Forum ride - Season of Mists route (Hebden Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
We should be back by 18:00,

There's a train at quarter to I'd like to not miss, an earlier one would be better if possible.

Where're we planning on having a proper stop for eats? I can't remember from last year what the options are.

Hopefully see you all on sunday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a train at quarter to I'd like to not miss, an earlier one would be better if possible.

Where're we planning on having a proper stop for eats? I can't remember from last year what the options are.

Hopefully see you all on sunday.
Assuming no punctures or mechanical problems, it will be purely down to the (lack of!) fitness levels of some of us (especially mine!) what time we get back

I have done SoM in about 6 hours in the past but I know I'm much less fit now and weigh more so I reckon a minimum of 7 hours including the cafe stop.

A suggestion: We could split into a fast group and a slow group in Nelson. Navigation back from there is straightforward. If you (longers) and any other quick riders want to ride on ahead from there, I wouldn't be offended. 

The last time I did a forum ride up the Thursden climb towards Widdop, I injured my right leg on the climb. Calum had a train to catch so he went on ahead, and tubbycyclist stayed back and accompanied me home.

As for the cafe stop... The official SoM cafes are Country Kitchen in Waddington and Coldwell Activity Centre. 

I like Country Kitchen but it has a major disadvantage on this route - it is at the bottom of the climb of Waddington Fell! I don't like stopping and eating and drinking, then having to tackle a stiff climb like the Fell with cold legs. Also, it is a bit early on with only 40 km of the 100 km total covered.

I therefore propose carrying straight on through Waddington, and continue on the route round to Slaidburn and go to the cafe there. We still have climbing to do straight from that cafe, but it is broken into smaller chunks with some respite. It is at the 54 km point.

We can always make a very quick stop at Waddington for drinks if anybody can't last another 14 km.

What do you think?

We might just get to Coldwell in time to catch the cafe but I'd rather just make the one stop if that's okay?

longers

Legendary Member
I don't think I'll be rushing off anywhere on sunday unless the weather is pants.
Stopping properly in Slaidburn rather than Waddington sounds like a good idea but I'm happy to go along with what others fancy.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I don't think I'll be rushing off anywhere on sunday unless the weather is pants.
The forecast is for sunshine and temperatures around 17 degrees C!   :biggrin:

And now for the bad news... :wacko: 

The route is mainly in a NW direction on the way out and SE on the way back and that same forecast also suggests 17 mph easterly winds with gusts up to 30 mph so we could well have a favourable cross-tailwind from Hebden Bridge and an evil cross-headwind on the return leg!    

I'm happy with that Colin, provided Longers doesn't get that last piece of cake, again ! :whistle:
I'll distract him while you get the cakes in!

Alun

Guru
Colin, I'll see you tomorrow before 10am, I'm picking Sysagent up at Gt Harwood at 9am and then driving over. Looking forward to it, what a difference 7 days makes, don't forget your suncream! :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin, I'll see you tomorrow before 10am, I'm picking Sysagent up at Gt Harwood at 9am and then driving over. Looking forward to it, what a difference 7 days makes, don't forget your suncream! :biggrin:
What a difference 1 day makes Alun!

And don't forget your windtop!

I'll aim to get to the car park at about 09:40.

So, who have we got then?
  • ColinJ (Despite watching recording of Die Hard 4 until 02:15!)
  • Alun
  • Sysagent
  • Calum (Dissertating!)
  • longers
  • tubbycyclist
  • PaulB (Paul - do you fancy the car park in HB at 09:45 or the Kettledrum, Mereclough at 10:45-11:00?)
  • Bokonon? (Yes, if he wakes up in time!)
  • Uncle Phil?
  • aJohnson?
  • battered? (Being visited)
Does anybody else fancy joining us for a slow, hard, scenic ride? I'll check here before setting off in the morning to see if anybody adds or subtracts their name. 

Alun

Guru
Colin,

Battered won't be with us tomorrow, he's got visitors !

Looking at last years diary, you've still got the "Beat the Clocks" and "Climbs Hills Slowly" rides to organise this year !:biggrin:

Calum

Sorry but i'm out, been up working on my dissertation plan and haven't finished it so it's gonna have to be done tomorrow. Hope you all have a fantastic day and enjoy what's probably gonna be the best day of weather we'll have till april.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin,

Battered won't be with us tomorrow, he's got visitors !

Looking at last years diary, you've still got the "Beat the Clocks" and "Climbs Hills Slowly" rides to organise this year !:biggrin:
Okay, I'll cross him off the list. As for rides later in the year- true, but they were both cold and wet!

Sorry but i'm out, been up working on my dissertation plan and haven't finished it so it's gonna have to be done tomorrow. Hope you all have a fantastic day and enjoy what's probably gonna be the best day of weather we'll have till april.
Enjoy the work Calum - been there, done that, got the 2:1 and felt really p'd off to miss a First by 0.5%! ;)

If we have some okay weather, I'll organise another ride or two before Christmas - watch spaces like this... 

Bokonon

Über Member
I'm out of bed! I'm also running a little late so will get to Hebden Bridge station at 9:52 (/if/ the train is on time.) If I'm going to be delayed, I'll call/text to arrange and meeting point and will catch up...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Everybody who is coming has probably already set off, and I'll be getting ready soon myself. 

It's dry here but cloudy, but that is as forecast. It should be clearing once we are about an hour into the ride. It was really windy here yesterday and it looks like being the same today. The second half of the ride is going to be hard work...

PaulB

Legendary Member
Colin, hope I've caught you but have a MAJOR computer AND mobile phone problem which only became apparent this AM so due to work committments looking like being wrecked if I don't get this sorted, I'm going to need to get it sorted. Very complicated (for me) and I know you'd be able to sort it in seconds but me...I'm dim on computers so sorry, I won't show today. Sincere apologies.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin, hope I've caught you but have a MAJOR computer AND mobile phone problem which only became apparent this AM so due to work committments looking like being wrecked if I don't get this sorted, I'm going to need to get it sorted.  Very complicated (for me) and I know you'd be able to sort it in seconds but me...I'm dim on computers so sorry, I won't show today.  Sincere apologies.
Sorry to hear that Paul. Catch you next time. Gotta dash or I'll be late!

Good luck sorting out the technology!

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Sorry for cutting the ride short again lads, I bet you are beginning to think it is deliberate...

Would have loved to have got all the route done to Hebden Bridge with you (I was just getting my 2nd wind on the A59) but the rear mech problems and that cassette were playing on my mind, so much so that as soon as I arrived home I cleaned all the drive train up and had a thorough analysis of it all before cleaning myself.

Looking at it, the replaceable rear mech hanger is quite bent but the frame looks sound, so that will need replacing, the cassette looks ok but has more than 5mm of play on the rear wheel, so I think that needs taking apart and seeing what's causing it to keep loosening, the rear derailleur looks ok and probably is and just needs a professional mechanic to set it all up right.

Enjoyed myself today and was great to be out with such good company, hopefully I will get everything rectified and be out again with you lot sooner than later.

p.s. We still haven't done the Trough Of Bowland like we said we was going to.

Top Bottom