Forum layout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Am I going completely mad or did the forum layout used to stretch all the way across the screen? Now there is white space left and right, which looks odd.

Untitled.jpg

Wafer

Veteran
Appears to be an intentional change
Code:
.pageWidth {
margin-right: 1%;
margin-left: 1%;
max-width: 1320px;

Wafer

Veteran
It's in the CSS therefore not a bug to snap out of....
I'm seeing it in Opera, Chrome and Firefox, more likely you're seeing an older cached copy of the css file or something.

OP
OP
Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I'm in google Chrome at the moment but if I hit Cntrl- a couple of times it gives me the margins. Try going to the forum view and hit control + and it might snap to where you remember it.
That zooms in but gives a "large print" version. My default was never so enlarged. Other sites are not affected. @Wafer's answer suggests a change to how the page is served up? Oh well...

sight-pin

Veteran
Have you hit the restore down / up button at top right of screen, from the looks of your on the smaller click thingy

classic33

Leg End Member
Site Change

"This is to stop post text spanning across the entire width of large desktops / monitors and will hopefully improve readability."

Last edited:
Site change.

"This is to stop post text spanning across the entire width of large desktops / monitors and will hopefully improve readability."

It (the CSS maxwidth statement) certainly does the first bit of that. The second bit is largely subjective and from this subject's perspective it's an extremely unwelcome change as I have a small-ish but high resolution screen, about 1/4 of which is now being wasted :cursing:

OP
OP
Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
It (the CSS maxwidth statement) certainly does the first bit of that. The second bit is largely subjective and from this subject's perspective it's an extremely unwelcome change as I have a small-ish but high resolution screen, about 1/4 of which is now being wasted :cursing:
I guess this is my gripe too.

If you are comfortable playing around with files then you can - and I have successfully - override this with a minor bit of fiddling.

In Firefox, you need to create a text file called userContent.css in the chrome sub-directory of your Firefox profile folder. That file does not exist by default, nor does the chrome sub-directory, but if you create them and put the lines below in the file, it'll override the 1320px max-width statement. It will also override any max-width statements on other sites, which may or may not be a problem, though I've not noticed any issues as yet (and if it does, you can reverse this by deleting the userContent.css you created).

.pageWidth {
margin-right: 1%;
margin-left: 1%;
max-width: 100% !important
}

Last edited:
Top Bottom