Fond memories of Bygone sea side day trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We used to go to a place called Eccles - which was out to sea, in reality after a big storm in the C18. Hempstead was where we technically went. We pretty much lived there all summer as my parents had a small, static caravan. My Dad went off to work, with my Uncle who drove, every morning, while we kid ran wild all day, swimming in the sea, long walks, kit flying etc.
I live in Hertfordshire, trust me Hemel Hempstead does not have a beach.....

mustang1

Legendary Member
Margate, Southend on sea, Brighton. Occasionally Blackpool. Lands end a couple of times too.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I live in Hertfordshire, trust me Hemel Hempstead does not have a beach.....

We stayed rough where the x is. Static van, terrific fun. Circled is not Hemel ^_^

Attachments

• CBEAB0FA-08CE-4F25-B1F3-D70B02287675.jpeg
    CBEAB0FA-08CE-4F25-B1F3-D70B02287675.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad was a keen surfer and as a yound lad we spent many holidays in Cornwall allowing the auld feller to indulge his passion.

As an older chap I remember being by the sea in Cyprus in '89. Some wag decided to shout "SHARK SHARK!!" and an entire company, about 40 squaddies, were practically walking on water in their haste to get to dry land.

As a kid, & this is hard to admit as a Yorkshireman, l was taken to Morecambe a lot
I remember the Midland Hotel in its faded glory, as a B&B, just getting more delapidated
Plus the Winter Gardens being open, & the remnants of the Super Swimming Stadium (a huge structure when fully intact)

Getting off the train, seeing the sea

I still go every so often, & was there earlier this year
I was delighted when the Midland was refurbished & repopened
We’ve had afternoon tea in there, but sadly never stayed in it

I was also taken down to Torquay a lot, then onto St Ives (in late 70s)

Sharky

Guru
Morecambe
As you mention Morecombe - did you know that there is a "Blue Plaque" on a pub in Margate, where Eric had his wedding reception.

Margate is a bit run down now, but they are trying to turn it round with the Turner Gallery and the Heritage Qtr has some nice cafes and old shops.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We stayed rough where the x is. Static van, terrific fun. Circled is not Hemel ^_^

Boootiful as they say down that way, allegedly.

I stayed down there somewhere yonks ago, maybe Overstrand, the wind was from the north and it was freezing, but still had a good time, exercising the kids on the beach in jumpers and wellies! Also did a boat trip to see some seals round the coast a bit.

As the avatar suggest I was brought up near Whitby, so there, Sandsend, Runswick Bay, Marske and Saltburn were all visited regular.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Boootiful as they say down that way, allegedly.

I stayed down there somewhere yonks ago, maybe Overstrand, the wind was from the north and it was freezing, but still had a good time, exercising the kids on the beach in jumpers and wellies! Also did a boat trip to see some seals round the coast a bit.

As the avatar suggest I was brought up near Whitby, so there, Sandsend, Runswick Bay, Marske and Saltburn were all visited regular.

Overstrand is where some of The Wombles have retired to. Some in Understrand, obvs.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Any of you remember the monkeys and particularly the bush babies you'd see at seaside resorts perched on someone's shoulder, dressed in hand knitted clothes? My dad always steered us away from them, saying 'no matter how cute they look, they could take your eye out with a swipe of their claws'.

As you mention Morecombe - did you know that there is a "Blue Plaque" on a pub in Margate, where Eric had his wedding reception.

Margate is a bit run down now, but they are trying to turn it round with the Turner Gallery and the Heritage Qtr has some nice cafes and old shops.
I've never been down there
The Wetherspoons in Morecambe is the 'Eric Bartholomew'
Plus, Thora Hird was born in the town

DSCF3671.JPG

DSCF3672.JPG

DSCF3673.JPG
All are excellent destinations!
Every year, I normally get offered tickets to one of the Goth Weekend parties, as a couple of very dear friends of mine (sisters) organise one of them

Top Bottom