Forum ride - Season of Mists route (Hebden Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tubbycyclist

I can think of a couple of people who might be up for that. I suggest that you organise the ride and when there is a set date/time I can ask if they are interested.

I can't do the 6th/7th November but am currently free all other weekends to mid-November.

I could probably give you a lift - depending on the date.

I will make sure I do some miles between now and then though.

Svendo

Guru
Glad you had a good ride . I did the one Claire Balding did from Hebden to Haworth, Wycoller etc and back down to Hebden was 30 miles and some of the hills after Trawden were more than cheeky ,very windy as well so think it will be a long long time before I am up to a longer one with so much climbing .

I like that route, I first found it on Bikeradar's Bikely route scrape looking for longer rides ohhhh, 5 years ago? This was before I'd found CC and ColinJ's hilly torture rides. It was posted by a 'tubbycyclist'

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Moor-moor-moor

It occurs to me, is this the tubbycyclist of this parish, or a coincidence? Though as it turns out Harold Briercliffe had published the route decades ago, although in his day you could take the old Haworth road, and get through from the Widdop road to Wycoller as well.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I could probably give you a lift - depending on the date.

I will make sure I do some miles between now and then though.
Super - thanks very much!

A Trough of Bowland loop from Spring Wood picnic centre (Whalley) should be about 50 miles or so depending on the exact route.

Hey Russ, if you don't already have a detailed route in mind, how about a rerun of the CC ride I organised back in June 2008 - this one?

That came in at 56 miles. Apart from the Trough, it also took in Longridge Fell, Beacon Fell and Waddington Fell, with a cafe stop after the hills were finished, at Waddington.

PS I've just had a call from PaulB. He was very sorry to miss yesterday's ride and was most miffed to spend a fine sunny day indoors trying to sort his I.T. problem out. He said he'd come along on the Trough ride if he is free that day. 

PaulB

Legendary Member
Right, my IT problems aren't entirely over but I have found a way to get on the internet! Whoopee! The thing is, for no reason I can fathom, I've lost the Safari icon I had so I now have to go onto e-mails, pick an old Facebook one and geton-line from there! I know, it's awful, innit. Still, at least I can get online.

One soon come date I cannot do is Sunday 24th Oct as I will be cycling to Fataga and San Bartolome in Gran Canaria that day. I also would struggle to get along on 7th Nov (unless LFC have gone out of business afore then - and let's face it, that's possible
wacko.gif
).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

One soon come date I cannot do is Sunday 24th Oct as I will be cycling to Fataga and San Bartolome in Gran Canaria that day.
Sounds lovely - have a nice time!

How about Sun 31st Oct? The clocks will have gone back so sunset will be round about 16:30 that day. Any later in the year and lack of daylight and poor weather conditions could cause problems.

Kevin (tc) - could you make the 31st?

Russ - do you want to start a new thread about the Trough ride, or should I?

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
I will start one Colin if you want, the thing is I think in view of the failing light and the lack of fitness that some people are experiencing towards the end of the season we should keep the ride as less hilly as possible matey and just do the classic Trough round route, which I have detailed here:-

Whalley To The Trough of Bowland

If the general consesus is to do the hillier, longer route than yeh I am good for that, but after Sunday's experiences I think the shorter less hilly one would be a safer bet...

:smile:

Alun

Guru
I think that 40 miles is probably enough, especially with the clocks going back. Through Dunsop Bridge and up the Trough first, ie anticlockwise?
I'm in for the 31st Oct, weather permitting.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

So, what you are trying to say (in the nicest possible way of course! ;)) is that for some of us - the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak! (Looks towards the sky and whistles innocently...)   :whistle:

Yeah, that's probably sensible! I just love it out there and let my enthusiasm get the better of me. Let's do a longer Trough ride in the Spring. 

Okay - over to you!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Some of my photos from Sunday's ride...

Traffic jam at Fence village

cyclechatters-at-fence-wide.jpg

Pendle Hill from Forest of Pendle

pendle-hill-from-forest-of-pendle-wide.jpg

Cycle Chatters, Forest of Pendle [L-R tubbycyclist, Lee, Bokonon, longers, Alun, Sysagent]

cycle-chatters-forest-of-pendle-wide.jpg

A Lonely cyclist climbs the Nick o'Pendle

lonely-cyclist-climbs-nick-o-pendle.jpg

When once is not enough (longers head down to Sabden to climb 'The Nick' again!)

cyclists-nick-of-pendle.jpg

Waddington Fell (Waddington side)

waddington-fell-waddington-side-wide.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
I worked in Nelson for 5 years. I thought it was the most miserable hole I have ever been in. It was ok about 20 years ago but the decline since then has been massive. I worked for the council and I never met any staff that actually lived in Nelson.

tubbycyclist

Sounds lovely - have a nice time!

How about Sun 31st Oct? The clocks will have gone back so sunset will be round about 16:30 that day. Any later in the year and lack of daylight and poor weather conditions could cause problems.

Kevin (tc) - could you make the 31st?

Russ - do you want to start a new thread about the Trough ride, or should I?

Should be OK for 31st..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think that 40 miles is probably enough, especially with the clocks going back. Through Dunsop Bridge and up the Trough first, ie anticlockwise?
I'm in for the 31st Oct, weather permitting.
Yes, yes and ditto!

Should be OK for 31st..
Thanks!

I'd be up for some these but I tend to go out with the local CTC on a Sunday. Now if there were any Saturday runs....
We started doing them on Sundays for people who can't make Saturdays, but perhaps we should do more Saturday rides for people who can't make Sundays! The trains are certainly better on Saturdays so earlier starts are possible for people who come in by train.

Russ - I'd start the new ride thread soon or you will probably find that people are booked up to do other things!

lpjr

I will start one Colin if you want, the thing is I think in view of the failing light and the lack of fitness that some people are experiencing towards the end of the season we should keep the ride as less hilly as possible matey and just do the classic Trough round route, which I have detailed here:-

Whalley To The Trough of Bowland

If the general consesus is to do the hillier, longer route than yeh I am good for that, but after Sunday's experiences I think the shorter less hilly one would be a safer bet...

:smile:
Hi Sysagent, I am going to this route next Wednesday. Can you give me an average time for the route, want to make sure I am back in time for the School run.

Cheers.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Hi LPJR,

Well when I last did it this was the timing:-

Ride time: 3:19:24
Stopped time: 4:13
Distance: 44.16 miles
Average speed: 13.29 miles/h
Fastest speed: 37.66 miles/h

Hope this helps!

Russ