Forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Sun 28th Aug - 'Dip Into The Dales'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unfortunately I'm out

I'm on child duty all day. Shame. Feels like it's been a while since I've been out with you guys
That's a pity Steve, but there will be other forum rides. I'll try and organise something for the 18th of September and don't forget to pencil in Season of Mists for the first Sunday in October. Last year's event was a washout (for those of us who abandoned; many brave/mad riders did actually continue despite torrential rain and flooding). The previous two editions were held in lovely sunny conditions.

Riders:
  • ColinJ + pal Bill
  • potsy
  • PaulB (some of first half)
  • bromptonfb
  • Calum
Possible rider(s):
  • skudupnorth

potsy

Rambler
Think I saw that stass is riding again, maybe a pm to see if he's available?
weather better be a darn sight more friendly than it was this morning, soaked for the whole 10 miles today. :rain:

If I can make it to HB I would love to join (you did mention it would be SLOW didn't you?) will try my best but don't wait if I haven't introduced myself by 9.45 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If I can make it to HB I would love to join (you did mention it would be SLOW didn't you?) will try my best but don't wait if I haven't introduced myself by 9.45 :thumbsup:
You'll be welcome and it will definitely be slow! I reckon it will take us at least 8 hours including stops, maybe a tad more so you are talking an average speed of a mere 13 kph (8 mph).

My back, bum and dodgy right leg will be suffering in the second half of the ride so I will not be capable of doing more than just limping home by then so I won't be springing any surprises on you!

We will wait until 10:00. (I normally turn up about 09:50-09:55 but most of the others are usually waiting by the time I arrive.)

The forecast for Sunday is that it will be dry, overcast, temperatures mid-teens, and with a strong westerly wind blowing. The wind will only help us for about 25% of the ride so that could be a nuisance, but hey - what doesn't kill us make us stronger, eh? :whistle:

potsy

Rambler
biggrin.gif

We've been misled before with usernames on here, it will be as slow as the slowest rider (Colinj) :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why not come along on one of the flatter Waddington rides late this year/early next year? (We stay off most of the hills on wintry forum rides to avoid icy roads.)

Keep you eyes open for future rides and come along on one of them instead!

I nearly joined you on your last Waddington ride Colin but something came up.

I will look out for the next one.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

biggrin.gif

We've been misled before with usernames on here, it will be as slow as the slowest rider (Colinj) :whistle:
It will be as slow as the slowest rider (Colinj) who plotted the route and has the official Garmin Etrex GPS![sup]1[/sup] :thumbsup:
[sup]1[/sup]Which admittedly has been playing up recently, but I think I might have fixed it by doing a special reset[sup]2[/sup] to convince it that it really didn't have a clue where it was. I then left it on the roof of my house for 30 minutes last night to recalculate that rather important information. (It needed to be somewhere with a clear view of the sky and I didn't want to sit with it in my back yard for half an hour!)

[sup]2[/sup]Hold down the Page key when powering it up.

potsy

Rambler
I *may* have the route saved now, got a brief connection to the computer last night and put it on the Garmin.
Won't make me any faster but just saying, like.:tongue:

Calum obviously knows about -
'oldnslow' and
'Slower than a sluggish sloth'
then? :biggrin:

thanks for the warm welcome, I will most likely have to cycle over from Cleckheaton so providing

1) I don't get lost
2) I aren't knackered by the time I arrive

It sounds like a day to look forward to. I will probably drop off around Oxenhope on the way back though to take a more direct route home :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

thanks for the warm welcome, I will most likely have to cycle over from Cleckheaton so providing

1) I don't get lost
2) I aren't knackered by the time I arrive

It sounds like a day to look forward to. I will probably drop off around Oxenhope on the way back though to take a more direct route home :whistle:
(I quickly check map to remind myself where Cleckheaton is ...)

Ooh, you must be keen!

It looks fairly straightforward to get here - A643, A649, A58, A646. (Not the most scenic roads, mind!).

Getting back from Oxenhope would involve going up through Leeming which is quite a steep climb. It might be better to go drop down earlier from Oakworth and climb through Mytholmes to Cross Roads to get on the A629, then take the A644 through Queensbury to Hipperholme, then the A649, A643?

Alternatively, if it looks like we'd be back in time - ride back with us to Hebden Bridge and catch the 18:32 train to Halifax, arriving 18:44. Change to the 18:49 to Brighouse, arriving 18:59 and ride 3 miles (and a bit of a climb!) back on the A643. £2.80 to you, sir!

potsy

Rambler
£2.80, blimey, I knew cycling was expensive.

No money left for cake then? :tongue:

Just broke my bike, it's getting to be a habit just before a forum ride :biggrin:
This time it's a dodgy gear cable, took the outer off but the inner is badly frayed and has to be replaced, should sort it out tomorrow afternoon.

Hack bike has been put on standby for tomorrows commute :thumbsup:

Think I saw that stass is riding again, maybe a pm to see if he's available?

Yes indeed, have now been out four times this month :thumbsup:

...but nothing longer than 20 miles :sad:

I briefly considered joining you all on this one but then dismissed it. A total of 68 miles since Spring into the Dales in the middle of April - I just don't think I'll have the legs for it yet. I'll keep plodding away for a bit until I'm confident I'll be able to get round without any problems and then I'll be keen to make a come-back.

I hope the roads and the cafe aren't full of bank holiday tourists and that you all have a good ride.

Top Bottom