Fond memories of Bygone sea side day trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
When I was a youngster I lived in Chester. During the 70s and 80s a day trip out usually ended up going out to Rhyl.
Yes I know it's the butt of sea side resorts nowadays like so many along our British coast lines, but back in the 70s/80s the North Wales coast line was an amazing place to visit especially when if you was a youngster. Back in the late 70s I always remember the huge Victorian Garden glass house on the sea front which housed a huge array of tropical plants.From memory it was massive and vividly remember the parrots perched at the entrance.
There was also a big outdoor paddling pool which was always packed out with kids enjoying themselves in what seemed to be wall to wall sunshine.
I think I got the cycling bug from Rhyl too as they had a massive kids cycle track. If memory serves me right it was right it was on the Sea front and consisted of a track marked out with barrier tape. It was so simple but as a kid seeing dozens of kids riding it on a random selection of bikes was so exciting it was impossible not to wanting a go.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
My sister and friends used to catch the coach at the East Kilbride Olympia car park and head off for a day trip to Ayr,
Not always good weather but remember paddling in the sea with an umbrella. 😀
Loved our wee picnic and freedom for the day.

presta

Guru
I had plenty of holidays at the coast before mum left (dad wasn't a beach type), but I can recall very few day trips. I remember a trip to Mersea, and one to Clacton, but that's about it. Only loosely the coast, but I recall seeing this display on HMS Ganges mast at Shotley (the video's 1965, it must have been around that time). I got to know Harwich a bit when I was going out with a girl from a village near there and we used to stay with her parents at weekends. We were at the football ground when this Wikipedia photo was taken. Her father was foreman at the Sealink maintenance workshops on Parkeston Quay, and he took me for a guided tour around the St. Nicholas one Sunday:

1681079441193.jpeg

The most days out at the coast I've had were probably the cycle trips I did 10-15 years ago though.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Blackpool, Fleetwood, St Anne's, Morecambe and Southport for me. I can't remember much of the Southport ones as they were mainly in the 1960's. I/we did the others up till a few years ago when my mum passed away and me and Mrs Accy separated. There's not much point going to those places now as I don't do 'long journeys' these days and going to those places would bring back memories of happier times, sadly long gone.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Born and raised near New Brighton so that was our regular 'go to' place.
Lived there till I married a Warrington girl in 1968.
I still miss New Brighton though and until 3 years ago would take the bike over there. Lots of traffic free cycling there.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was born in a house at Withernsea..the clue is in the name. 🙂 When the sea was rough the sea spray would hit my bedroom window like rain. The light of the lighthouse flashed into my bedroom. I have 3 brothers and all of our summer holidays was spent in swimming gear. The outdoor pool was 100m away and the playing field backed onto our house, the sea was literally a stones throw away.

I now live 10 minutes bike ride to the sea. We have wonderful beaches here in Denmark. Lots of them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I lived in Helensburgh on the R. Clyde for about 7 years and that was a weekend trip for many from the city. I swam in the sea which was warmer than the swimming pool but that may have been down to the sewage outfalls. Surprised I did not catch any dire disease but sometimes you had to keep your head well above the water to avoid floaters.
I now have lived by the sea for the last 50 years but did more sailing than swimming tho’ I did a lot of scuba diving often from the shore.

D

Deleted member 1258

Lots of fond memories from when our lads were small, day trips and holidays in places like Rhyl, LLandudno, Isle Of Wight, Bournemouth and other places in Devon and Cornwall. I was brought up on the Kent coast, Folkestone, so trips to the seaside didn't feature much, though I have fond memories of a daytrip to Dymchurch when I was very small.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I was born in a house at Withernsea..the clue is in the name. 🙂 When the sea was rough the sea spray would hit my bedroom window like rain. The light of the lighthouse flashed into my bedroom. I have 3 brothers and all of our summer holidays was spent in swimming gear. The outdoor pool was 100m away and the playing field backed onto our house, the sea was literally a stones throw away.

I now live 10 minutes bike ride to the sea. We have wonderful beaches here in Denmark. Lots of them.

Used to love going to Withernsea as a kid. We had a caravan at Kilnsea, so many summers spent there as a nipper.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’ve spent most of my life living some distance from the coast*, so a seaside trip was always a big day out. Being in the middle of southern England the two places we went most were Brean beach and New Milton. Brean was the most common, with a bracing walk out to the fort then back for ice creams at the kiosk and sometimes I’d get to have a drive of my grandfather’s car on the beach. We rarely actually saw the sea of course. If we were feeling extra specially decadent we’d head for WsM to walk along the pier and enjoy arcades. Usually a picnic was the sustenance of choice, with the occasional fish and chip dinner in the car.

*I did spend a couple of years as a kid living in Lossiemouth which has an amazing beach but I’m not sure we made much of it - I was only 6-8 years old mind.

Top Bottom