Forum ride - Season of Mists route (Hebden Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Quite pleased with the hill yesterday which is 14 percent  I had avoided it  in my  L2P training but thought I would give it a go before winter really hits . 
Congratulations on tackling that hill!

The hills not the distance  were the make or break to Paris I am not bad on the long steady climbs like the mytholmroyd one but not so good on the very sharp steep ones .
The SoM route includes shortish-and-very-steep, shortish-and-steep, longish-and-steep, longish-and-steepish, long-and-steepish as well as long-and-steady!

Have a good ride and if you do anything less fierce bfore next October maybe I can join you .
Thanks. I suppose I could arrange a ride out to a cafe and back for November if we don't get another early winter. Trouble is - it's hard to find a route round here that doesn't involve lots of hills unless we stick to the busy valley roads. I'll have a think about it...

Since I missed the official Mists, I'm interested.

Agh go on then, i'm in!
Keep 'em coming!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'd like to.... but my Birthdays on Friday, and I'm being treated to a night out by my beter half on Saturday.

The chances of me being in any fit state to ride a bike up any sort of hill on the Sunday are so remote as to be non-existant (with any luck).

And as usual I'm working the following weekend, so that would be out too.

lpjr

Could I be cheeky and ask for the route that you are doing. Too challenging for me at the moment, but would like to give it a go in the near future as I live not too far away.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sadly, yes, I can do it this Sunday. I say 'sadly' but wanted to start off with a red herring. I'm a literal Dickens like that, me.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd like to.... but my Birthdays  on Friday, and I'm being treated to a night out by my beter half on Saturday.

The chances of me being in any fit state to ride a bike up any sort of hill on the Sunday are so remote as to be non-existant (with any luck).

And as usual I'm working the following weekend, so that would be out too.
That job of yours - I don't know!

BTW - Happy Birthday for Friday and enjoy the night out.

Could I be cheeky and ask for the route that you are doing.  Too challenging for me at the moment, but would like to give it a go in the near future as I live not too far away.
No problem - here it is.

If you aren't fit enough now, I'd suggest leaving it until after the clocks go forward in the Spring because by the time you are fit enough this year, there won't be enough time for you to get round in daylight and it's not something you'd want to do in the dark!

Sadly, yes, I can do it this Sunday.  I say 'sadly' but wanted to start off with a red herring.  I'm a literal Dickens like that, me.
Hmm... So, are you going to ride over here first thing, do the route with us round to Nelson and then go straight home, or drive over, do the full route with us and then drive back afterwards?  

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hmm... So, are you going to ride over here first thing, do the route with us round to Nelson and then go straight home, or drive over, do the full route with us and then drive back afterwards?

Nelson! Nelson! I might meet you somewhere which then doesn't involve riding through Belson. I will be there on sunday and I'll check the route and let you know.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Nelson!  Nelson!  I might meet you somewhere which then doesn't involve riding through Belson.  I will be there on sunday and I'll check the route and let you know.  
Nelson is on the way back. We'll be climbing up to Coldwell from there and then back via Widdop. It would make more sense for you to do the Widdop section solo early on to meet us in HB, and then head for home on the B6247 when we get to Barrowford. You'd still get to do 48 miles with us.

Yeah, if it doesn't rain and I remember to get out of bed.
We won't be doing the ride on the 10th if (heavy) rain is forecast. At the moment, the forecast is for a settled spell over the weekend with plenty of sunshine!

I'm terrible at getting out of bed so on ride days I set my phone, a bedside clock and a 3rd travel clock to go off at 5 minute intervals to make sure I don't oversleep! 

Any sign of colly? He doesn't seem to surface on CC much these days.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Nelson is on the way back. We'll be climbing up to Coldwell from there and then back via Widdop. It would make more sense for you to do the Widdop section solo early on to meet us in HB, and then head for home on the B6247 when we get to Barrowford. You'd still get to do 48 miles with us.

I remember that time we did a section last year and it seemed eminently sensible to me to give Belson a wide berth, so we did, much to your chagrin, I recall. I don't know exactly what it is about the place but it fills me with an overwhelming sense of foreboding and I dislike the feeling it engenders immensely. I'll work something out and let you know.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I remember that time we did a section last year and it seemed eminently sensible to me to give Belson a wide berth, so we did, much to your chagrin, I recall.  I don't know exactly what it is about the place but it fills me with an overwhelming sense of foreboding and I dislike the feeling it engenders immensely.  I'll work something out and let you know.
I must admit that I'm not a fan of the place, but we pass through the worst bit pretty quickly and once on the climb it isn't too bad.

The reason I stuck to the Nelson route last time was because I was following my GPS and didn't have a clue about alternatives. I did remember that the climb I've done out of Colne in the past was very steep and didn't fancy that.

Sounds like it'll be a good testing ride,hope you get a decent day for it.
Did you get your wheel sorted OK Colin?
Yes, thanks. I bought a pack of 4 spokes for £8 so now I have 3 spares. I might start carrying one or two with me. Fortunately, the drive-side spokes (like the one that broke) are straight-pull so they can be replaced without having to take the cassette off.

I've done about 60 miles on the wheel since it was repaired and it seems to be holding.

So, are you planning to join us then potsy? ;)

potsy

Rambler

So, are you planning to join us then potsy? ;)

Not this time Col,but am doing the ride that Dan_bo/Fossy are arranging on the 30th.
Hoping it's not quite as hilly as the one you guys are doing,though it's being described as 'lumpy'
ohmy.gif

tubbycyclist

I think I can get a pass out for this ride and would like to join you.

I missed it last weekend too as I had agreed to do something else - although given the conditions I was more than a little relieved.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think I can get a pass out for this ride and would like to join you.

I missed it last weekend too as I had agreed to do something else - although given the conditions I was more than a little relieved.
It would be nice to see you again. Are you going to have some nice low gears this time? ;)
Hopefully my leg won't pack up on that steep hill at Thursden on this ride! It was starting to play up in the rain on Sunday, but I think that was because it was so cold and wet. 

Okay, since I can't edit the original post...

Start from the Market Place car park in Hebden Bridge, 10:00, Sunday,  Oct 10th.

Map showing car park

It's a long stay pay-and-display car park and is only about 30p/hour. NB - wardens regularly patrol here and issue £70 fines so make sure you pay enough!

We should be back by 18:00, but it might be an idea to carry emergency lights in case we get held up by mechanical problems.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

Top Bottom