Focus or Giant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I have been using my Hybrid over the winter and have shed quite a lot of timber and am fitter now that I have ever been. It's been hard but worth it.

I promised myself I would get myself another road bike when I could do it a bit of justice and have seen 2 second-hand ones that I'd welcome views on:

Giant Defy 0 - it's about 2 years old, hardly used with 105 front and Ultegra rear mech. Size M.

Focus Izalco Race - virtually new bike and looks nice. 105 front and rear. Size 57 which 'may' be a tad big as I generally use a 56 (they jump from 54 to 57, bizarrely).

I am 5'11" and will be using it for fitness and leisure mainly, no racing. I have owned Giant bikes before so know the brand, not so the Focus.

Any views on which may be the better buy?

You already think the Focus may be too big so you'd have to try it for size, but you need to try them anyway and buy the one that makes you smile.

FWIW if it fits I'd get the Focus, (based purely on your two options), as I've had 3 Focus bikes and I like riding bikes you don't see everyday, whereas even though the Giant will be a great bike, you see the brand all the time, horses for courses and all that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you need to focus (sorry about the pun) on the condition of the bikes and how much use of otherwise they might have had. If the Focus is 'virtually new' and not seen much use I'd go for that.
The Defy might be a bit too small for you anyway.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ride them and see. Giant are the masters at making bikes perform above that which their spec says it should, but you won't know until you try them.

This - I'd recommend a Giant to anyone, but the overiding priority is that it fits and you're happy on it.
FWIW, I'm 5ft 9 with a 29 inch inside leg and a Giant M is a perfect fit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try them but an M Defy may be a little small?

What bit of the bike did focus actually measure to make it a 57?

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeedy. People often eschew the Defy because they're ubiquitous. However, this is the cutting off of ones nose to spite ones own face, because the reason they're ubiquitous is because the way they ride and perform at each price point is blooming superb. Very carefully thought out specs that might not look sexy on the lower spec machines, but which deliver the goods in functionality.

Chrome don't get you home.

When i bought my Felt i agonised for ages over that and the equivalent Defy. Some of the opposition looked bling or had a 'higher' spec, but none touched them for the way they got up the road, and that takes priority over posh names on components (I went for the Felt because the fit was perfect, but would not have cried if i'd had to take the Defy home instead).

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thanks all, pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I have always struggled with Giant’s sizing and compact frames - I could never get one quite right.

The Giant is also 3 years old whereas th Focus is a month old and hardly ridden. It may be a tad, and it is only a tad, too large but there are things i can do to mitigate that with position, stems etc so i think ill go for that one.

I think the Focus is the nicer looking bike and im getting it for 60% of the cost new. Receipt too as you never know with second hand.

Am looking forward to it though will be strange being back on a roadie.

bpsmith

Veteran
I started out on a Giant Defy 1 in 2014. Great bike to ride, but I just didn’t love the paint job. Moved on a year later, but still rate the bike very highly.

What I am saying is, as already said above, it’s a fantastic machine. If you like the look of it and the fit is good then you won’t be disappointed.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I started out on a Giant Defy 1 in 2014. Great bike to ride, but I just didn’t love the paint job. Moved on a year later, but still rate the bike very highly.

What I am saying is, as already said above, it’s a fantastic machine. If you like the look of it and the fit is good then you won’t be disappointed.

They are very well regarded but for the same money I'd be getting a 1 month old bike vs a 3 year old Giant.

Top Bottom