FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I could be tempted Martin.

I've done a bit of research and the ferry is £35 return, the cheapest hotel I can find is also £35 (but quite central in Dieppe). On the plus side, I love just being in France ( I even like Calais) as the whole atmosphere seems to be different to the UK. On the downside, £70 for one night, bearing in mind I'll have just cycled through the previous night so will be sleepy and won't be able to drink too much cos of the cycle back from Newhaven.

I'm torn!!

martint235

Dog on a bike
That's a lot for one night and a few beers (which will cost extra)! Have you looked at the Etap hotel in Dieppe? Very cheap & basic but fine for one night (and they stored bikes safely too).

Yep that's the one at £35. It is a lot to effectively sit outside (hopefully) in the sun (hopefully) and drink beer. But it would be an adventure of sorts and it would be in France.

Yesssss please! So been looking forward to this moment!

I'll ride the 25 miles south of Dieppe, stay overnight, and then cycle to my folks in Belgium the next day. Going via Paris would make it too far, shame though ... I'll try and plot an alternative.

If last year's events can persuade anybody: FNRttC Dieppe 2010

AlexB

Veteran
Simon,
What's your route to Paris likely to involve?

This is tempting I have to admit and I have relatives aplenty in France, although further south...(300km further south as the corw flies...)
However, this might be an adventure worth tempting...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Blimey - it does rather restrict things to London-dwellers, doesn't it :angry:
yup. And they don't make it easy for us.

the only thing I can suggest is the alternative method. The boys at EuroDirecte will tell you how many places there are - but it might just pay to ask them to check for recent registrations - the bookings are transferred to a spreadsheet by hand.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the Formule 1 hotel in Dieppe is fantastically cheap. They almost pay you. It's.....functional

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Simon,
What's your route to Paris likely to involve?
there are two alternatives. The first is the Avenue Verte, which Stuart G knows about. The second is the road that runs along the river to Saint-Saen, and then go over to the Oise. I'm not thinking of going via Rouen, but could possibly be persuaded if somebody was very keen.

StuartG

slower but further
I have done the Saint-Sean valley too. Very beautiful. AV is easier and maybe faster if knackered. Tactical decision on the day?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There have been a lot of enquiries about the NEWHAVEN/DIEPPE/PARIS trip.

This is the skinny. We’ll leave Hyde Park Corner at midnight on Thursday 21[sup]st[/sup] July and stop for tea and biccies at an anonymous international airport somewhere in Sussex. We then go on via Turners Hill, Ardingly, Slugwash Lane and down some delightful back roads to Lewes, before running down the western side of the Ouse to the 'scenic' port of Newhaven. Some people will catch the train home from Newhaven and some will take the 9.00 ferry to Dieppe. Some of the Dieppsters will stay in town for a day or two (there’s a marvellous market on Saturday morning) and return by ferry, but others will go on to Paris, where a ride even more famous than the FNRttC will finish on Sunday the 24[sup]th[/sup].

Now - I want you to pay close attention to the following.....

Returning from Paris. You can catch a slow train to Dieppe, changing at Rouen, and take the ferry back. Simples

Or you might want to take the Eurostar back. And bring your bike.

Rail Europe cannot sell you a ticket for the bike. Eurostar cannot sell you a ticket for the bike. They can only sell you the same tickets as Rail Europe at two and a half times the price. Only EuroDirecte, which is part of Eurostar can sell you a ticket for the bike - for £30. EuroDirecte will only sell you a ticket for the bike if you already have a ticket for yourself. So you have to buy a (presumably non-refundable) ticket for yourself before you buy the ticket for the bike unless you employ..................... The Dellzeqq Method.

1. Choose your train, and pick a reserve train or two (just think of it as AV for trains).
2. Call EuroDirecte on 08448225822 and ask them if the bike spaces are taken. There are eight spaces on each train. Susie and I are on the 10.13am (train 9019) from Paris to London on 24th July
3. Then go to Rail Europe at 1 Regent Street - it's hidden in the British Tourist Office. Be prepared to wait forty minutes.
4. Book the ticket, get the six letter reservation code, but do not hand over your debit card.
5. Call EuroDirecte again from the Rail Europe desk and book the bike space over the phone. My advice is to tell them not to e-mail the tickets to you - go and collect them afterwards. They're not too hot on the letters and numbers thing, and you won't get their fancy labels.
6. Complete your purchase at Rail Europe and toddle over to EuroDirecte which is at the arse end of St. Pancras Station. Pick up tickets, check details on confirmation slip (they will be wrong) and ask for fancy labels.

I've missed out steps a, b, c, and d which involve being told a load of nonsense and shuffling round central London for half a day.....I've had more fun checking out Tesco's toilets.

The next best thing is to check with Euro Directe, book on the Rail Europe website and call back EuroDirecte as soon as the website gives you your six letter code.

There are some further complications.

You have to deliver your pride and joy to an outfit that is either called Sernam or Geopart at the southwest corner of the Gare du Nord on the Rue de Dunkerque. You have to deliver it at least 90 minutes before the departure time. The Sernam/Geopart office should open at seven in the morning, but may not open until half past seven. This means that you will be cutting it fine if you have a ticket for the 9.13 train. The boys at EuroDirecte, who, it must be said, relished their pivotal role in these matters, a role made even more pivotal by the ignorance of the people at Eurostar and Rail Europe, advised against the 9.13.

Eurostar only offer £100 insurance. On a £30 ticket that's pretty crap.

Alternative: The origami method. If you can fold and/or dismantle the bike and get it in a bag that conforms to Eurostar's luggage rules, they'll carry it free of charge.
For getting back, another option would be SNCF to Caen/Cherbourg/Dieppe/Calais & ferry.

I'm probably going to pass on this, due to preposterous limitation on the number of Fridays I'm allowed off- already got more than my allocation by asking nicely, don't want to push it.

Alternative: The origami method. If you can fold and/or dismantle the bike and get it in a bag that conforms to Eurostar's luggage rules, they'll carry it free of charge.
For getting back, another option would be SNCF to Caen/Cherbourg/Dieppe/Calais & ferry.

I'm probably going to pass on this, due to preposterous limitation on the number of Fridays I'm allowed off- already got more than my allocation by asking nicely, don't want to push it.

Another alternative, if you are London based and do not need the bike straight away, is to have it sent as baggage. From the Eurostar website:

"Or you may simply wish to use our registered baggage service which also operates between London, Paris and Brussels Eurostar terminals as well as Lille Europe but does not guarantee your bike travels on the same train as you. We will do our utmost to send your bike on the next available service, space permitting. However, our guarantee is that your bike will be available to collect at your Eurostar destination station within 24 hours after registration.

But this service also allows you to send your bike in advance of your journey and then it’ll be ready to collect when you arrive. If not, you can still turn up on the day. So if you are able to be that little bit more flexible, this can also be a useful option.

Charges are €27,50 and it’s necessary to show your Eurostar ticket or booking reference when you register. The charge is non-refundable but exchangeable before departure date subject to availability."

I am coming over for the Brighton ride next week on the Eurostar and have booked the bike with me. The baggage people were very helpful (lets hope the staff in Brussels are equally professional :rolleyes: ). I took a slight risk and bought the ticket before reserving the bike but I knew I could send it in advance if needed.

iLB

Hello there
hmm, i would love to see the end of le tour

and was planning a short ride to Nice and Monaco anyway... following the Paris-Nice route then switching to the end of the Milan san Remo route on the last day. could be a nice spring board
whistling.gif

Top Bottom