FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
hmm, i would love to see the end of le tour

and was planning a short ride to Nice and Monaco anyway... following the Paris-Nice route then switching to the end of the Milan san Remo route on the last day. could be a nice spring board
whistling.gif

Sounds a lot easier just to ride to Nice rather than mess around trying to book your bike on Eurostar!

iLB

Hello there
Sounds a lot easier just to ride to Nice rather than mess around trying to book your bike on Eurostar!

then we just have to work out how to get back from Nice
cool.gif

Quagga

Almost extinct
Can you put me (Carl P) down for the Newhaven leg please Simon.
And if there's a list of people who fancy waving the ferry off and then finding somewhere in Newhaven for a quick drink, I'd like to add my name to that list too

marna

I am horribly tempted by this, if I can get the cash and the leave together. I don't think I could get half the way and not continue to Paris. I would cry! Paris loves me and I love it! So, um, how are you getting to Paris, and how long are you taking to get there, and how convoluted a route are you taking, (and are there hills)?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I am horribly tempted by this, if I can get the cash and the leave together. I don't think I could get half the way and not continue to Paris. I would cry! Paris loves me and I love it! So, um, how are you getting to Paris, and how long are you taking to get there, and how convoluted a route are you taking, (and are there hills)?
first off, Susie would love you to come - so be prepared for The Persuasion.

it's pretty flat. My road route had only one single 'fleche' on it, which, I think, is under 10%. Stuart G tells us the Avenue Verte is flatter. Dieppe to the Arc de Triomphe is about 104 miles - we'd aim to do the first 20 or so on the Friday afternoon, and the rest on Saturday. I think that the weather might play a big part, but, once again, Stuart will know. I imagine that the last 25/30 miles in to Paris could be a bit crap.

If we stayed overnight in Saint-Saens http://en.wikipedia...._Seine-Maritime then we might stop at one of these
Chambres d'hôtes à Saint Saëns
http://www.ville-sai...page.php?id=3_4
- rue des tanneurs : ( gîtes de France 2 épis ) 2 chambres - 7 personnes
- Almazan house : 2 chambres - 5 personnes
- Le Jardin de Muriel : ( gîtes de France 3 épis ), 3 chambres – 8 personnes
- Le Logis d'Eawy : (gîtes de France 3 épis ), 4 chambres - 11 personnes
- Les écuries : 5 chambres - 14 personnes
Le Logis d'Eawy seems nice http://www.thebestbe...aens-v3226.html and it's not unreasonable - 2 suites and 2 rooms with shower and WC. 55 euros (1 pers.), 65 to 73 euros (2 pers.), 93 euros (3 pers.), 113 euros (4 pers.). Extra bed 17 euros.

Le Jardin de Muriel is recommended in gay guides, so should be ok - then again it 'nestles on the heights of the town.....' http://www.thebestbe...aens-v3095.html 1 suite with shower, WC and kitchenette. 2 rooms with bath and WC. 57 euros (1 pers.), 70 euros (2 pers.), 95 euros (3 pers.), 110 euros (4 pers.), 125 euros (5 pers.).

Le Maison de Docteur Vassaux looks stonking http://www.thebestbe...aens-v3325.html 2 rooms with shower and WC. 51 euros (1 pers.), 55 euros (2 pers.). 1 gite also for rent.

I'm not sure what we'd do in Paris. We'd need a place to stay that would keep the bikes secure. Susie, Titus and I are booked to return on the Eurostar 10.13 (train 9019) on Sunday morning. As of yesterday the other five bike spaces were still vacant, but see warnings above. Avoid the 9.13 train if you can. The tickets for us cost £62, and the bikes cost £8. If you go to the Rail Europe office you'll pay a booking fee, but if you go to Eurostar you'll pay a booking fee and £179 for the tickets

wanda2010

Guru
I'm in, but just the HPC to Newhaven leg though. As much as I'd love to do the whole trip, finances won't permit so I'll do the whole trip next year. Delayed pleasure hopefully, but I suspect I'll wave you guys off enviously ;)

Beers and chips before the homeward train journey anyone?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
last year we had breakfast just opposite the port - we'd got in to Newhaven at seven, and had an hour or so to wait before check-in. Some us remember the breakfast as being a touch rudimentary.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
for those of you thinking about going to Dieppe and then returning........the return trip from Newhaven to Gatwick Station (in my case - I had a train to catch back to France at eight that same morning) was, without doubt, one of the greatest cycle rides of my life. I didn't write about it at the time - because I was lounging beside a pool in Provence, but also because I'm simply not up to the job of describing the ride.

for those of you thinking about going to Dieppe and then returning........the return trip from Newhaven to Gatwick Station (in my case - I had a train to catch back to France at eight that same morning) was, without doubt, one of the greatest cycle rides of my life. I didn't write about it at the time - because I was lounging beside a pool in Provence, but also because I'm simply not up to the job of describing the ride.

What a load of cobblers.

Top Bottom