FNRttC FNRttC: Whitstable - 17 August 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Did a bit of research....
https://bikebooboos.com/drivetrain/loose-cassette/
https://www.roadbikerider.com/how-to-fix-a-loose-cassette-on-a-bike/
(Neither might have helped in this case, but might be helpful for TECs).

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What a splendid ride that turned-out to be!
Lots of lovely new chatty people, good weather, fab pit-stop chez team-Decker, splendidly timed sunrise, good brekkie and beer.
Me, @Salty seadog, Adrian and Peter G. set-off along the coast sight-seeing aiming for Deal to add another 40 miles to the day. We got as far as Sandwich where Peter and Adrian caught a train at 1433 towards their homes. Approx. 110 lovely miles.

Big thanks to Ross, TECs, Waymarkers and last but not least, Mr All-Upper.

Finally, thanks to all that participated on that warm night!

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Not you. Dogtrousers. Now, get back in that tumble-dryer. ^_^

rockpig

Über Member
A fabulous night ride. The weather was kind, the sunrise was spectacular and my first time taking part in the breakfast sprint was great fun if rather knackering (I got dropped coming through Seasalter but still had the biggest grin on my face). Thanks to @rb58 for leading (and apologies for calling you Russ all night, I have no idea why I did that) and everyone else I chatted with along the way. That was something quite special.

IMG_1041.jpg

jiberjaber

Veteran
Well that was a great day out. Couldn't have asked for better weather and we were rewarded with an excellent sunrise and the Raspberry Hill version was fantastic.

No trip to Whitstable is complete without a mad dash for the last 10km across the marshes and I was determined not to get mixed up in that knowing I had a headwind ride home.... of course that plan failed and I found myself doing my best Segan impression of wheel surfing amongst the unofficial race peloton.

I'd picked a wheel and it was a good one, after about 3km in to the run in when he went for a breakaway I was on him like glue a couple of others joined on and the "race" was truly on. I took a turn on the front after we had turned to follow the sea and settled in to a pace which I thought was more sustainable - looking at the data we were still turning 35kph.
As we rounded the corner to Seasalter, A bloke who for the purpose of this write up and to avoid annoying anyone I shall call 'bob' who was not on his Brompton this time, made a break. Knowing this was where the incline was, I had been holding back a couple of matches and A bloke who for the purpose of this write up and to avoid annoying anyone I shall call 'bob' had a moment of fame being at the sharp end until the incline started to take effect and we started to real him back in.
As we crested the incline another attack came and I countered pushing past 1KW for the third time in this 10km to section and pulled away from everyone which I held till we hit the lights.... from here on in it was still a fast approach but we were in and out of traffic so it was more of a traffic light GP, I think I was 4th in to The Waterfront and wondering how I was going to feel on the return home...

Myself, StuG, Ian and Rb58 set off to return home was the standard route in reverse, I paused to grab a picture of the Queen on the way out and it then took the full first 10km of the route for my legs to finally start working which was a struggle as Rb58 was at a distinctly none audax pace from the off and whilst I could sort of match 28kph, I couldn't close the gap so suffered with the headwind. We stopped off at Upchruch to refuel (Magnum and Jam Doughnut) and then headed in to Rochester which was bumper to bumper with traffic. I departed here towards Gravesend, Stu went off to grab a few more miles towards his 100 and Ross & Ian headed in to the train station.

I headed off towards Gravesend (managing to get stung in my armpit on the way!) and followed the gravel route in to Gravesend (it wasn't sheltered from the wind unfortunately). If the ferry hadn't been at the quay I probably would have jacked here and suffered the train home as my armpit was on fire. Geoff introduced himself to me on the Ferry who had also been on the ride, he was on his way home to Southend. Rest of the journey was uneventful though the roads were busier than I was expecting. I stopped a pub in Horndon On The Hill for a pint and had to leave as I was struggling to keep my eyes open.... plodded home and was at the front door for 16:00.

ZvOGFfQj

FquLqVWC

QJKP4tza

CJnK7e1X

jJkJUDCM

Co282jpM

mhyyVBdh

EI3zPNAK

GaebWFkc

V658zub7

THENaTt9

tjExiIBd

Nh1PfLBH

Last edited:

jiberjaber

Veteran
Not me.
I wasn't on my Brompton, but I'm way too slow for these kind of shenanigans.

I crossed the marshes at a more genteel pace before winding things up a little bit to dizzying speeds like 28km/h in order to get the train.

I appear to be confused of Essex this morning (no change there then...) I am sure it was a Friday's jersey in front up the climb.... perhaps when we spoke at The Waterfront was where my confusion started with who it was :smile:

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Excellent ride. Very excellent ride. Most memorable highlight? Failing, for the first time ever, to out downhill someone on a Fridays' ride. I blame the bag, and my b*gg*r*d shoulder cramping my tucking style, but she (didn't catch a name, purple Rapha top) had the best tuck ever, very aero, and I just couldn't make myself smaller. Later she said she was from Horsham originally so maybe we have something in the water here that makes us descend.

Big thanks to Anton and Tim D, for the second half natter, Tim H for getting me home on the train and teaching me a money-saving trick, and Ross, Charlie and Adrian for topping and tailing us all. Big shout out to Team Decker for all they are doing in Strood.

Top Bottom