Focus or Giant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I could probably get to around £800 and may be shooting for the moon with that but I'll see. The Dolan is nice but I am not up for a trip to London.
Maybe he'd send it

If you have £800 there's lots of choice on older or 'less branded' models

lane

Veteran
[QUOTE="vickster, post: 5249956, member:

Cash or interest free CC only for me these days (self employed) And the limit isn't high enough :whistle:

[/QUOTE]

Same problem for me regarding the low limit! Plus our ctw is limited to certain retailers.

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes I'd be happy with something like that from a previous/this year. I tend to keep my stuff quite a while these days so ideally I am looking for something with a decent groupset on, pref 105, with a reasonably relaxed geometry for longer rides - no plans to get all crouchy :smile:.
@vickster has given quite a few good examples already, fair play. The only thing that I can’t agree with is the absence of black frames. :smile:

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/build/specification/view/specification_id/6/#groupset

£824 for the sportive with 105

Although there's nothing wrong with Tiagra

That does look a really nice bike - I am interested enough to ring them as they appear only to have XL in stock.

I am a bit out of touch with the groupset stuff so will take your word. I understand Tiagra has been updated to 4700 and that seems to get decent reviews so I will add that into the search options. I am not planning to try and become a competitive rider so as long as the bike has reasonable components that are durable I am not too fussed.

vickster

Legendary Member
That does look a really nice bike - I am interested enough to ring them as they appear only to have XL in stock.

I am a bit out of touch with the groupset stuff so will take your word. I understand Tiagra has been updated to 4700 and that seems to get decent reviews so I will add that into the search options. I am not planning to try and become a competitive rider so as long as the bike has reasonable components that are durable I am not too fussed.
Tiagra eminently durable, and replacement parts cheaper than 105 too

Don't discount SRAM rival either (my personal fave)

I think an XL Ribble will be too big though if you're under 6ft, didn't look at availability

There's this...Ormskirk must be closeby?

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/ro...sio-aluminium-road-bike-shimano-105-5800.html

You'll need to spend a little more for a hill friendly 11-32 cassette

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Oki doki - I will see what I can find.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Focus Izalco Race - virtually new bike and looks nice. 105 front and rear. Size 57 which 'may' be a tad big as I generally use a 56 (they jump from 54 to 57, bizarrely).

I am 5'11" and will be using it for fitness and leisure mainly, no racing. I have owned Giant bikes before so know the brand, not so the Focus.

Any views on which may be the better buy?

I can't comment on the bike's qualities because I'm not familiar with it, but I'm surprised you are saying it might be a bit too big @57 cm. I'm roughly the same size as you and I've got a hybrid and an old 3 speed that are both 23 1/2" (60 cm) steel frames with horizontal top tubes and I don't find either of these too big.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't comment on the bike's qualities because I'm not familiar with it, but I'm surprised you are saying it might be a bit too big @57 cm. I'm roughly the same size as you and I've got a hybrid and an old 3 speed that are both 23 1/2" (60 cm) steel frames with horizontal top tubes and I don't find either of these too big.
Have they got flat bars? The geometry is different, a flat bar bike needs a longer top tube to be the same reach and fit as a drop bar bike. As I discovered when coverting a road bike to a fiat bar roadbike, even 3cm more stem didn't do the trick, a friend 3 or 4 inches shorter than me now owns it

Thats what I am interested in really - what is fhe quality of Focus bikes?

Had a few in the shop and have not really seen a grotty one;have had a few Giants which seem to look tired(paint seems to wear through easily for instance) although that might just be that Focus riders look after their bikes better.

Top Bottom