FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Paris bounders: anyone thinking of cycling/training back to Dieppe? If so will you be exiting Paris before the TdF ends or maybe staying all Sunday and returning Monday?

Stuart - good questions!

I've booked my ferry over and hotel in Dieppe and am intending to ride to Paris on the Saturday, but still debating what to do afterwards. But taking in the Tour finish and going back to Dieppe on the Monday, then overnight ferry / ride home sounds like a rather fun long weekend...

What are you thinking of doing?

Who are you calling a bounder...?
whistling.gif

Stuart - good questions!

I've booked my ferry over and hotel in Dieppe and am intending to ride to Paris on the Saturday, but still debating what to do afterwards. But taking in the Tour finish and going back to Dieppe on the Monday, then overnight ferry / ride home sounds like a rather fun long weekend...

Who are you calling a bounder...?
whistling.gif

"Le grand bimbleau" :smile: One thing's for sure: You can always tell a steep slope in France because it's got a 'chevre on' or two...

Luke, there's a French Market in Windsor if you're desperate :tongue:

I'm tempted to go over to Dieppe and stay for the Saturday market before getting the evening ferry back.

It will all depend if I can pull my finger out and get my passport renewed in time, otherwise it'll just be to Newhaven.

Oh no Luke! :blush: Not.. the hairy stuff (that was) on your face causing a prob. I hope? :sad: Take a driving licence instead.
If you need to get a new passport, I strongly recommend the Post Office to cast an expert eye over it. I got a new one three days after I paid my £8 for checking.
I got a Czech passport back, mind you...

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Just booked a Etap Hotel room in Paris for £50. Couldn't face the idea of the Formula1 communal bathing! Eurostar sorted plus bike on the same train thanks to the wonderful Mr Delzegg. Only decision to make is to head south on the Friday or to be led astray by Frank and Aperitiff in Dieppe?????

StuartG

slower but further

What is at issue is booking that return ferry ticket soon. I had problems last year getting a cycle ferry reservation at the last minute so book early to avoid collision with other cyclists would seem to be a good idea. Its a case of booking Sunday or Monday.

Sunday means catching the Rouen/Dieppe train in the morning. Monday would give the possibility of cycling back. That would mean setting off in the afternoon to, say, Beauvais for the night with a final 63 mile dash to Dieppe Monday for the late afternoon ferry reaching Newhaven at 9pm connecting to the 9.33 train to London (only a fiver on an apex ticket). In bed by midnight!

It looks like things will work around my plans once again. I'll come as far a Newhaven before turning west for around 15k.

Cheap. Best have our life jackets handy.

Go_West%2C_Young_Man_1936.jpg

redjedi

Über Member
Oh no Luke! :blush: Not.. the hairy stuff (that was) on your face causing a prob. I hope? :sad: Take a driving licence instead.
If you need to get a new passport, I strongly recommend the Post Office to cast an expert eye over it. I got a new one three days after I paid my £8 for checking.
I got a Czech passport back, mind you...

I shouldn't have any problems. The rest of my face already looked this bad when I was 20 so not much has changed. I just need to actually go and get the forms and photos done.

frank9755

Cyclist
What is at issue is booking that return ferry ticket soon. I had problems last year getting a cycle ferry reservation at the last minute so book early to avoid collision with other cyclists would seem to be a good idea. Its a case of booking Sunday or Monday.

Sunday means catching the Rouen/Dieppe train in the morning. Monday would give the possibility of cycling back. That would mean setting off in the afternoon to, say, Beauvais for the night with a final 63 mile dash to Dieppe Monday for the late afternoon ferry reaching Newhaven at 9pm connecting to the 9.33 train to London (only a fiver on an apex ticket). In bed by midnight!

I need to understand better what happens on the Sunday when the Tour finishes, but I would have thought that it might be a good night in Paris, hence go back on Monday. Need to do a bit more research....

Thanks for the prompt on early booking!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm tempted to go over to Dieppe and stay for the Saturday market before getting the evening ferry back.

It will all depend if I can pull my finger out and get my passport renewed in time, otherwise it'll just be to Newhaven.

Luke, ferry back is at 6pm. What's the plan for filling the day and would you ride back from Newhaven to London?

Top Bottom