Found a good radio station?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
At home always 4 Extra, but I do like pick of the pops on Radio 2 on Saturday.
Anyone who thinks sixties music was one timeless classic after another should listen to Brian Matthews on Saturday morning. To call a lot of it crap is libelling crap.

Mrs M

Guru
Only listen to the radio in the car, Radio 2 usually.
North sound is unbearable, the drivel spoken by the DJ's makes Me want to scream!!!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Only listen to the radio in the car, Radio 2 usually.
North sound is unbearable, the drivel spoken by the DJ's makes Me want to scream!!!
I'm just back from Aberdeen (again!), this time driving for Circle Express to Kirkhill. I always listen to Aberdeen based "Original" radio whenever I get in range. It is one of the better stations available on normal radio, anywhere, IMHO..

andabby

Über Member
I'm just back from Aberdeen (again!), this time driving for Circle Express to Kirkhill. I always listen to Aberdeen based "Original" radio whenever I get in range. It is one of the better stations available on normal radio, anywhere, IMHO..

Original down here too, mind am on the limit, few miles south and im stuck with radio 2, or silence, which is preferable in the afternoons

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm listening to Smooth Radio. Gladys Night and the Pips Midnight Train To Georgia is on... again! I now find myself miming the backing singers words every time it comes on!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can't be the same, is Smooth not a local Glasgow radio station?
That's what they want us to think.
Like an awful lot of radio stations now (Heart and Capital spring to mind), they are big national corporations. They switch to local presenters at certain times of the day (e.g. the breakfast show on Smooth is presented from Glasgow by John McCaulay), but then revert to national presenters. Adverts are regional, as are some news bulletins.
All designed to improve the service save money and make the fat cats fatter.

Edit. From the website:
Global Radio
Smooth Radio is part of Global Radio, the largest commercial radio group in the UK and one of the largest in Europe. The company owns the three largest brands in commercial radio: Heart, Capital and Classic FM, as well as LBC, XFM and Gold.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Anyone at a loose end on New Years Day could do worse(!) than tune in to Radio 4. They are broadcasting a twelve hour edition of War and Peace, running from 9am to 9:30pm (Breaks for the news and The Archers).

I can't wait:hyper:

andyfraser

Über Member
Another vote for Planet Rock for me. I do like some stuff on Radio 4 and listen to Kermode and Mayo on Five Live but usually via their podcast for the extras. I'd listen to Jazz FM more if they played more early 70s fusion and some of the more experimental stuff from the 50s and 60s.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
KCRW is a good one for contemporary music which, given the time difference, you can catch during the day here (their overnight). It's mostly talk radio during the Californian day as it's a PBS station.

Other than that, I allow Absolute 80s and 90s to wash over me sometimes. Their playlists are too narrow though. This website has proof (13% variety against 69% for 6Music and 60% for Radio 2).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Anyone at a loose end on New Years Day could do worse(!) than tune in to Radio 4. They are broadcasting a twelve hour edition of War and Peace, running from 9am to 9:30pm (Breaks for the news and The Archers).I can't wait:hyper:
I'm going for a long bike ride on new year's day :smile:
Really, I am, but if I wasn't no way I could give my undivided attention to a broadcast for 12 hours solid :eek:

Top Bottom