found a hedgehog...what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SteveHog is becoming a regular visitor. He has cleared his bowl each night and tonight we were properly introduced:
SteveHog.jpg

Master MQ was probably the most excited I've seen him in a long time.

nappadang

Über Member
SteveHog is becoming a regular visitor. He has cleared his bowl each night and tonight we were properly introduced:
View attachment 57672
Master MQ was probably the most excited I've seen him in a long time.
Hugh Warwick (follow him on Twitter) waxes lyrical about the thrill of getting face to face with a hog in his book, A Prickly Affair (well worth a read). It may sound soft but it really is a very special moment.
Hopefully we can ensure their survival so future generations have the opportunity to experience this.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Before you get it to a recue centre, try to hydrade it. Cat food is good, particularly sachets of chicken. If you can mash it up with cat milk, that's good too (not cows milk, that's bad for them as said above).

We took one covered in flies and fly eggs yesterday to a rescue place doubting it would survive the night and it's doing fine today apparently. This is after finding another, very young one (100gms!) wandering about by the roadside in Norfolk on Saturday lunchtime (took him to East Winch RSPCA and they callled him Harpley - the name of the village we found him in). Hopefully we can go back and collect him in a few weeks and release him here before winter.
I would point out that cat milk is very expensive due to the relatively low yield from female cats and the inherent dangers of actually milking a cat. It can take a long time to get a pint.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Of being a bloke?
Now you've confused me? It wasn't my idea to be a bloke? I can hear the sound of something passing way overhead and would like very much for you to spell it out in terms an idiot could understand. Then I will stand at least some chance.

Reactions: gbb

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Could be different shaped noses, but that might just be camera angle.

A friend dropping me home from pilates spotted my one just crossing the road as she was about to drop me at home, so that would have been about 8:15. I'm going to go out about then in the evening to see if I can get a better spot of him. I've worked out why he goes in via next door, it's because we have a wooden gate going down to ground level, and then a 6 inch drop to the lawn. I'm going to have to see what I could do on the long run to make it easier for him.

Where do they go during the daytime? Sleeping in a hedgerow?

Last edited:

nappadang

Über Member
@nappadang, we've had another sighting
View attachment 58125
Master MQ thinks its a different hog from last week. I'm not so sure, any ideas from an expert?
View attachment 58126
In all honesty Martin, it's impossible to tell.
If there's 1 there will be more so I'd let Master MQ believe what he wants if it will enhance his interest/ curiosity.
Some people (not us) mark a hog with nail varnish on a few spines, apparently it does no harm. Using red is a bad idea as it may be mistaken for blood.
Sorry I can't help. Kind of you to refer to me as an expert but in the interests of fairness, it's Mrs Dang who does most of the difficult work.

nappadang

Über Member
Where do they go during the daytime? Sleeping in a hedgerow?
They will sleep in a hedgerow or anywhere secluded, safe and warm. Sadly, during grass cutting season countless hogs sustain horrific injuries due to the strimming of long grass at the edges of hedgerows.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is a very long hedgerow on the opposite side of the road, and I don't think it gets cut right upto the edge. But he seems to want to cross the road to snuffle around in our gardens in the evening. Perhaps we have a different variety of food in our gardens.

nappadang

Über Member
There is a very long hedgerow on the opposite side of the road, and I don't think it gets cut right upto the edge. But he seems to want to cross the road to snuffle around in our gardens in the evening. Perhaps we have a different variety of food in our gardens.
Hogs will cover quite large area foraging for food. They're not territorial in the strictest sense of the word, though they do seem to have a "patch."
Your garden would appear to be on this hog's patch, try putting some dog or cat food out to aid his or her hunt for food.

Top Bottom