Forget cycling...what other hobbits ...erm...hobbies..do you partake in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Used to enjoy both fishing and photography but struggle to find the time these days. I also like hillwalking. I like restoring old things and have restored two vintage tractors and a Raleigh Twenty folder and currently have a Carlton awaiting re-assembly. I also have plans to restore the late 1940s Rudge which my grandad bought new and is complete if a little rusty. Even has the original pump in working order. I just have to persuade my uncle to part with it first. I also have a small collection of old 35mm SLRs, all in working order and used in turn.

DaveP

Chris James said:
I also have spent a lot of time hillwalking, mountaineering and rock climbing. Not always easy to do with kids in tow.

Chris,

Sit them down in front of the telly and put Touching The Void on, that will cure em:evil:

Maz

Guru
Trout flyfishing when I can.
Play 5-a-side once a week.
Go watch The Blades or Foxes or Tigers when I can.
Spanish - reading, writing, speaking.

barq

I collect swords. Some are ex-theatre/film whereas others are real (so cleaning is a slightly nerve-wracking job!).

I'd call cooking a hobby - it is far more than just something I do to eat. I have shelves of herbs, spices and obscure ingredients. Lots of books too, especially ones on technique and the history/science of cooking.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I go sailing. It's my husband's hobby but I like to go along with him when the weather is nice. Sometimes the dog comes too.

If you think cycling is expensive, try cruising catamaran sailing...

Willow

Maz said:
I feel for you, Willow. It must be tough on you. Any chance you can get a friend to look after your boys one night a week or something?

They're that in between age too young to leave but think they're too old for baby sitters. It's fine and good to have it to look forward to couple more years and they'll be old enough to leave. I get much pleasure out of watching they're hobbies - football, rugby, cricket, tennis, swimming, trumpet and oldest is shortly starting singing lessons so spectating is my biggest hobby at the moment.

tyred said:
Used to enjoy both fishing and photography but struggle to find the time these days. I also like hillwalking. I like restoring old things and have restored two vintage tractors and a Raleigh Twenty folder and currently have a Carlton awaiting re-assembly. I also have plans to restore the late 1940s Rudge which my grandad bought new and is complete if a little rusty. Even has the original pump in working order. I just have to persuade my uncle to part with it first. I also have a small collection of old 35mm SLRs, all in working order and used in turn.

Though I got rid of my SLR kit when I went digital, I've hung on to a Kodak Brownie that our family used in the early 1960's. It's nothing special - you can pick them up at car boots for a couple of quid - but it's such a tactile object and full of memories. I took my first ever photo with it. Usually lives on my desk at home.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The whole family (except the 2 year old, and he can't wait) go to Tang Soo Do classes 2 or 3 times a week.

I play squash and golf occasionally (both pretty badly), and have been known to spend the odd hour or so playing MMORPG games on the PC (Currently Warhammer).

I'm currently in a 'interests' trough at the moment. I have the relics of old hobbies around me, photography, rock clmbing and general mountaineering but apart from a few old fogey meets a year, I don't have the time to partake. I could do with some new ones, all suggestions welcome. I probably think I'm going to head down the self-education route, Linguaphones and OU, that kind of stuff.

Judo for me. Been a judoka for 27 years now (that's scary!), and yes I am a black belt.

Since the kids have arrived I haven't been practising as much as I would like, but I still get a rumble on the mat about once a week on average.

I challenge you to spot me in this pic!
;)
group.jpg

Top Bottom