Fond memories of Bygone sea side day trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Porthcawl.

As a child, my brother and I would hire one of these bikes (but the larger ones with a bench seat at the back). It cost £2 deposit plus 50p for each hour. We'd be there early, pay £2.50, and never return it till 8pm at closing time. The bloke would go nuts, but we'd be back regardless. You weren't allowed to take them outside of the camp grounds either, or on the beach, but that's all we did.

They also had pedal carts (see pic two) later on, which have since been introduced at the site - but they are not as good as they were.

Attachments

• 76f13ec98aa8196c717deb414ee07d8e.png
    76f13ec98aa8196c717deb414ee07d8e.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 16391904975_c562320242_b.jpg
    16391904975_c562320242_b.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My brothers and I on the back seat got a 6d for the first person to see the sea and sing ''I see the sea, the sea sees me.'' Day trips from Leeds to the Yorkshire coast.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
North Wales Coast still is amazing - there every week usually, and MrsF swims in the sea - some of the cleanest in the UK. Rhyl is OK so long as you stay on the seafront - it's dire in the town.
That's what this report says.

EXCLUSIVE:

Life at 'UK's worst seaside' with beautiful beach and surprise attraction but 'drab town'​

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/life-uks-worst-seaside-beautiful-29519917

I was there for a week when working in a local care type hospital. From what I can remember, it was ok, but a bit past it's better days, like Morecambe is now. Mind you I was there way back in 1982, so things might've gone downhill a bit. :whistle:

I do remember me and a fellow male nurse going to get Rolling Stones, trademark lips tattoos ( we'd been to see them in Newcastle the same month) at a seafront tattooist. We were a bit apprehensive before we went, but when the tattooist said it'd be at least an hour before he could do the first one, we chickened out and left. I've often wondered if I'd had that tattoo, how it would look on me now.🤔

Top Bottom