Focus or Giant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Don’t know for sure. It might say C2W voucher on the receipt? Ask him if it’s c2w, he may not actually know it’s not his to sell!

You still get a receipt but it’s a v long time since I’m used it. Just seems suss to be selling a brand new bike at such a reduction given it’s not stolen

Turned out to be good advice Vickster as it was indeed a C2W bike. I walked away.

vickster

Legendary Member
Turned out to be good advice Vickster as it was indeed a C2W bike. I walked away.
Look at the Defy from Paul's :smile: brand new, lifetime warranty, 4700 Tiagra
Or if you fancy discs

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p7374/MERIDA-RIDE-DISC-300-2016

I assume the seller now knows it's not his to sell!

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Look at the Defy from Paul's :smile: brand new, lifetime warranty, 4700 Tiagra
Or if you fancy discs

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p7374/MERIDA-RIDE-DISC-300-2016

I assume the seller now knows it's not his to sell!

Do you mean the Contend in your earlier post or the Merida in your last one? I am confused :smile:.

I think he was just chancing it but I have told him it's not his and I won't be buying it from him. To be fair he didn't hide it when I asked him and I am sure it's not the only C2W bike in the world that's been sold on for a profit. I won't risk it though which is a shame as I really liked it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you mean the Contend in your earlier post or the Merida in your last one? I am confused :smile:.

I think he was just chancing it but I have told him it's not his and I won't be buying it from him. To be fair he didn't hide it when I asked him and I am sure it's not the only C2W bike in the world that's been sold on for a profit. I won't risk it though which is a shame as I really liked it.
Either / or

Can't see how he's making a profit, he still has to pay it off, he just gets the cash up front, his employer will still take the money (which could well end up being more than £600, absolute max saving would be 40% and doubt it's that much)

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Either / or

Can't see how he's making a profit, he still has to pay it off, he just gets the cash up front, his employer will still take the money (which could well end up being more than £600, absolute max saving would be 40% and doubt it's that much)

I am not sure I could ride an orange bike :ohmy:. I will go into my LBS this week as they do Giant and Scott bikes so I can have a good nosey and sit on a few. I was just quite taken with the Focus because it was a good price for a 105 spec. Still, just goes to show that when something appears too good to be true it usually is.

I am not sure what his motivations are with money or his situation - have walked away so will leave him to it. The perils of buying second hand.

lane

Veteran
Either / or

Depending on circumstances max saving can easly be more than 40%. You also take into account saving on NI and pension contributions. Saving could easily by 50%. Plus its an interest free loan.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depending on circumstances max saving can easly be more than 40%. You also take into account saving on NI and pension contributions. Saving could easily by 50%. Plus its an interest free loan.
Fair enough, I'm not familiar with the sums (I did C2W once about 9 years ago, rules have since changed). But it's still not his to sell

Cash or interest free CC only for me these days (self employed) And the limit isn't high enough :whistle:

@Paulq can you not use C2W yourself?

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
I have been using my Hybrid over the winter and have shed quite a lot of timber and am fitter now that I have ever been. It's been hard but worth it.

I promised myself I would get myself another road bike when I could do it a bit of justice and have seen 2 second-hand ones that I'd welcome views on:

Giant Defy 0 - it's about 2 years old, hardly used with 105 front and Ultegra rear mech. Size M.

Focus Izalco Race - virtually new bike and looks nice. 105 front and rear. Size 57 which 'may' be a tad big as I generally use a 56 (they jump from 54 to 57, bizarrely).

I am 5'11" and will be using it for fitness and leisure mainly, no racing. I have owned Giant bikes before so know the brand, not so the Focus.

Any views on which may be the better buy?
Cinelli Experience
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cinelli-experience-14-48283/

2014 a good year

bpsmith

Veteran
There are plenty of bikes out there with very good discounts if you shop around online. There’s usually 25-35% or more available on previous years bikes, depending on what you’re after.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Fair enough, I'm not familiar with the sums (I did C2W once about 9 years ago, rules have since changed). But it's still not his to sell

Cash or interest free CC only for me these days (self employed) And the limit isn't high enough :whistle:

@Paulq can you not use C2W yourself?

I could do but I still have one running on my Hybrid until July at which point I'll buy that bike outright and sell it on. Only then will I be in a position to take another one out and that's the reason I have been looking for second-hand bargains to be honest.

vickster

Legendary Member
I could do but I still have one running on my Hybrid until July at which point I'll buy that bike outright and sell it on. Only then will I be in a position to take another one out and that's the reason I have been looking for second-hand bargains to be honest.
What's your budget? Did you see the used Dolan?

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

There are plenty of bikes out there with very good discounts if you shop around online. There’s usually 25-35% or more available on previous years bikes, depending on what you’re after.

Yes I'd be happy with something like that from a previous/this year. I tend to keep my stuff quite a while these days so ideally I am looking for something with a decent groupset on, pref 105, with a reasonably relaxed geometry for longer rides - no plans to get all crouchy :smile:.

Top Bottom