FNRttC FNRttC: Whitstable - 17 August 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Outlaw Hobbs

For all the many reasons eloquently expressed upthread; it was indeed a thoroughly enjoyable trip that I'll always remember. Highlights for me were:
Passing time with all you good humoured, polite and interesting folk
  • Far more experienced cycling buddy suffering a puncture due to poor rim tape maintenance and then finding none of his spares and tools were of any use - the Germans I believe have a word for the pleasure it gave me.
  • Deciding to participate in the marshes sprint - (albeit a bit late starting) me for the challenge and buddy because he didn't want to queue up for breakfast.
  • Passing the old bungalow on Seasalter beach where we lived as students of Canterbury University a looong time ago.
  • Celebratory Guinness at the waterfront
  • Second celebratory Guinness in the Continental Hotel bar sat on comfy leather seats (note for the ladies - the bar has beautifully refurbished clean and spacious loos to freshen up in)
  • Third and Fourth celebratory Guinness in the Betjeman Arms, a traditional old pub hidden away on upper floor of St Pancras International.
  • Fish and Chips at home (with another Guinness).

Its all OK; according to my Fitbit app we burned 2,000 calories on the ride and the black stuff is a mere 200 calories per pint.

StuartG

slower but further
I've never much liked having my forename and surname initial published. Perhaps now, with the extra attention being given to data privacy, is a good time to reconsider it?
Hope not. It's a nice compromise between privacy and a friendly ride - in that people who are nothing to do with the ride or don't know you can't identify you and those who have shared with you before can. And nice to know to look out for you DT.

It is after all a GROUP ride. A friendly ride, a welcoming ride. People who aren't going to volunteer their first name aren't going to help that. Until we get rid of three Sarahs then an a leading character from the surname also serves a helpful service.

Indeed I took my CC moniker from DZ's listing method. Status Quo please - which may identify where I live - oops!

StuartG

slower but further
"unwilling to have their name published on a public forum"
The point is it isn't a recognisable name except to yourself and those that you have [voluntarily] shared your true persona on the ride. Not to the general public or even me. That was DZ's trick.

I'm a bit sad that this great ride and sunrise has hit this sour note. Can you possibly put your reservations aside? And did anyone spot the Queen's other friend in Whitstable by the same artist who trades as Catman:

LFRS3KZBE4UYR0J1XFVG.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I liked @GrumpyGregry's idea of including forum names but understand the objections too. It was nice to be able to put a name and a face to @Salty seadog at the halfway stop on Saturday morning but that was freely offered in conversation. It's a subject that is more complicated than it first looks.
I understand, and accept, the misgivings/objections.

My personal challenge is that it you tell me your name after midnight on a ride I'm unlikely to remember it, and not for want of trying.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Next up, Oxford. Keep an eye on your emails and the website for details.
Well.... registration opened a few days ago......

Top Bottom