Forgot how much harder riding fixed is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I'm not trolling here but is it much fun riding a fixie?

You don't get to freewheel down hills.

Freewheeling is so last year, finding a big hill and going balls out with you legs doing 200 rpm is where it is at :hyper:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I admire the refreshing honesty of the subject line. What happened to all the claims of greater efficiency due to straight chainline, "flywheel effect", lower weight ...?

(I also commute on a fixed gear bike and I don't believe them either. But thy rarely seem to be challenged)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
37 mph on a 48 x 17 not quite as spinney, however that is a very short hill I reckon a longer one could up it a bit more. Been riding fixed since 2007-2008 and its great, fitness and actually improves I reckon you riding once you switch over to gears.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I admire the refreshing honesty of the subject line. What happened to all the claims of greater efficiency due to straight chainline, "flywheel effect", lower weight ...?

(I also commute on a fixed gear bike and I don't believe them either. But thy rarely seem to be challenged)

I can certainly sprint quicker on the fixed gear I`m on compared with the geared road bike and also climb faster on manageable gradients, that is my experience.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
With respect to sprinting. I believe fixed eliminates the six o'clock and twelve o'clock dead spot, which is an unwanted complication and encumbrance, as you have to expend energy using the ankle joint and associated muscles to yank the pedals through and past the dead spot.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I went for a ride yesterday and while riding up Kirkstone pass (on my geared bike) I started thinking "this feels like hard work".
I haven't really been out since before Christmas and I put it down to being a 'bit out of form' then I looked down and realised that I was still in my middle ring rather than the smallest ring I'd probably have used before.
Riding fixed has recalibrated my effort, I now try harder :angel:

Top Bottom