Formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The "fight" afterwards in the McLaren pits.

Ah, that was nothing...

You should listen to that podcast I linked: Derek Warwick had Schuey bent backwards over a table and was about to rearrange his facial features, and Jean-Louis Schlesser egging him on in the background... Was stopped from doing so by Jochen Mass.

The way Derek tells it, I'd have paid good money to see that... :boxing:

D

Deleted member 26715

Martin Brundle barrel rolling in the Australian GP on corner 3?

The best bit about Derek Warwick was after the crash running up the pit lane to jump into the spare car.

Martin Brundle barrel rolling in the Australian GP on corner 3?

Melbourne '96, when driving for Jordan, IIRC...

The best bit about Derek Warwick was after the crash running up the pit lane to jump into the spare car.

And yelling "set 11, set 11" to the mechanics, wanting his next best set of tyres on the spare car. :laugh:

Actually, Monza was his "crackpot" moment... His bravest moments were Zolder '82, Jerez '90 and then the first time he got back into a race car (a test session at the Osterreichring) after Oulton '91.

So: Lewis wins at Silverstone with a flat tyre. Quite an exciting last 3 laps.

My favourite moment was the exchange between Mad Max and the pit-lane on the last lap. He's in 2nd place by about 20seconds, and has (presumably) just found out that Hamilton is going v e r y s l o w l y ...

Max: Can we win the race??
Pit: We can if you get on with it.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
It's always bugged me how (and I know how really) big names get the news and someone else gets relegated to barely even a mention.
Roland Ratzenberger, killed while qualifying for the 94 San Marino GP, I thought terribly sad even though he was one of the lower ranked drivers. The 'show' went on...and of course Senna was killed I the race itself and no-one has ever stopped talking about it. Such is the cache of fame and success I suppose. It always seems unfair...but that's reality. Funny how that always stuck in my mind.
I've almost given up on F1, it's a mere shadow of its former self and I've been a lifelong addict.

Highlight I will remember forever....Mansell trying lap after lap to overtake Senna in the final stages of the Monaco GP.

D

Deleted member 26715

Highlight I will remember forever....Mansell trying lap after lap to overtake Senna in the final stages of the Monaco GP.
Different people see things differently, I'm not a gambling man but I would have put my house on Senna not letting Mansell past, yes it was entertaining but that was all it was, it was never going to happen, not without mechanical & even then chances are that Senna would have taken Mansell out to make sure it was Red flagged & declared the winner. To some he was the greatest driver ever, to me he was one of the biggest cheats.

I've no time for Senna either. Yes, he was brilliant behind the wheel, but utterly, utterly ruthless, and didn't care upon whom he stepped in order to get exactly what he wanted. He could have been equally great, if not more so if he played everything above board.

I'm another one who always remembers Roland Ratzenberger. He worked so hard to get where he was, only for everything to implode like that. Likewise, it's why I still remember Paul Warwick. Last year, all the brouhaha about Michael Schumacher turning 50, yet Paul, who is only a few days younger, got no mention at all. It sticks in my craw, it really does.

Having said that, a little factoid - Humphrey Corbett was Roland's race engineer at Simtek in 1994. Humph was also Paul's race engineer at Madgwick in 1991. To have gone through that same heartache twice...

Afternoon,

......... I've almost given up on F1, it's a mere shadow of its former self and I've been a lifelong addict.

F1 for me has been spoilt by no longer being the obscure band that I loved when I was 13 (Pat Benatar) and is now mainstream and all the imagined mystery has been revealed and it has become pretty unpleasant.

Way back I was involved in writing software to convert electric typewriters into computer printers when that was new, crossover between the 1970s and 1980s and the guy running the project killed himself in his private plane, single engine failed on take off.

He wasn't a friend just a boss, but I was just out of school and it taught me that people die.

When Channel 4 started using Mr. Monger that was a cynical step too far and I stopped watching their coverage.

Susie Wolff had at least driven an F1 car in free practice and Eddie Jordan owned his own team. EJ also made the most outrageous comments which were immense fun.

Top Bottom