Formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Does anyone really care anymore after the contrived result of last season.

It was never high on my interests, but I wont be watching it again.

icowden

Veteran
There is that. I suppose it depends on the outcome of the current inquest for me, and whether Hamilton races again. Hopefully the new cars will mix things up a bit.

I'll be watching - I think the last race ending was abysmal and totally unacceptable

but at the end of the day Max had to be in it to win it and he was right up there
if he had raced differently or the team had reacted differently or the car had been different or he had got Covid or....

but the last race was as it was and he won fair and square on the basis of the race as it was
whether or not an official made a wrong decision doens't detract from Max's driving, talent, car and all the rest

He ended up with more point - that's all that matters

It is similar to a football match where Liverpool and Man U are level with 2 minutes to go and Man U score but the ref disallows it.
On the restart ManU are still stunned and Liverpool go and score as a result
After the match replays show the goal was OK - but Liverpool still won (as is right!)
and without the disallowed goal Liverpool wouldn;t have scored

but Liverpool still go down as the winner ( as they should)

Wasn't Max's fault and he took a chance when it was handed to him

So I'll be watching - I;d watch Barcelona practice is I could - but I'll have to wait I suppose

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I look forwards to Thursday when we see the first of the 2022 cars unveiled, and then the season starting again. Regardless of your view on the end of last season, it was an exciting race. I for one was pleased to see someone else lift the title, and I'm hopeful that the new rules will mix things up a bit. Be interesting to see who has made the most of the new regulations and if we see a Brawn or 2014 Mercedes repeat..

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It is the inconsistency that makes it a complete farce. The Belgian GP, the whole race (Two feckin' laps) run behind the safety car with no overtaking allowed, then at the last race we "Couldn't allow the race to finish behind the car" so it was pulled out.

I can't think of another sport that where that sort of thing would be allowed to happen.

CXRAndy

Guru
It is the inconsistency that makes it a complete farce. The Belgian GP, the whole race (Two feckin' laps) run behind the safety car with no overtaking allowed, then at the last race we "Couldn't allow the race to finish behind the car" so it was pulled out.

I can't think of another sport that where that sort of thing would be allowed to happen.
It is not a sport, it is a circus. Change the rules, interpret the rules to manipulate the best excitement.

Its a show with big money.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

It was never high on my interests, but I wont be watching it again.

I'd put good money on this coming season having a much larger audience that recent years.

gbb

Legendary Member
I still watch but grudgingly, it hold little interest for me anymore, if i miss it, no problem. Years ago, id be gutted to miss a race.
Soulless, boring, predictable.. As much as i disliked Verstappen when he came on the scene, hes grown on me.
I do miss the Indy style racing from the States, far from boring. Yes it is usually an ovel track but the frequent changes of lead and pace, it was all happening in a smaller space, far more to see, particually when you took the time to learn the drivers.

I don't see the need for all of the changes in the car design especially if they say that they are trying to keep costs down .
If you took out Lewis and Max you would have close racing . The fact that they are way above the others tends to make it a procession.
I don't like the idea of close racing but prefer teams to come up with new ideas or having different tyre manufacturers which come up with different tyre compounds . The idea of a hoard of F1 cars closely grouped together reminds me of Formula Ford racing and would be boring .

figbat

Slippery scientist
If you took out Max and Lewis, someone else would float to the top. There have always been a top 2 or 3 drivers through a season or era and it’s as much a battle of the teams as the drivers. Close racing throughout the pack is almost impossible in a prototype formula; one or two teams will always have the money and resources to succeed. Where we do see close racing it is either in fixed formulae (identical vehicles) or formulae with success penalties (eg BTCC).

icowden

Veteran
I don't see the need for all of the changes in the car design especially if they say that they are trying to keep costs down .
If you took out Lewis and Max you would have close racing .
That would seem to fly against the rules of physics. With the previous cars it was not possible to follow closely due to the aerodynamic disruption caused by the air flow from the car in front. If you were at the front, you tended to stay in front unless your car was a lot more powerful. The new rules are specifically to combat that and to allow the car behind to follow more closely thus making it much easier (hopefully) for overtakes to happen.

byegad

Legendary Member
Had the last race been restarted for the last lap with no back markers moved out of their existing positions, between Max and Lewis then it's entirely possible that Max could have overtaken all 5 and Lewis in the final lap. I for one would have happily accepted that as a result.
However, that's not what happened, some of the back markers were allowed to overtake, but only the 5 between Max and Lewis, which was against the rule which states all such cars should be allowed to overtake the safety car. The adjacent rule says that after all back markers have overtaken the safety car, the race restarts at the beginning of the next lap. In this case that would be at the end of the final lap, and so the finish would have been under the safety car up to the safety car line just before the final corner. Needing only to negotiate the final corner, with no overtaking allowed until the finish line Lewis would have won.

The hybrid choice of application of the rules to ensure a new 'World Champion' was against the spirit of sport and was, in my opinion, a pure theatrical device.

Whatever the inquiry finds and recommends, for me the sport is tainted, in my case after 60+ yrs of following F1 it is the end. I wish all the teams and drivers good luck and may they gain the Steward's favour, because they'll need it.

PK99

Legendary Member
but the last race was as it was and he won fair and square on the basis of the race as it was
whether or not an official made a wrong decision doens't detract from Max's driving, talent, car and all the rest

The last race was the equivalent of the last game of a Premiership season.
The top two teams are equal on points, playing each other.
One team 2 nil up.
The floodlights fail 5 minutes before the end.
Come on again
Game restarts.
Ref says: "Next goal wins"

Utterly ridiculous.
First and last Grand Prix I have watched in full

pure theatrical device.

inconsistency that makes it a complete farce

It's a bit weird criticising F1 for this stuff. Just about every other major sport is officiated with enormous lumps of discretion, mostly with a heavy emphasis on keeping up the entertainment value.
The closest sport is probably cycling: so look at the adjudication of sprint finishes in road-races. Consistent?

Top Bottom