found a hedgehog...what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As promised, here's a link to the hog home that our kids (and me!) built a few weeks ago
https://sites.google.com/site/hogsinchester/
It should survive a nuclear attack. Paging @nappadang.

:hyper: After a couple of empty bowls, we've just had our first proper hog sighting! Photo upload tomorrow, if you can stand the suspense.
(Wish I didn't get so excited by this ...)

nappadang

Über Member
:hyper: After a couple of empty bowls, we've just had our first proper hog sighting! Photo upload tomorrow, if you can stand the suspense.
(Wish I didn't get so excited by this ...)
Brilliant!! I bet the kids are over the moon too. Get your hibernacula set up and with a bit of luck, you'll have an over wintering hog in your garden. It might be worth weighing it before the cold weather sets in. Ideally, hogs should be 600g (people have differing views on exact weights) before they hibernate.

Keep up the excellent work, hedgehog conservation needs more people like yourselves.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
depends who you are but being a country lad and half farmer i wouldn't mess about and it would be dead and te crows would have picked out what they can by now
if i had a shotgun it would also be used as bait to shoot the crows or whatever else that comes to have it
Cheers Ed

So you'd kill the hedgehog then use it to kill crows. Any particular reason or is that you just like killing?

Crankarm

Guru
depends who you are but being a country lad and half farmer i wouldn't mess about and it would be dead and te crows would have picked out what they can by now
if i had a shotgun it would also be used as bait to shoot the crows or whatever else that comes to have it
Cheers Ed

Redneck.

FirstHog.jpg

A bit like spot the ball, but here's our first hog in the hedge yesterday evening. Not checked yet to see whether he/she had their supper but they it was in the hedge next to the feeder.
Update: SteveHog, as he/she has been named, did indeed clear their plate last night. Another bowl of food out this morning.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a hedgehog question. We know that we get one in our garden occasionally from the hedgehog poo left behind, and I've seen it once crossing the road and coming into our garden, and another time when we were looking after the neighbours hens we had to boot it out of their hen house as the hens wouldn't go to bed with him in there.

Now on that neighbours side we have hedges, but on the other we have some wall and some fence panels. The panels need to be replaced. I have read that they just need a hole 13 cm square to get through? Is there a best way to do that? Can it be done with pre bought fence panels or would we have to do the pinning individual laps of fence to the posts to make a hole?

nappadang

Über Member
I have a hedgehog question. We know that we get one in our garden occasionally from the hedgehog poo left behind, and I've seen it once crossing the road and coming into our garden, and another time when we were looking after the neighbours hens we had to boot it out of their hen house as the hens wouldn't go to bed with him in there.

Now on that neighbours side we have hedges, but on the other we have some wall and some fence panels. The panels need to be replaced. I have read that they just need a hole 13 cm square to get through? Is there a best way to do that? Can it be done with pre bought fence panels or would we have to do the pinning individual laps of fence to the posts to make a hole?
We simply hacked the bottom off one of our fence panels. Ideally, two points of access is better but if you have hedge on one side, you'll already have this.

young Ed

Veteran
So you'd kill the hedgehog then use it to kill crows. Any particular reason or is that you just like killing?
yes i would kill it and then use it as bait for either crows, magpies, foxes etc
not just because i like killing but the hedgehog is in a bad state in the first place and the magpies, crows, foxes etc need shooting as it is so at least i don't just kill the hedgehog and let it go to waste
no but simply someone with a hobby of shooting and pest control is necessary, also read my reply to accy cyclist above
Cheers Ed

raleighnut

Legendary Member

If you're going to cut a hole in the bottom of a fence panel (good idea BTW) fasten on some battens to surround the hole before you cut it out to keep the thin fence boards in place then cut out the hole with a coping saw using the battens as a guide, it will also help to keep them from flapping about when you saw them. I once did something similar for an elderly cat we had that could get out of our garden but couldn't get back in again.

Top Bottom