FNRttC FNRttC Christmas Ride " Reach for the Stars' Monday 28th December 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimble

Veteran
For those following at home, I was spotted by Tim at Trafalgar Square and caught up with the ride.
I've just rolled straight on to a train at Euston, so am fully prepared for wasting energy in Northampton.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thank you to Inspector @akabob and deputy chief @mmmmartin for an entertaining outing. And to @rvw for waiting in for the plumber, whose coming was delayed until shortly before 3pm and who left a kinky pipe behind.

The temperature was remarkably fine for December - I rode most of the way round in a t-shirt and light (Christmas) jumper with the sleeves pushed up. But then I am quite well padded these days.

Our leaders had managed to time the ride almost to the minute, despite one puncture - if we hadn't had to enjoy a lecturette before we set off on the glories of the Wellington Arch we would have rolled into All Bar One on the dot of 2:59.

The route was a circuitous tour around London. HPC - Buck House - Traf Square - Regent Street - Great Portland Street - through the back streets of Bloomsbury along roads I've been riding for 20 years on a commute but still can't name - Chancery Lane - HOlborn Viaduct - St Pauls - across Blackfriars Bridge - Southwark Street - round the back via the fallen women's (alleged) cemetery to the Shard - across London Bridge - through Leadenhall Market - past the Gherkin - back doown Gracechurch Street - Eastcheap - walking around the Tower of London and finally across Tower Bridge. Stopping every so often at tall (ish) buildings of various architectural styles, mostly office blocks but including a prison, a memorial and a cathedral.

It was lovely to see so many there - 64 on the official list, so proably 70+ in total. Good to see old friends and acquaintances, as well as some new ones, with an age range of 2 to 72 and then some (I suspect). Here's to another year of the Fridays.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
What a cracking ride! Thanks @AKA Bob and @mmmmartin for running the show, and thanks to everyone at the Fridays for a stunning year in the saddle. Here are some pics of today's adventures.

20151228-IMG_3133.jpg

20151228-IMG_3135.jpg

20151228-IMG_3138.jpg

20151228-IMG_3139.jpg

20151228-IMG_3141.jpg

20151228-IMG_3142.jpg

20151228-IMG_3143.jpg

20151228-IMG_3144.jpg

20151228-IMG_3145.jpg

20151228-IMG_3148.jpg

20151228-IMG_3152.jpg

mmmmartin

Random geezer
that ride and company was really really enjoyable. it was a great day out.
a thank you email will go out to those on the mailing list in about a week, when today's riders not already on the list have had a chance to sign up. the email will thank those who joined us today and provide an update/reminder on lots of little adventures planned for the rest of the year.
next christmas we plan an introduction to night riding that starts at midnight at HPC and visits the Christmas lights of London - when there will be no traffic and the streets will be magical and empty - possibly including a halfway stop at an all-night curry house in Brick Lane (the real deal, not an English one). It is designed to be
  • FUN - and you will be shocked - SHOCKED - I tell you, to hear there may be beer available.
  • A first all-night ride with bail-out points and an early finish to get people over the hurdle of that first magical overnight experience. Yes, it's winter, but we can't find any Christmas Lights to look at in June.
And then a week or so later there'll be another of these social rides. *beer/shocked/etc*

Tim Hall

The bike sculpture is part if Sculpture in the City 2015 and is by Ai Weiwei. According to the City of London website:
Ai Weiwei’s groupings of stainless-steel bikes – configured in ever-expanding modular shapes and layers of geometrically stacked and fused individual frames, to create one larger structure – refer to the famous ‘Forever’ brand of bicycles that have been mass-manufactured in Shanghai since 1940. Once ubiquitous, this classic marque and indeed the perceived profusion of pushbikes on Beijing streets are now steadily dying out, to be replaced by cars. This irony is not lost on Ai or in the title of this series, which can incorporate as few as two bicycles and as many as 3,000. As in other works by Ai, not only does this multiplication suggest a congregation of people or a massing of humanity, but the underlying concepts of assembling, repeating and copying also play an important role, as does the lasting influence of Marcel Duchamp.

hatler

Guru
Great fun ! Thank you all. The kids had a ball.

subaqua

What’s the point
The bike sculpture is part if Sculpture in the City 2015 and is by Ai Weiwei. According to the City of London website:
And it's outside the gherkin . And I had pics about 2 months ago and was going to post with a funny caption on New Year's Day .

Ride sounded amazing , pity I was at hackney empire watching the panto.
I am up for some Friday style riding this year as I have been so good boy and mrs sub says I can

robjh

Legendary Member
Thanks @AKA Bob and @mmmmartin for a well thought-out and fun little tour. I now have a cricked neck from all that looking up (though some of the later bits were made easier as we were staring instead into holes where, Titus assured us, tall buildings will be built).
The Thames-side walkway at Shad Thames proved ideal for fixing punctures, and the repair job was obviously OK as it carried me 50 miles home at the end of the day.
A few pictorial reminders of our exploits :
20151228 Fridays London tour (4).JPG
20151228 Fridays London tour (5).JPG
20151228 Fridays London tour (7).JPG
20151228 Fridays London tour (10).JPG
20151228 Fridays London tour (11).JPG
20151228 Fridays London tour (18).JPG

Top Bottom