Forum ride from Hebden Bridge, Sun 28th Aug - 'Dip Into The Dales'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes indeed, have now been out four times this month :thumbsup:

...but nothing longer than 20 miles :sad:

I briefly considered joining you all on this one but then dismissed it. A total of 68 miles since Spring into the Dales in the middle of April - I just don't think I'll have the legs for it yet. I'll keep plodding away for a bit until I'm confident I'll be able to get round without any problems and then I'll be keen to make a come-back.

I hope the roads and the cafe aren't full of bank holiday tourists and that you all have a good ride.
You are probably still fitter than me and potsy! ;)

Never mind, catch you on a later ride - watch out for a forum ride on September 18th and Season of Mists on October 2nd!

My new bottom bracket is in the post, but will it arrive tomorrow morning? I hope so because the old one is clunking badly on steep climbs now.

Steve H

Large Member

Yes indeed, have now been out four times this month

...but nothing longer than 20 miles

I briefly considered joining you all on this one but then dismissed it. A total of 68 miles since Spring into the Dales in the middle of April - I just don't think I'll have the legs for it yet. I'll keep plodding away for a bit until I'm confident I'll be able to get round without any problems and then I'll be keen to make a come-back.

I hope the roads and the cafe aren't full of bank holiday tourists and that you all have a good ride.

Good to hear you are back on the bike though! Hopefully see you out soon

potsy

Rambler
Come along stass, you know we won't leave you behind, even if we could
biggrin.gif

Gear cable fitted, just need a little test ride tomorrow to get the indexing right again :thumbsup:

eltelio

Hi gang.

It will soon be time for another hilly ride from Hebden Bridge. Inspired (and annoyed) by missing this year's Spring Into The Dales audax event, I came up with a route partly based on the new and old versions of SITD, but with a few variations - I called it 'Summer Into The Dales'!

The trouble was, when I checked the figures, I realised that I'd made it a bit too hard for my current level of fitness. Some of you fit buggers would have loved it, but it would have half-killed me so I've cut it down. The new route just sneaks into the Yorkshire Dales national park and then back out again so I've named it 'Dip Into The Dales'. It's still challenging - 103 km long (64 miles) and with 2,200 m (7,200 ft) of climbing, some of it very steep.

Nobody will be left behind, but you should be confident that you can tackle a very hilly ride of this distance. It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 on Sunday, 28th August. Map showing car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

I reckon we will get back at about 1800. (Told you it would be slow!) Those in a hurry to get home can leave us at Steeton and take the regular SITD route back via Keighley. The rest of us will take a more interesting, but harder and slower route back. Let me translate that for you - we'll go over some steep hills rather than round them! ;)

For our main cafe stop, I've found a farm shop/ice cream parlour in a great location after 59 kms.It sells home-made ice cream, paninis, milk shakes, cakes, soft drinks, coffee ... (We can also make a brief stop at The Dalesman in Gargrave at the 40 km point on the way out if need-be.)

Route: Hebden Bridge, Pecket Well, Cock Hill, Oxenhope, Penistone Hill (east side), Haworth, Oakworth, Slippery Ford, Sutton Moor, Lane Ends, Glusburn Moor, Carleton Moor, Elslack, Broughton, Gargrave (Dalesman Cafe?), Flasby, Hetton, Rylestone, B6265 towards Skipton, Embsay, farm cafe stop, Halton East, Bolton Abbey, Bolton Bridge, lane/bridleway to miss section of busy A59, Beamsley, West Hall, footbridge over Wharfe and steps, (cross A65), steep climb of Nudge Hill and steep descent to Silsden, cross A629 to Steeton, (optional quicker way home via Keighley, Cross Roads, Oxenhope ...), Hollins Bank Lane, Hollins Lane, Black Hill, Laycock, Goose Eye, Oakworth, Dockroyd, Haworth, Penistone Hill, Oxenhope, Cock Hill, Pecket Well, Hebden Bridge.

Map: On Bikely, my gpx file.

Profile:

dip-into-the-dales-profile.gif

Riders:
  • ColinJ + pal Bill
  • potsy
  • PaulB (some of first half)
  • bromptonfb
  • Calum
Possible riders:
  • skudupnorth
  • Steve H
Are you up for it too? All Welcome!
Hi Colin, know its a last minute job, but do you mind if I join you tomorrow? I'll attempt to get there on time but dont wait about for me. I'll be coming down from Sunderland, so anything can happen, although it should be pretty quiet that time of day.(famous last words) Anyway see you tomorrow.. Terry

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin, know its a last minute job, but do you mind if I join you tomorrow? I'll attempt to get there on time but dont wait about for me. I'll be coming down from Sunderland, so anything can happen, although it should be pretty quiet that time of day.(famous last words) Anyway see you tomorrow.. Terry
Ooh, you're keen Terry! No problem - it would be good to meet up with you. :hello:

I usually turn up about 09:50 but potsy and bromptonfb often get here for about 09:00 and have breakfast at one of the local cafes. If you like the sound of that, PM them to arrange it.

