Football World Cup - Russia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I didn't have you down as a fan of 'The Robster',Mr Rider.:smile:

Not a fan of his music particularly, but I think he does have a huge talent with a live audience.

I recall one of those mega charity gigs which wasn't going well - Pink Floyd was absolutely not what the audience wanted.

Williams appeared, ran around like an idiot while belting out Let Me Entertain You and took the roof off the place.

There's only a handful of artists who could do that.

Tin Pot

Guru
ident-vladimir-putin-left-shakes-hands-with-saudi-deputy-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salma_114186_.jpg

(Can’t find one from the actual match but saw it...)

Having only put five past Saudi Arabia, the Russians must be shitting themselves about having to face ‘Mighty Egypt’ on Tuesday.

Guess who drew Egypt in the work draw? :rolleyes:

Graham

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It must annoy for decent teams that didn't qualify when they see Saudi playing.
Any of the home nations, and plenty of European sides would bring far more to the tournament.

I know fifa want to spread the love around, but how many fans do the Saudi's bring? Expanding the tournament by allowing more mediocre teams isn't the answer.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It must annoy for decent teams that didn't qualify when they see Saudi playing.
Any of the home nations, and plenty of European sides would bring far more to the tournament.

I know fifa want to spread the love around, but how many fans do the Saudi's bring? Expanding the tournament by allowing more mediocre teams isn't the answer.
Cos it's "The World Game" but it's premier tournament has only ever been won by a team from either Europe or South America

I've got no problem at all in effectively having quotas from other continents. It doesn't effect who wins the tournament in the short term and goes some way to encouraging football in these continents

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
To be a meaningful event the World Cup should be elitist. Scrap the regional qualifying which allows nations like Saudi Arabia to qualify against equally mediocre sides while the likes of Italy and Holland have to sit it out and have properly seeded qualifying groups which mean you actually have to earn your place at the finals.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
To be a meaningful event the World Cup should be elitist. Scrap the regional qualifying which allows nations like Saudi Arabia to qualify against equally mediocre sides while the likes of Italy and Holland have to sit it out and have properly seeded qualifying groups which mean you actually have to earn your place at the finals.

A system which has worked so well with the Champions League.

Top Bottom