was all very efficient - and free.:bravo:
The lead-out was good, with the massed crowds outside Buckingham Palace applauding (probably they recognised Simon as distant royalty...) as we rolled through the roundabout and out. No punctures - I think? and only four people hit the deck at any given point during the afternoon / evening...:whistle:
hope there are no bruises this morning! All good fun, and the traffic didn't disturb the day too much, I thought, and I was pleased to make it to the start. (And the finish ha ha!)

Another class photo by Miceycles below - great 'spot' 10/10!

IMG_3543.JPG

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I thought the bike-marking was a great success - a far cry from the days when they die-stamped your postcode to the frame with a mallet. I'll drop a thankyou note on everybody's behalf. I wonder if they'd be up for an 11.30 pm session?

Thankyou all for coming along - the turnout (42) was far higher than I'd counted on, so our progress was a little on the slow side, but we got to AB1 before 3. I'm just hoping that FNRttC regulars were paying attention, because there will be questions on the next ride.......

I concentrated on the bits you won't find in Wikipedia, drawing on a local historian of Pimlico (now dead), Pevsner and the excellent 'London the unique city' by Steen Eiler Rasmussen which was written back in 1934. Anybody who wants a borrow of the latter can just let me know.

philk56

Guru
Thanks Simon for another good ride, being a born and bred Londoner it's always good to learn more about our great city. And certainly wasn't expecing such support around Buckingham Palace! We should have probably stayed on for a few more beers to avoid the apocalyptic weather riding back through North London.

Happy New Year to you all..

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd forgotten the heckler! I half-thought he'd gone off to get his mates.

I take it, Tim, that the brown beer is a reference to the run-off from the graveyard?

I didn't tell you about the Scottish soldiers left to die of typhus and starvation on the marshes at Millbank - a pleasure to be savoured another time!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
okeydokey - I need some help here. Chap on a yellow recumbent, 50s, grey hair, jewish, can't come on the rides because of shabbat. Any name (I was introduced, but alcohol has erased his name from my head) or contact details much appreciated.

clivedb

Guru
That was certainly a fun day out - as well as educational - will I ever be able to eat lasagne again? - easier being a vegetarian (more or less). Thanks as ever to Simon!

And yes, many thanks also to Titus's team for turning out and being very patient with us. Great to get my bike registered - one of those things on the to-do list that never get done.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Many thanks to Titus and Dellzeg for a great ride around London with all the information about the architecture. Had to take shelter in a bus stop on the way home as the heavens opened, but a great day all round. Nice to see some of the Friday nighters in the daylight for a change.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've dredged up Bob's e-mail address and sent him a brief diagram of my submission to the chief Rabbi. Four bikes, car aerials (sponsored by Alan Sugar) and elasticated wire. The first mobile eruv!

(the truth is rather less exotic - I've given him the dates of the two ThursdayNRttCs - the one immediately before Good Friday, and the Newhaven run that leads on to Paris)

GM

Legendary Member
Thanks again Simon for a very interesting day out, having worked in a lot of the buildings in London it's nice to know the history behind some of them. Great to meet some of the regulars. As Paul and Philip have said above, the ride home was reminiscent of the FNRttC to Brighton back in July. Many thanks to Titus and team for the bike registering.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year and see you on the next one!

Top Bottom