Forgot how much harder riding fixed is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

got up to 180 rpm today, and still felt in control just............

I had my right calf cramp up today descending Purley Chase near Mancetter, I was travelling at around 31mph and spinning at just over 150rpm.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I did a 52 mile ride to the coast yesterday single speed 65" on my belt drive bike. I was considering of converting it to belt drive fixed but I really enjoyed the ride yesterday. The only downside was the return 7 mile ascent to my house, in parts it's 13% and I could of done with the forward momentum in those bits.

Not so sure whether just to carry on single speed or spend the £150 to convert....hmmm.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I did a 52 mile ride to the coast yesterday single speed 65" on my belt drive bike. I was considering of converting it to belt drive fixed but I really enjoyed the ride yesterday. The only downside was the return 7 mile ascent to my house, in parts it's 13% and I could of done with the forward momentum in those bits.

Not so sure whether just to carry on single speed or spend the £150 to convert....hmmm.
A Surly Fixxer might have worked and been a lot cheaper if you have compatible hubs, but sadly I think production has stopped.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/surly-fixxer-hub-converter/

Edit: Gone but not forgotten
http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/the_fixxer_is_dead_long_live_the_king

D

Deleted member 1258

Ouch! What did you do? Emergency stop?

Thats about all I can do, 150rpm is too fast to just pull my foot out, trouble with it is there rarely any warning, if I get a warning I can drop my heel more at the bottom of the stroke and stretch the calf a bit, which stops the problem, with no warning then a sharp stop and a stretch at the road side, I came back to fixed after a long break about six years ago and I've had this problem when its cold since I came back.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Thats about all I can do, 150rpm is too fast to just pull my foot out, trouble with it is there rarely any warning, if I get a warning I can drop my heel more at the bottom of the stroke and stretch the calf a bit, which stops the problem, with no warning then a sharp stop and a stretch at the road side, I came back to fixed after a long break about six years ago and I've had this problem when its cold since I came back.
It happened to me a few times during my first winter on fixed. It was :cursing: painful to say the least! Could feel it for ages afterwards. :B)

What worked for me was
1. Moving my cleats as far back as they would go, which unloads the calf muscle quite a bit. Fortunately my frame design means I still clear the front wheel by a smidgeon (but nobody turns the bars that much at speed anyway).
2. I made a habit of stretching my muscles a lot more when I'm not riding, so it's not so much of a shock when I get on and ride.
3. Warmer clothing for my legs and waterproof/windproof tights on the coldest days.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if you want to make riding fixed less hard fit a rear brake and use it instead of your legs to brake.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
A Surly Fixxer might have worked and been a lot cheaper if you have compatible hubs, but sadly I think production has stopped.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/surly-fixxer-hub-converter/

Edit: Gone but not forgotten
http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/the_fixxer_is_dead_long_live_the_king
Thirty quid off ebay, but unfortunately you'll still need a Gates fixed sprocket.
These still add to £80 (the gates screw on sprocket can be bought from inside Europe) and the screw on sprocket is only available as CDX.

So I'd be no better off. I could change to chain drive a bit cheaper, but where's the fun in that?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Oddly, I find that fixed stops me getting the quad cramps I occasionally get (and hate).

D

Deleted member 1258

It happened to me a few times during my first winter on fixed. It was :cursing: painful to say the least! Could feel it for ages afterwards. :B)

What worked for me was
1. Moving my cleats as far back as they would go, which unloads the calf muscle quite a bit. Fortunately my frame design means I still clear the front wheel by a smidgeon (but nobody turns the bars that much at speed anyway).
2. I made a habit of stretching my muscles a lot more when I'm not riding, so it's not so much of a shock when I get on and ride.
3. Warmer clothing for my legs and waterproof/windproof tights on the coldest days.

I'm on clips and straps, but I'm about due a new set of pedals and clips, the pedals I'm using have been on three different bikes and are a bit knackered, when I change them I'll have to have a look at moving the feet a bit more forward and see if it helps, I'm wearing long johns under my tights when its sub zero perhaps extending that to wearing them right through the winter might help, thanks for the ideas they've given me more things to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

What worked for me was
Quite a few research papers show that stretching actually causes more injuries than stretching prevents, however, warming up properly is shown to prevent injuries.
A few month back I started getting cramps a lot despite stretching out before rides. Since reading the research I started walking up the silly gradient 300 yard lane onto the main road which is almost straight from my drive end. Since I started walking that short stretch I've not had a cramp - I'm hoping it's not coincidence and that heaving up the hill with cold muscles is what was causing the cramps.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm on clips and straps, but I'm about due a new set of pedals and clips, the pedals I'm using have been on three different bike and are a bit knackered, when I change them I'll have to have a look at moving the feet a bit more forward and see if it helps, I'm wearing long johns under my tights when its sub zero perhaps extending that to wearing them right through the winter might help, thanks for the ideas they've given me more things to try.
In that case you can put your feet wherever you like (assuming you can find toe clips long enough). I haven't tried this method of foot retention, but I'd guess they allow even more freedom of fore-aft foot positioning. It's also worth noting that there are people who advocate a highly rearwards cleat position for reasons of economy and efficiency. Googling for 'mid foot cleat position' will bring up lots more material. For what it's worth, I moved my cleats from max forward to max aft, on my shoes that was a 22mm change, and still a long way from a true mid-foot position. If you go for extra clothing make sure it's not so tight to restrict blood flow. I'll be interested to know if any of this works for you.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
These still add to £80 (the gates screw on sprocket can be bought from inside Europe) and the screw on sprocket is only available as CDX.

So I'd be no better off. I could change to chain drive a bit cheaper, but where's the fun in that?
Ahhhh, OK. Going chain just destroys the advantage and convenience of not having to oil/clean the belt. If it was mine I'd ride as is for a good while to get some use and enjoyment, then convert to center-track fixed after a year or two.

My commuter is center-track single-speed belt, and it's perfect for my requirements. No matter how much rain or muck on the road, I just sling it in the hallway when I get home without needing to do anything to the 'chain' to keep it running sweet. Every few months I wipe the bike down with baby-wipes, but there's no oily mess on the chainstay or rear rim to deal with. It's perfect!

Top Bottom