found a hedgehog...what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hogs will cover quite large area foraging for food. They're not territorial in the strictest sense of the word, though they do seem to have a "patch."
Your garden would appear to be on this hog's patch, try putting some dog or cat food out to aid his or her hunt for food.
As in tinned, or do they eat dry stuff? And I thought they were meant to eat slugs we have lots of those!

When do they hibernate? Is it related to day length or temperature?

nappadang

Über Member
As in tinned, or do they eat dry stuff? And I thought they were meant to eat slugs we have lots of those!

When do they hibernate? Is it related to day length or temperature?
They will eat either, moist is generally the first to go in our garden but they are partial to a bit of Iams too. It's best to try avoiding fish based cat food though some hogs tend to eat this also.
Hogs are insectivores (similar to moles and shrews) so prefer insects, catarpillars and worms, though they are carnivores, so will eat different meats. Regarding slugs etc, hogs are the gardener's friend as they do eat a lot of slugs but, slugs carry a parasite called lungworm (nemetode, I think) which will kill an infected, untreated hog.

A hog will hibernate when it gets too cold to forage, so it is more related to temp than day length. a hog of less than 600 grams will probably not survive hibernation, so sticking some extra food out now could be a big help to your local population.

Hope this helps,

Mick

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
slugs carry a parasite called lungworm (nemetode, I think) which will kill an infected, untreated hog.
Does that mean that using nematodes as slug control is bad? I thought I was being good not using slug pellets, though we don't use them in the general garden just at the allotment and in a raised salad bed at home.

nappadang

Über Member
Does that mean that using nematodes as slug control is bad? I thought I was being good not using slug pellets, though we don't use them in the general garden just at the allotment and in a raised salad bed at home.
Im no expert here so further research would be advisable but I think what you are using is fine and will not harm hedgehogs. I hope I'm not wrong!
Normal slug pellets are very harmful if poisoned slugs are constantly being eaten by hedgehogs.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Use it to make crisps
hedgehog-flavoured-crisps.jpg

Tim Hall

Now you've confused me? It wasn't my idea to be a bloke? I can hear the sound of something passing way overhead and would like very much for you to spell it out in terms an idiot could understand. Then I will stand at least some chance.
Here's a picture to help:
IMGP4220.JPG

Why can't hedgehogs learn to share the hedge?

SELFISH.

Top Bottom