Forum ride - Season of Mists route (Hebden Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Alun, battered, and I abandoned the official Season of Mists ride on October 3rd due to horrendous weather conditions and we want our revenge!

For those of you who don't know it - it is a 100 km route starting and finishing in Hebden Bridge, with 2,550 m of very tough climbing. It is not a ride for beginners or anybody who doesn't like hills!

There will be a cafe stop at Waddington and potentially another short one at Coldwell Activity Centre if we get there before it shuts.

We intend to ride the route on Sunday, October 10th, subject to acceptable weather conditions. If the weather is bad, we'll put it back a week to the 17th.

Realistically, we will be riding at a pretty slow average speed (including stops, it is likely to be about 14 kph or 9 mph).

We will set off from Hebden Bridge at 10:00 we should be back in daylight but it might be an idea to carry emergency lighting just in case.

PaulB/Rammylad/Sysagent - you have previously expressed interest in SoM - do you fancy joining us? Is anybody else interested?

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Aye be definitely up for this on the 10th!

Disclaimer: Weather conditions permitting.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd love to... but haven't been on the bike in so long. I'll try to get fit enough for your next ride though :ohmy:
aJ - I've only done 200 miles since Aug 1st and Alun was struggling a bit yesterday too. If we old guys are willing to die on our bikes (in dry conditions!), a young whipper-snapper like you should be too! ;)

Jacqui

Think I am too slow to join you but maybe next time.

Would love to do something as enjoyed the L2P and really want to carry on with the cycling but need to work on speed and hills. Did the big hill from Bailiff Bridge today which I was quite pleased about but very very slowly.

Hopefully the weather will be like today not yesterday.

aJohnson

aJ - I've only done 200 miles since Aug 1st and Alun was struggling a bit yesterday too. If we old guys are willing to die on our bikes (in dry conditions!), a young whipper-snapper like you should be too! ;)

That's still more than me :ohmy:

I'll let you know closer to the date, hopefully I'll manage to get in some miles beforehand.

longers

Legendary Member
Tempted as I missed yesterdays ride. Will keep an eye on the weather for the 10th.

zacklaws

Guru
Tempted as I missed yesterdays ride. Will keep an eye on the weather for the 10th.

I actually caught up with someone on a "fixie" yesterday climbing the hills, just before Coldwell doing the course. If it was insane to do it in the rain on a normal bike, to do it on a fixed wheel over them hills as well is an acheivement, probably bordering on lunacy

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Think I am too slow to join you but maybe next time.

Would love to do something as enjoyed the L2P and really want to carry on with the cycling  but need to work on speed and hills.  Did the big hill from Bailiff Bridge today  which I was quite pleased about  but very very slowly.

Hopefully the weather will be like today not yesterday.
To be honest Jacqui, it isn't really the speed because we will be riding pretty slowly, it's the severity of the hills. This is one mean route with some very hard climbs on it. I think it would be wise to give yourself another season to build up to this kind of thing. It took me a lot longer than that...

That's still more than me :ohmy:

I'll let you know closer to the date, hopefully I'll manage to get in some miles beforehand.
You've only got 5 more days!

It would be good to see you again, and you could buy your own painted stone from Coldwell if we got round there in time (doubtful, actually). I didn't make it yesterday!

Jacqui

Will look out for it next year .

Quite pleased with the hill yesterday which is 14 percent I had avoided it in my L2P training but thought I would give it a go before winter really hits .

The hills not the distance were the make or break to Paris I am not bad on the long steady climbs like the mytholmroyd one but not so good on the very sharp steep ones .

Have a good ride and if you do anything less fierce bfore next October maybe I can join you .

Top Bottom