Focus or Giant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I generally 'fit' a 56cm, anything less will be too small I reckon. Giant's sizing is bonkers - apparently, I fit a Medium but having tried that it also feels too small.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

To be honest I am not crazy about the whole Giant offering. I am sure they are good enough and they have been when I have had them in the past but they just don't excite me enough to buy one. I am not dissing them, just not for me really.

vickster

Legendary Member
To be honest I am not crazy about the whole Giant offering. I am sure they are good enough and they have been when I have had them in the past but they just don't excite me enough to buy one. I am not dissing them, just not for me really.
Fair enough, they are pretty common and not terribly exciting looking. Depends what you want really. There's a bargain Ridley in the classifieds, might be a little small so check with the seller (I seem to recall Ridley come up big, he's included the geometry). Tide you over until you can C2W or save more for titanium ;)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/r...-105-sora-mix-price-drop.232656/#post-5251093

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

After much cogitating, I ended up doing a complete 180 and I have decided to go with a Whyte Portobello. I managed to get a 2018 version for an absolute steal (not literally) and pick it up tomorrow.

I have just ordered a couple of 32c Gatorskins which I'll thrown on straightaway as the only apparent criticism of the bike is the stock tyres.

I am really looking forward to getting it. Despite initially wanting a roadie when I sat and actually thought about the kinds of riding I do I feel that the Whyte will be absolutely ideal for me as it will be quick enough for fitness stuff and versatile enough to do anything else I am likely to do.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and to Vickster for her advice about the brand. I have only ever heard good things about them.

Last edited:

Serge

Über Member
Fair enough, they are pretty common and not terribly exciting looking. Depends what you want really. There's a bargain Ridley in the classifieds, might be a little small so check with the seller (I seem to recall Ridley come up big, he's included the geometry). Tide you over until you can C2W or save more for titanium ;)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/r...-105-sora-mix-price-drop.232656/#post-5251093
I've been sorely tempted to buy that. It's getting to the stage where I'm going to have to have my phone confiscated after four pints.

Top Bottom