Footballs - I don't know anything

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I bought my son a football at the weekend rather than one of those cheap balls that we always get. I paid the grand sum of £8 for it (thought it was cheaper than that before I got to the counter). Now it has a thorn sticking out of it. I know absolutely nothing about footballs - but I do know about punctures - you know if you remove a drawing pin from a tyre that was fine it will go down.

So do I remove this big thorn - and if it does go down is there anything to do to mend it since I can't get to the inner tube (is there one:blush:) to mend it. For example that green slime stuff would it mend it?

Or is the answer to just buy cheaper balls and assume they are not mend able - a disposable item?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
It may not have punctured the inner lining/skin but if it has I think thats it... not sure how you would get the slime in?

Sorry.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
alecstilleyedye said:
never use a track pump to inflate a football, they explode, ime…

We tried that technique with the previous ball ... it didn't explode immediately but an hour later (probably sitting in the sun), and I heard the bang from inside the house.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Wigsie said:
It may not have punctured the inner lining/skin but if it has I think thats it... not sure how you would get the slime in?

Sorry.

Er yes I hadn't thought about that bit... just thought as we had used the track pump for the previous ball that you could put the slime in but thinking about it, you use different end bits on the pump.:hyper:

Mr Pig

alecstilleyedye said:
never use a track pump to inflate a football, they explode, ime…

Ha ha ha, my son did that last week! :0) Thought he was being clever.

Always a bright side though, one less football in the world.

johnnyh

Veteran
once a bladder in a ball is punctured that is that I'm afraid.

I reckon we go through 20 or so every 3 months at training... I know, I am the poor sod ordering them up and inflating them... (with a track pump I might add... but as long as you stick to the right pressure all is good)

Maz

Guru
In my experience, deflate the ball first, then take out the thorn. Fingers crossed it should be OK. If it is flat, it's bad luck coz we play footy out on the fields, goes into thorny hedges etc and still no punctures in it.

Top Bottom