FNRttC FNRttC London to Cambridge - 14th June 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After slumbering like a drunken student for a few years, 14th June sees the re-emergence of London to Cambridge.

Setting off as usual at midnight from the Southbank, just by the BFI, this ride promises just under 70 miles of rolling road, with no gradient above 5%, and mainly downhill for the last 20 miles. Add in the delights of a motorway service area which isn't J31 and arriving in a place where cyclists are at least tolerated, possibly encouraged, it doesn't get much better.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I didn't slumber when registering for this one....having missed the one and only previous edition, looking forward to putting that right. Been a while since I've visited....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What route do you use? I'm plotting a London to Lynn a week later (through Ware, Puckridge and Cambridge) and wondering if your ride report might be interesting information.

spark303

Guru
I’m thinking of signing of for this but I’m a noob and I’m worried I might be too slow to keep up. What sort of average speed would be expected for one of these rides?

LucretiaMyReflection

What route do you use? I'm plotting a London to Lynn a week later (through Ware, Puckridge and Cambridge) and wondering if your ride report might be interesting information.
I suggest following the Fen Rivers Way closely from Cambridge to KL - mostly quiet roads with some riverside and cycle path.

Reactions: mjr

kimble

Veteran
In. I may come to regret this, as the train home from Cambridge involves the hated Stansted-Mordor service. But the ride should be good, and it's something I've never done.

mjr

I suggest following the Fen Rivers Way closely from Cambridge to KL - mostly quiet roads with some riverside and cycle path.
Thanks - I know it well but it's too much gravel and grass for a long ride and Queen Adelaide is horrible so we'll be B road to Wilburton, across Grunty Fen to Ely, old A10, Ten Mile Bank, then National 11 ignoring the sand entry to Downham.

LucretiaMyReflection

Thanks - I know it well but it's too much gravel and grass for a long ride and Queen Adelaide is horrible so we'll be B road to Wilburton, across Grunty Fen to Ely, old A10, Ten Mile Bank, then National 11 ignoring the sand entry to Downham.
Ah, that's what I meant, sorry, there are roads following the FRW but not actually on it ☺️

and arriving in a place where cyclists are at least tolerated, possibly encouraged,.

Err are you talking about Cambridge?:wacko::rofl:

I have on different occasions been nearly run over,cut up,told to 'fark off' and called a 'speccy c**t as well as being run into by other 'cyclists'.

mjr

Do the trains back have bike spaces?
The half hourly Thameslink trains do, marked with a bike symbol on the outside, plus the Kings Cross and Liverpool Street trains allow bikes to be put in the vestibules. Kings Cross trains also have two bike spaces past the disabled toilet but they're often taken up by luggage.

For completeness: Anglia services north/east mostly have 4-6 unreserved bike spaces, Great Northern are the same as the Kings Cross trains and Cross Country require reservations

Top Bottom