FNRttC FNRttC Maldon May 24th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Registration for the Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Maldon edition on Friday night 24th May is now open.

A gentle trip out on quiet cyclewàys to Cheshunt (luxe comfort stop) then soon into the dark lanes up past The Henry Moore Foundation at Perry Green, before we turn on to an exposed ridge to start across Essex.

Our halfway point is Hatfield Heath, where you will be fed, watered and warmed for a flat fee of £6 - please bring correct change. Sawbridgeworth Station is close by for any who might wish to turn for home. The first train to Liverpool Street station leaves at 5.11am.

At first light we'll pass through the Rodings, the Easters and the Walthams, before we descend alongside The Chelmer and into Maldon for breakfast at The Jolly Sailor.

Overall distance is 104km, and pretty flat - eminently doable on fixed gear. Not super-speedy, but relaxed and sociable. And absolutely no off-road. Apart from a teeny bit.

Getting home: Maldon Station is in Station Road. Unfortunately, the last train was in 1964. So there are two options for getting home. The easy option is Witham at 12km. For the more energetic, there is the option of a pleasant ride to Shenfield (about 35km) for Liverpool Street, or ride on to Upminster (46km) for Fenchurch Street. Suggested routes will be provided in the briefing email nearer the ride.

All the details and a link to the registration form are on the website.

kimble

Veteran
In. :okay:

LucretiaMyReflection

Trying to persuade my brother to take part (he lives in London) but I think he prefers sleeping.

lifted from orange brompton report
'At I think Enfield we came to a stop and waited for the tail to catch up. A lone cyclist -James - going home on his bike (a pretty fine Mercian) enquired about what we were doing and where we were going. He liked the sound of it and ended up riding the rest of the journey with us. How brilliant is that! I chatted to him for a while. He was on his way home after a drink with friends when he saw us. Asking whether he had the ride on STRAVA he said that he did. Thankfully that all important evidence is there.'

Top Bottom