Foot pain. Morton's neuroma?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

I find that my feet often start to swell up during rides. I have velcro straps on my Shimano shoes. I start off with the straps comfortably snug but often have to loosen them slightly after 30 minutes or so.

Yeah, the pain on my foot also starts after about 30 minutes so I think there's a relation there.

Ideally I'd need to try diffetent shoes on the bike for at least 30 minutes but I don't think many shops will let me return the shoes after they've been used...

GrandadRob

I have suffered with this ? for some time. But the odd thing is that it does not bother me whilst on the bike. But when I take my shoes off, I can feel like I have a coin shaped area under the skin on both feet, just behind the central toes, which is sometimes numb. Not a problem to walk except If have thin shoes on and then step on a stone. Its just like I stood on a nail. Lasts a few seconds then goes away. Spoke to my neighbour/physio, she says it is probably NM. I wear cycling shoes and toe clips, can't get on with cleats. Does this sound odd ?

Yes, it did. I ended up with bigger than usual gaps in front of my toes, but the rest of each shoe is a snug fit so my feet don't slide forward. Obviously, if the shoes were loose and my feet did move, that would cause problems. As it is, it is a bit like wearing well-fitting sandals - my feet stay where they should do but my toes have plenty of room. I have ridden thousands of kms in the shoes and they feel great.

It shouldn't be necessary to go up 2 sizes but the combination of my foot shape and the standard Shimano width/sizing just doesn't work.

When you went back to flat pedals and had no problems, were you still wearing the Giro shoes? If so, then it doesn't sound like the shoes themselves are the problem!

Another problem I had one time was some cleat bolts being slightly too long. The ends of them caused lumps which I could feel on the soles of my feet through the insoles. The discomfort was okay for short rides but became pretty bad after a few hours of riding. Replacing the bolts with shorter ones fixed that problem.
Going up a couple shoe sizes and the pads I mentioned earlier worked for me.

I also don't think the number on the shoe (size) matters that much. Shoe sizing is all over the place - it would be a bit like always buying a medium size bike - no matter which brand you go for.

normgow

Guru
For many years I suffered with foot pain (left foot) whilst cycling but also walking, often it was worse in hot weather and was diagnosed as Morton Neurom. Shoe inserts helped for a while but gradually became less effective. Cutting out slots on the side of my cycling shoes (s-works) to give the toes, or more exactly the metatarsul bones, more room or less compression, also helped but was frowned on by the fashion police. Last year I decided enough was enough and despite hearing some unfavourable reports of possible after effects went ahead with the necessary operation which was really no big deal. The surgeon removed about 22mm of nerve between 3rd and 4th toes and later showed me a photo of it showing the bulges which when compressed caused the painful discomfort. For about 6 weeks I had to wear a special boot which prevented bending of the sole and made me feel like Lord Byron but without being able to write poetry. Just over a year has passed and I'm glad to say everything has been fine and have managed 8000km this year which is modest by comparison with some but makes me grateful that I can do it without the old discomfort. Whether this is the solution for everyone I couldn't say, certainly wide-fitting shoes, really foot-shaped shoes, are a big help but a good doctor who is sympathetic to a cyclist's needs is the best bet. I have been very fortunate and hope fellow sufferers can get some relief in the future.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Hi all, reviving this thread as I'm still suffering from the above (suspected Morton's neuroma) and now feel discomfort even with flat pedal and regular trainers.
Can anyone recommend a podiatrist (or other professional) knowledgeable about cycling injuries and shoe fit specifically?
Getting a bit desperate as the GP didn't really resolve the issue (was told to rest the foot for a few weeks) and I'm not too sure who else to turn to. Ideally would like to find someone who's able to tell me exactly what's going on and recommend and adequate pair of cycling shoes.

Many thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Double check where the ball of your foot is sitting in relation to the axel. Too far forward, or back can cause foot pain. I managed to mess it up on a new pair of shoes and was about 5mm out (too far forward). Caused hot feet until I finally discovered my error.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had exactly that issue with SPDs on three different bikes using two different shoes.

I changed to Crank Brothers Mallets which have a large platform and eggbeaters in the centre. Solved it overnight.

I then tried Candy pedals from the same firm much smaller and same principle of eggbeater within a platform, and they're great too.

In my opinion the SPDs take all the pressure on the cleat, any platform is their for show.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all, reviving this thread as I'm still suffering from the above (suspected Morton's neuroma) and now feel discomfort even with flat pedal and regular trainers.
Can anyone recommend a podiatrist (or other professional) knowledgeable about cycling injuries and shoe fit specifically?
Getting a bit desperate as the GP didn't really resolve the issue (was told to rest the foot for a few weeks) and I'm not too sure who else to turn to. Ideally would like to find someone who's able to tell me exactly what's going on and recommend and adequate pair of cycling shoes.

Many thanks
Sigma offer shoe and cleat fitting as well as a wider range of bike fitting services
https://www.sigmasports.com/bike-fitting/services/hampton-wick

cyclefit another alternative https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/cyclefit

Someone posted recently about a positive experience with bike fit in Orpington, can’t recall the details

Otherwise find a physio who does bike fitting, there used to be a couple of good ones in SW London but they’ve moved on unfortunately. There are probably others, you could try Googling :okay:

Gaitlab offer full podiatry services and are very good, don’t know if they do anything cycling related specifically
https://www.thegaitlab.co.uk/

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In my opinion the SPDs take all the pressure on the cleat, any platform is their for show.
I thought that too until I noticed that the platforms on all of my 8 SPD pedals are polished and worn by the action of the soles of my shoes.

I suppose it depends on how recessed the cleat is in the shoes.

I find that comfort depends more on the stiffness of the sole of the shoe. I can feel the cleat/pedal on a flexible shoe but not on a stiff one.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Double check where the ball of your foot is sitting in relation to the axel. Too far forward, or back can cause foot pain. I managed to mess it up on a new pair of shoes and was about 5mm out (too far forward). Caused hot feet until I finally discovered my error.

I've tried playing around with cleat position quite a bit but it never offered any major relief.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

I had exactly that issue with SPDs on three different bikes using two different shoes.

I changed to Crank Brothers Mallets which have a large platform and eggbeaters in the centre. Solved it overnight.

I then tried Candy pedals from the same firm much smaller and same principle of eggbeater within a platform, and they're great too.

Thanks for the recommendations but I don't really want to go down the route of buying different pedals and shoes to then find out it made little difference in terms of confort/pain. I feel like it's bit of a gamble investing in a new setup without knowing exactly what the source of the problem is.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Sigma offer shoe and cleat fitting as well as a wider range of bike fitting services
https://www.sigmasports.com/bike-fitting/services/hampton-wick

cyclefit another alternative https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/cyclefit

Someone posted recently about a positive experience with bike fit in Orpington, can’t recall the details

Otherwise find a physio who does bike fitting, there used to be a couple of good ones in SW London but they’ve moved on unfortunately. There are probably others, you could try Googling :okay:

Gaitlab offer full podiatry services and are very good, don’t know if they do anything cycling related specifically
https://www.thegaitlab.co.uk/

Thanks vickster! Will look into all the above.

I have called Cyclefit about this issue before and they've told me they only offer foot consultations if I'm buying one of their products (i.e. very expensive custom footbeds)

Top Bottom