The first climb straight out of Hebden Bridge will take us roughly 40-45 minutes in the windy conditions so even if you were running slightly late, you could still catch us on the climb, unless you are as slow as us! The route gets a bit complicated after the descent to Oxenhope so you might struggle to find your way from there on unless you have a GPS or a decent map. We will stick to exactly the planned route so if you are late and can follow the route, chase hard and you'll catch us. If you are chasing, make very sure that you follow the route in the right direction - we pass through Oxenhope, Haworth and Oakworth once in each direction by slightly different routes and it would be easy to mix them up!

The forecast now is that we might encounter some rain for a while in the early afternoon. I might carry a light rain jacket to pop on over my gilet in case the rain is heavier than expected.

My new bottom bracket didn't show up so fingers crossed that the clunky old one stands up to the ride! Also - my GPS is still playing up, so I'm writing a route sheet for myself as a reminder of where the turns are.

Riders:
  • ColinJ + pal Bill
  • potsy
  • bromptonfb
  • Calum
Possible rider(s):
  • skudupnorth
  • oldfatfool
  • eltelio
  • A Mystery Female Rider??? :whistle:

PaulB - with the wind conditions forecast, I reckon it will be about noon when we get to Lane Ends on the A6068. If you get there before us and want to keep warm, ride up Dick Lane towards Sutton Moor, and if you still haven't met us, turn right for Slippery Ford. We will definitely be somewhere along that road unless there has been a major problem in which case I'd text you.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My 3000 word assignment hasn't gone to plan and it has to be finished and handed in Tuesday. Sorry guys Gunna duck out. I was hoping it would be done but stuff just kept getting in the way. Have a good one.

Shaun

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I'm out too :sad: Knew it might be the case with needing to some some pre- college work with the National Trust,i'll be the green clad newby in the Land Rover at Styal country park !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My 3000 word assignment hasn't gone to plan and it has to be finished and handed in Tuesday. Sorry guys Gunna duck out. I was hoping it would be done but stuff just kept getting in the way. Have a good one.

Shaun

I'm out too :sad: Knew it might be the case with needing to some some pre- college work with the National Trust,i'll be the green clad newby in the Land Rover at Styal country park !

:sad:

Riders:
  • ColinJ + pal Bill
  • potsy
  • bromptonfb (assignment)
  • Calum
Possible rider(s):
  • skudupnorth (lurking at Styal)
  • oldfatfool
  • eltelio
  • A Mystery Female Rider??? :whistle:

I'm not even going to bother bringing my GPS because it lost satellite lock a few times with me on a test walk around Hebden Bridge this afternoon. Either the Americans have reduced the satellite signal strength recently or the GPS has developed a loose connection or some other obscure fault. It works fine for a while and then just loses track of the satellites.

I've memorised the route and have printed out a little route sheet to jog my memory if I need it.

potsy

Rambler
I will have mine Col, but that is no guarantee with me reading it :wacko:

Shame about Skud and Big Steve not coming, I think we all knew Shaun wouldn't make it
tongue.gif

I hope Calum and Bill are not expecting a quick ride :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will have mine Col, but that is no guarantee with me reading it :wacko:
Let's see how it does!

Shame about Skud and Big Steve not coming, I think we all knew Shaun wouldn't make it
tongue.gif
Yup! ;)

I hope Calum and Bill are not expecting a quick ride :biggrin:
Calum knows the score. I told Bill to expect it to take about 8 hours including stops. I also told him that if he is in a hurry to get home, he can leave us at Steeton and power his way back via Keighley rather than coming the slower, more scenic/lumpy way back with us.

Calum

Yeah I know the score, I wouldn't keep coming if I cared about the pace! See you all in the morning, here's hoping the weather's kind.

Calum

...yeah I expect he'll have the cricket player vibe going on. I slept in till 11 this morning, so wont sleep till about 2: 30. Definitely getting a ripp off coffee at the train station tomorrow...:tongue:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just checked the forecast, max temp of 13 degrees??!!!! :ohmy:
I saw 14° ... I hope that includes the windchill!

Colin will still have a face full of sun cream :whistle:
I will put some on my neck and face but I think I'll leave my arms and legs alone. I can get mild sunburn in 8 hours even on an overcast day at this time of year. I've got too many risk factors for skin cancer to mess about with it (freckles, moles, I burn easily, have had bad sunburn in the past and my dad developed it towards the end of his life despite having much tougher skin than me). Besides, I need to maintain my youthful fresh-faced(-ish) look ... I can't have my skin going all leathery, can I! ;)

Top Bottom