Foot pain. Morton's neuroma?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

le_al_khemista

Hi all,

I've always used flat pedals without any issue whatsoever but recently decided to get some SPDs (Shimano M520) and shoes (Giro Cylinder) and after about 30min on the bike I start getting some pain under my right foot, roughly between the 3rd and 4th toes and toes start going numb. The pain only gets worse the further I ride and often persists for a couple of days afterwards.

Before getting these shoes I tried different models and sizes and these seemed the most comfortable at the time...

I've now tried quite a few things suggested online and by LBS to try and sort this issue but feel like I've exhausted my options (bar getting a new pair of shoes!) Have tried loosing up the straps/dials, playing with cleat position, different socks, Specialized footbeds and wedges...!

I feel like I did get some improvement from some of these things, namely the footbeds but the problem has not gone away and I've now gone back to using flat pedals as I'm worried about permanent damage to the foot.

From online research it seems like Morton's neuroma might be the issue but it's a bit strange that no other activity or pedals make it flair up.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I was thinking of booking a shoe fitting session somewhere but, as far as I'm aware that's normally something that comes before purchasing new shoes, not as a way of fixing existing ones.

Any other suggestions or things I can try? I'd really like to be able to go clipless!

Many thanks!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had similar problems with a couple of pairs of Shimano shoes. I posted about this a couple of days ago...

I find Shimano sizing really bad with my wide-ish feet. I need to go up about 1.5 sizes to get the width. My current shoes are +2 sizes. There is a gap beyond my toes, but the rest of each foot fits really well so they don't slide forwards. The result is surprisingly comfortably. Definitely try on before buying, or buy from somewhere with free returns.

My feet got badly squeezed across their widest parts by Shimano shoes my normal size. I had to take a month off the bike after riding for an hour or two!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi all,

I've always used flat pedals without any issue whatsoever but recently decided to get some SPDs (Shimano M520) and shoes (Giro Cylinder) and after about 30min on the bike I start getting some pain under my right foot, roughly between the 3rd and 4th toes and toes start going numb. The pain only gets worse the further I ride and often persists for a couple of days afterwards.

Before getting these shoes I tried different models and sizes and these seemed the most comfortable at the time...

I've now tried quite a few things suggested online and by LBS to try and sort this issue but feel like I've exhausted my options (bar getting a new pair of shoes!) Have tried loosing up the straps/dials, playing with cleat position, different socks, Specialized footbeds and wedges...!

I feel like I did get some improvement from some of these things, namely the footbeds but the problem has not gone away and I've now gone back to using flat pedals as I'm worried about permanent damage to the foot.

From online research it seems like Morton's neuroma might be the issue but it's a bit strange that no other activity or pedals make it flair up.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I was thinking of booking a shoe fitting session somewhere but, as far as I'm aware that's normally something that comes before purchasing new shoes, not as a way of fixing existing ones.

Any other suggestions or things I can try? I'd really like to be able to go clipless!

Many thanks!

Oddly, I had this exact same pain in my right foot about 2 months ago. I'm not allowed to use Dr Google anymore (long story won't bore you with it) and Lovely Wife deals with these matters. She came to a similar 'interim' conclusion although there has been no formal diagnosis. The pain only lasted for a few days but it did hurt a lot. Apparently it can start, go away or at least not hurt, and then return as it develops further.

Time will tell.... :rolleyes: If/when it returns a GP visit will follow.

Good luck with getting things sorted but you should see your GP if you are convinced it is MN as eventually surgical intervention may be required.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

I had similar problems with a couple of pairs of Shimano shoes. I posted about this a couple of days ago...

So did going 2 sizes up sort the problem for you? I did go for a size up when I bought the Giro shoes but maybe that wasn't enough!

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Oddly, I had this exact same pain in my right foot about 2 months ago. I'm not allowed to use Dr Google anymore (long story won't bore you with it) and Lovely Wife deals with these matters. She came to a similar 'interim' conclusion although there has been no formal diagnosis. The pain only lasted for a few days but it did hurt a lot. Apparently it can start, go away or at least not hurt, and then return as it develops further.

Time will tell.... :rolleyes: If/when it returns a GP visit will follow.

Good luck with getting things sorted but you should see your GP if you are convinced it is MN as eventually surgical intervention may be required.

The pain has totally gone away for me after being on flat pedals for a week or so but I'm certain will come back if changing back to the SPDs.

Have mentioned it to the GP in passing and they suggested a phone consultation with a physiotherapist due to Covid, not sure how much that's going to help...

Hopefully you'll stay pain free, good luck!

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

These cure it for me.

footpads

I have northwave shoes which are wider - go up sizes as appropriate.

Doesn't that feel a bit awkward when cycling?

Thick winter socks help quite a bit due to extra cushioning.

ColinJ

So did going 2 sizes up sort the problem for you?
Yes, it did. I ended up with bigger than usual gaps in front of my toes, but the rest of each shoe is a snug fit so my feet don't slide forward. Obviously, if the shoes were loose and my feet did move, that would cause problems. As it is, it is a bit like wearing well-fitting sandals - my feet stay where they should do but my toes have plenty of room. I have ridden thousands of kms in the shoes and they feel great.

It shouldn't be necessary to go up 2 sizes but the combination of my foot shape and the standard Shimano width/sizing just doesn't work.

When you went back to flat pedals and had no problems, were you still wearing the Giro shoes? If so, then it doesn't sound like the shoes themselves are the problem!

Another problem I had one time was some cleat bolts being slightly too long. The ends of them caused lumps which I could feel on the soles of my feet through the insoles. The discomfort was okay for short rides but became pretty bad after a few hours of riding. Replacing the bolts with shorter ones fixed that problem.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Yes, it did. I ended up with bigger than usual gaps in front of my toes, but the rest of each shoe is a snug fit so my feet don't slide forward. Obviously, if the shoes were loose and my feet did move, that would cause problems. As it is, it is a bit like wearing well-fitting sandals - my feet stay where they should do but my toes have plenty of room. I have ridden thousands of kms in the shoes and they feel great.

It shouldn't be necessary to go up 2 sizes but the combination of my foot shape and the standard Shimano width/sizing just doesn't work.

When you went back to flat pedals and had no problems, were you still wearing the Giro shoes? If so, then it doesn't sound like the shoes themselves are the problem!

Interesting.

I've gone back to flat pedals + regular trainers not flat pedals with the Giro shoes. I've also tried the SPDs with regular trainers and there was no pain so I think the shoes are definitely the problem.

Another problem I had one time was some cleat bolts being slightly too long. The ends of them caused lumps which I could feel on the soles of my feet through the insoles. The discomfort was okay for short rides but became pretty bad after a few hours of riding. Replacing the bolts with shorter ones fixed that problem.

I thought that was what was happening at first! I was sure I was feeling the bolts through the insoles but after further inspection and online reading I realised the sensation was probably my nerve being pinched or similar rather than the bolts.

Might be time to give different shoes a go, not ideal as cycling shoes aren't exactly cheap and these seemed comfortable when I tried them in the shop.

ColinJ

Might be time to give different shoes a go, not ideal as cycling shoes aren't exactly cheap and these seemed comfortable when I tried them in the shop.
I find that my feet often start to swell up during rides. I have velcro straps on my Shimano shoes. I start off with the straps comfortably snug but often have to loosen them slightly after 30 minutes or so.

Top Bottom