Fond memories of Bygone sea side day trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
@colly you are remembering the Kursal (can't remember the spelling now) I grew up few miles away and it was an amusement park in my time, made fsmoby the band the Kursal Flyers I believe. I remember the pier burning down, Saturday morning pictures and roller disco on Pier Hill, Tots the nightclub and tatty pubs on the front. No idea what it looks like now but may revisit at some stage.

What was the place further along the estuary? Thorpe...something

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thorpe Bay, bit posh then I think.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Want to remind yourself of a bygone seaside day from years past ? Just come to Great Yarmouth. The only thing that’s changed since the 1950’s is the crime rate……..

I/we went to Hemsby in July 2012 for a week. It was ok, but the beach was a bit 'pebbley' and with it being on the east coast it was :cold: as well. I took a bike with me, so I did quite a lot of flat landscape cycling which was a novelty for me. The wheat fields around there are nice to ride past. As for Great Yarmouth, it was ok, but like you say, a bit stuck in the past, like Morecambe maybe.:okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember my mum always telling me that we (as in family) had to come back home from a holiday in Blackpool in the 1960's due to me and brother developing Chicken Pox. Our parents were very some might say overprotective, but that's nothing compared to a neighbour in these flats who came home early from a holiday in Bridlington because his Labrador dog 'couldn't settle' in the dog friendly B&B!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Want to remind yourself of a bygone seaside day from years past ? Just come to Great Yarmouth. The only thing that’s changed since the 1950’s is the crime rate……..

We went to a holiday park just outside of town when the kids were young, the main things I remember are that it seemed to have a lot of mobility scooters, and when we went to the greyhounds it seemed very parochial.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Holidaying in various seaside locations in the 80's and walking past the arcade machines and hearing Jean-Michel Jarre's masterful music.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
We went to a holiday park just outside of town when the kids were young, the main things I remember are that it seemed to have a lot of mobility scooters, and when we went to the greyhounds it seemed very parochial.

Ha ! Yarmouth (***'Great' omitted purposely as too many things in life are overstated) is still somewhat 'famous' for the shear amount of Mobilty Scooters. All Battery powered these days of course. And used by anyone obese, truly incapable - or infact anyone who just doesn't fancy walking these days :rolleyes:

And the Greyhounds / Banger racing at the same venue - are still a highlight for many too. I did say its a time-warp Town.......

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I/we went to Hemsby in July 2012 for a week. It was ok, but the beach was a bit 'pebbley' and with it being on the east coast it was :cold: as well. I took a bike with me, so I did quite a lot of flat landscape cycling which was a novelty for me. The wheat fields around there are nice to ride past. As for Great Yarmouth, it was ok, but like you say, a bit stuck in the past, like Morecambe maybe.:okay:

More (Blue Flag i'll have you know !!) Sandy Beaches just up the Coast at Lowestoft i'd say (My home Town). And yup.......can get a little cool here at times for sure. I bet Hemsby ISN'T a hive of activity !!!

I always felt the area had [In parts] more of a reputation of a flat landscape than was actually true. Depends where you're coming from and comparing too of course.......

I grew up at the seaside in Cornwall, because of this my family never went on Holiday. I learn to swim at a very young age and I remember spending my summers, surfing, snorkelling and canoeing.
Last year I took my fiance ( who is in her late fifties) to Cornwall and introduced her to body boarding in a fairly rough 5 ft or so surf, I couldn't get her out of the sea as she lamented "why have I never done this before, its fantastic".
She now has her own board and wetsuit and cant wait to go again this year.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I grew up at the seaside in Cornwall, because of this my family never went on Holiday. I learn to swim at a very young age and I remember spending my summers, surfing, snorkelling and canoeing.
Last year I took my fiance ( who is in her late fifties) to Cornwall and introduced her to body boarding in a fairly rough 5 ft or so surf, I couldn't get her out of the sea as she lamented "why have I never done this before, its fantastic".
She now has her own board and wetsuit and cant wait to go again this year.

That is fantastic.
I have done lots of snorkeling (and diving) but never done body boarding

stephec

Legendary Member
Ha ! Yarmouth (***'Great' omitted purposely as too many things in life are overstated) is still somewhat 'famous' for the shear amount of Mobilty Scooters. All Battery powered these days of course. And used by anyone obese, truly incapable - or infact anyone who just doesn't fancy walking these days :rolleyes:

And the Greyhounds / Banger racing at the same venue - are still a highlight for many too. I did say its a time-warp Town.......

I posted about Lowestoft somewhere in another thread.

I worked at Birdseye for a few days about eighteen months ago and stayed at a Best Western right on the front, there was a KFC over the road with a shopping street behind it. On that was a decent looking bike shop, a good looking model shop(Airfix, not page three 🤣), and there was quite a few nice looking pubs along there as well.

That is fantastic.
I have done lots of snorkeling (and diving) but never done body boarding

To be more exact I introduce her to Boogie boarding a off-shoot of body boarding, foam filled board, flippers optional, as distinct from the traditional wood board I used as a child.
Surfing is addictive by the way, when I visited my mother in Febuary there were 31 surfers in the sea at 6pm for a after work surf.( too ruddy cold for me)

Top Bottom