Fond memories of Bygone sea side day trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
One thing I always remember about our trips to Blackpool was an occasion when my mam bought an ice cream and held out her hand for the change, and at the same time a seagull flew overhead and decided to have a good clear out. 🤣

Sharky

Guru
Blackpool
A few memories I have of Blackpool
-the regular autumn visits to see the lights
-1956,infestation of flying ants, all along the front
-1967? Watched the stage finish of the milk race. Think it was les West.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We used to go to a place called Eccles - which was out to sea, in reality after a big storm in the C18. Hempstead was where we technically went. We pretty much lived there all summer as my parents had a small, static caravan. My Dad went off to work, with my Uncle who drove, every morning, while we kid ran wild all day, swimming in the sea, long walks, kit flying etc.

Nowadays, I live on the N. Norfolk coast, can see the sea from the end of the road and it’s a 7 min walk (dawdling with the dogs) to the cliff tops, it‘s more like 20 min walk if I want to feel sand between my toes as I am not leaping off the cliff to get there. We did have a set of steps, but with erosion, they are closed as not safe to use. There have been a few falls in recent years so being dismantled.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We used to go to a place called Eccles - which was out to sea, in reality after a big storm in the C18. Hempstead was where we technically went. We pretty much lived there all summer as my parents had a small, static caravan. My Dad went off to work, with my Uncle who drove, every morning, while we kid ran wild all day, swimming in the sea, long walks, kit flying etc.

Nowadays, I live on the N. Norfolk coast, can see the sea from the end of the road and it’s a 7 min walk (dawdling with the dogs) to the cliff tops, it‘s more like 20 min walk if I want to feel sand between my toes as I am not leaping off the cliff to get there. We did have a set of steps, but with erosion, they are closed as not safe to use. There have been a few falls in recent years so being dismantled.

Nice part of the world, we stayed at South Creake a few years ago and had some lovely beach walks.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Me, sat on my grandad's knee, alongside my mother and brother, on Blackpool's north shore beach around 1967/8.

nc_ohc=MVjur7adSikAX_Zt2pN&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

My mother with her parents, somewhere in Blackpool in the mid to late 1950's.

nc_ohc=bl2DAxqnWLgAX_1pKST&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
no day trips to the beach when i was a kid , maybe the occasional coach trip to a country estate etc .Main holidays were a walk of a couple of miles to the bus stop ,then train to wherever we were going and we pretty much stayed put in the town we went to .
I cant remember the family actually getting a car till i was a teenager and now day trips to the seaside for me as a parent revolve around driving and dealing with "i want " all day .

gbb

Legendary Member
As we lived in Lincs and Notts, I seem to remember Ingoldmells and Chapel St Leonards as a usual destination, dad obviously favoured slightly backwater places. Then one visit to Northumberland to see our nan in Boulmer...mile after.mile of deserted beach, we'd go beachcombing, finding pieces of timber , rope and allsorts As dad was a marine artist, shipwrecks figured in his work, easy as a kid to imagine this stuff could have been from ship wrecks...which of course it almost certainly wasn't...but kids imagination being what it is.. .

colly

Re member eR
As a nipper living in that there London (Fulham) our holidays were not taken every year. When they did happen it was a week in Southend. To me that was the seaside. Buckets and spades, crab sandwiches at a place near the pier, a place called the 'Kersal' ( no idea what it was but the name is firmly rooted)
Swimming in 'the sea' , l was blissfully unaware that it was in reality the mouth of The Thames l was splashing about in. Quite what the water contained l dread to think.
The beach was stoney and rocky with a bit of sandy mud to make sandcastles with. Further out were rocks and BIG crabs waiting to grab your toes, the water being totally opaque there was no chance of seeing them
A walk along the pier and a train ride back. Candy floss, the helter-skelter and a cafe with a laughing policeman in a big glass case who would magically call my and my brothers name out asking how we were.
Canvas deck chairs, my dad with a hanky knotted at each corner placed on his bald head to keep the sun off.
My nan asleep in the deck chair on the beach suddenly leaping up flapping her skirts about, a wasp having decided it was a place to investigate.
All that and a steam train ride from central London to get there.
Bed and breakfast at Mrs Ellis's.

What more could you ask for?

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
@colly you are remembering the Kursal (can't remember the spelling now) I grew up few miles away and it was an amusement park in my time, made fsmoby the band the Kursal Flyers I believe. I remember the pier burning down, Saturday morning pictures and roller disco on Pier Hill, Tots the nightclub and tatty pubs on the front. No idea what it looks like now but may revisit at some stage.

Top Bottom