Fountain pen usage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I use fountain pens, albeit with cartridges.

I have a a nice, but inexpensive stainless steel bodied Parker that lives in the pen loop of my filofax, a black platic bodied Parker that stays in my meeting notes book, a Rotring Esprit collapsible fountain pen (really nifty) that lives at home, and gets taken out if I need a pocket size pen and lastly a Rotring Art Pen for sketching and occasional long hand letters.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I just inscribe things on wet clay and leave them in the sun to dry. :smile:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I "invested" in one of those propelling pencil type writing implements. It has a 0.5mm lead in B. Being B means you get a darker line than Hb.

This is very good for writing in diaries, cos then my diary does not get in a humungous mess with crossings out, and tippex etc. Also excellent for writing short lists on the back of envelopes.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Speicher said:
I "invested" in one of those propelling pencil type writing implements. It has a 0.5mm lead in B. Being B means you get a darker line than Hb.

That's exactly what I use at work - a 0.5mm Rotring propelling pencil.
HB though - I'm not as bold as you! :smile:

chap

Veteran
Fountain pens

My sentiments exactly, the fountain pen is an irriplacable writing impliment, because nothing has quite managed to beat it at what it does. It is a little dishertening every time, you see the football managers, Apprentice 'big-wigs', and their ilk demonstrating their fiscal virility by sketching with a garish Mont Blanc rollerball, or even ballpoint. It does serve as a reflection and a statement but in an ironic fashion.

In fact, I am rather against Mont Blancs in general, like many (normally British) companies, they prefer to rest on their laurels content at their established place in history, i.e. Anne Franks pen. Any other similarity between their new products, and those of the past are merely linked by name. The quality of their pens is now abysmal!

A fountain pen is the totality of its seperate components. Every part can affect the final product from the ink you choose, the the barrel, right down to the nib. Therefore, there is little point purchasing a £500 pen which uses a £7 nib, the result shall be mediocre.

Instead, I recommend investing in a Pelikan, Parker, Conway Stewart, or a Lamy. With these, you shall get far better value for money - make sure you test them before use however. Also do not forget to use a quality ink, such as Parkers Quink (only if a Parker), Noodlers, or Visconti. Good paper will get you far too, this is something the French are good at, try Rhodes or Clairfontaine.

Slowgrind

I only use quality pens too! I like Argos pens but our bookies have a far superior type with a screw top that you can chew when you need distracting!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Kirstie said:
I just read the title of this thread as 'fountain pen sausage'
I wonder about the content of my mind sometimes...!

That would be a sausage that squirts ink, then? :tongue:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Kirstie said:
I just read the title of this thread as 'fountain pen sausage'

Hot dog!! knew I'd seen one somewhere ...

sausage-pen.jpg

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have a couple of decent fountain pens (both Parkers), and I always intend to use them - but I just have nothing to use them for, most of the time. I rarely use any paper at all these days. I also have a lot of Japanese brushes and ink for 'shodo' (Japanese calligraphy), which lie similarly unused (largely because of time)...

I never touch sausages.

No, No, No - I am left handed and when writing with a fountain pen the tendency to pass ones hand across the page with the result that it looks like an elephant has dipped its feet in paint and walked across - the insistance of schools on using the fountain pen (and in my early years those silly pens you had to dip in an ink well) rather put back my scholastic talents - I might of had the oppisete opinion if the stupid convention of writing left to right had been reversed - the most liberating thing I have found when it comes to writing anything is the word processer - people using fountain pens may look classy but that is all it is - a triumph of show over substance

Top Bottom