Folders for city buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
My partner doesn't drive and the bus service around this estate is cr*p. So been considering a folder so she can cycle into town (around 1.5 miles away) and take onward buses from there. (Possibly also an excuse for me to get a new bike :biggrin:.) It will probably need to have wheels smaller than 20" to be accepted on a bus and light as well because she's quite petite. I think it comes down to a Pacific Cycles CarryMe, a Dahon Jifo or a Brompton. The first two are lighter and cheaper than a Brompton. The Brompton wins on robustness and parts availability. I'm concerned about getting replacement proprietary parts for the CarryMe and Jifo. A Dahon Curve SL would be better in that regard, but that's significantly bigger (wider in particular). Whilst the CarryMe and Jifo are cheaper, they are more limited in their ability to tackle rides of more than a couple of flattish miles I guess. Typing this is pushing me into taking a closer look at a Curve SL. Any other suggestions?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The Brompton also wins on holding its value, ride quality and style. Have you looked at the basic 1-speed version? If there are no real hills it might be enough. And it's the lightest and cheapest Brommie.

Sara_H

Guru
We have a Decathlon folder and a Brompton. Brompton wins hands down in every way, and is much better for getting on and off buses.

My OH was once refused by an arsy jobsworth driver when he wanted to get on the (empty) bus with his folder. se we now have covers for both bikes and cover them up before getting on. Never been asked what it is since then but OH says he will say its a tuba!

srw

[QUOTE 4179358, member: 45"]Lots of used Mezzo folders on eBay. [/QUOTE]
The economics of oversupply and underdemand would suggest there's a reason for that.

srw

[QUOTE 4179430, member: 45"]There's a similar number of Bromptons on eBay.

Mezzo folders are great. Ever had a go on one?[/QUOTE]
Brompton is a volume manufacturer, Mezzo never has been.

I have a feeling I have tried one, and it was unmemorable and the folded package was ugly and bulky.

This is a bad idea. Folders can be carried on a bus, but they are not ideal. You have to manhandle the thing on and off and down a narrow corridor without bumping anyone. While I have taken my folder** on a bus occasionally, I would never buy one for that purpose.

Where's she going on the bus? If it's a commute, or to visit friends or if she has a distance to cycle at the other end then maybe it's ok, but otherwise you have lumbered with 12kg+ of awkward metal to lug in and out of shops, offices or wherever. And if she's doing shopping, then trip back on the bus is even more awkward, lugging shopping and the bike on and off the bus.

For that use I'd get a good lock and an nice cheap dutch style bike, and just cycle to the bus stop, lock it up, and go on her way unburdened. one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-100-dutch-style-city-bike-id_8305485.html from Decathlon if you can't find something suitable second hand.

**my folder is a mezzo. I like it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My Birdy is very much what the Mezzo based itself on and is similarly far better than it is given credit for and routinely knee jerk unfavourably compared against the Brompton (The Randolph Scott of folding bikes - Anyone who's seen Blazing Saddles will get the reference :smile: ) I also have a Brompton and use both on Manchester's metro system, though technically only the Brommy is specified as being ok. I have taken them both on the bus too but neither is a great option unless you can dump them in the pushchair alcove, sit with them and hope that you don't have to move for a pushchair.

My daughter has a Decathlon Elops bike, its a bit weighty lifted in and out the shed but super VFM, bombproof robust and once its rolling along you don't notice the weight. if the bus route is only a short jaunt too you could consider getting her riding all the way.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Hmm, been wondering myself if using an old bike to get to the town centre and then just locking it up is the best option. But then you do have to collect it later. As been pointed out, bagging the bike is a good way to get it passed the driver if you are strong enough to lug it. Even a single-speed Brompton with mudguards is going to end up at around 11Kg. A Jifo and a CarryMe are more like 9Kg which may make all the difference. I used to have a Strida Mk3 which was the right shape to wheel down a bus aisle and sit with, but it was virtually unrideable.

She might be better off just walking it!

Kell

Veteran
If your bus drivers are anything like the ones I've experienced, they'll pull away sharply from the stop as your missus is half way down the aisle. And she'll go sprawling. It's bad enough when you don't have anything to carry.

1.5 miles is hardly any distance to walk and I reckon the hassle it would save would be worth every step.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ultimate i scoot X50 on Amazon UK is a good price and gets lots of good reviews.

For 11/2 miles it would be ideal.

This is a bad idea. ...For that use I'd get a good lock and an nice cheap dutch style bike, and just cycle to the bus stop, lock it up, and go on her way unburdened. one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-100-dutch-style-city-bike-id_8305485.html from Decathlon if you can't find something suitable second hand.
**my folder is a mezzo. I like it.

For a petite rider, a 20" shopper is probably a better option as a "pub/station/leave-in-town style bike, with low profile, low desireability and low stealability. 20" wheels are also harder to kick-in, which is a major source of worry for bikes left overnight.

Yes, I think a scooter would make sense - but don't you end up unbalanced with one muscley leg? ;)
OK, you've done enough research. It's time to give the decision to your wife. You've pretty well got all the options - walking, folder, dutch, shopper, standard bike, scooter - but you really can't decide for her. She's an adult woman, and she's going to have to say which solution appeals to her.

Top Bottom