FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
for those of you thinking about going to Dieppe and then returning........the return trip from Newhaven to Gatwick Station (in my case - I had a train to catch back to France at eight that same morning) was, without doubt, one of the greatest cycle rides of my life. I didn't write about it at the time - because I was lounging beside a pool in Provence, but also because I'm simply not up to the job of describing the ride.

Wow - why was it so wonderful?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the light hung in the air like crystal

frank9755

Cyclist
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
no artificial substances at all. Just clear air, quiet roads, some of which I'd never ridden northwards at night. The air was so clear that we could hear conversations as we passed. We saw a couple of parties in progress, one a half mile or so across fields, and it was as if we were at the party.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
perceptions heightened by fatigue and the joy of escaping Newhaven perhaps....?

Wish I could join you but I can't. Will be on a ferry of my own round then heading for Northern Spain, with a bicycle or two on the boot rack and the lovely Helen on my arm.

Tim Hall

Hmm. It all sounds a bit good. I'll put a marker down for London Town Devine to Newhaven as a minimum.

Just spoken with the HMQM, she's interested too.

Simon, I've emailed you with a plan regarding refreshments.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hmm. It all sounds a bit good. I'll put a marker down for London Town Devine to Newhaven as a minimum.

Just spoken with the HMQM, she's interested too.

Simon, I've emailed you with a plan regarding refreshments.
and it's a good plan. YHM

StuartG

slower but further
no artificial substances at all
The affect, dear Simon, of Tim's mind dumbing cheese. A substance way beyond a quaff of LSD. A party? I could hear the very birth pangs of the universe. But thanks for the draft otherwise I would still be trying to find my way out of Lewes ...

marna

I was all set to be persuaded, and then checked my calendar - I am busy watching India beat England at cricket on the Saturday. I guess I could come to Dieppe and back.... Or at least to Newhaven....

marna

Would it be daft to get the ferry to Dieppe and then straight back again? Saturday, even the *yawn* 5am ferry is not early enough.

TimO

Guru
Much as I'd like to do this, I'll still be forbidden from cycling at this point. :sad:

Last year it was quite fun, especially since a Thursday departure means the roads are even quieter on the way out of London.

The breakfast wasn't the most salubrious of locations, but the staff were friendly, and it was filling enough.

The ride along the sea front from Newhaven to Brighton was interesting, and last year would have been better if I hadn't borked my knee in some fashion on the ride to Newhaven. It's a bit up and down, but the final bit right along Madeira Drive from the marina makes a nice finish, followed by a coffee and some people watching in Brighton. :biggrin:

Top Bottom