Fountain pen usage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Flying_Monkey said:
I am maintaining a discreet and dignified distance from this comment... :tongue:

But of course, nobody is fooled...

Can I put in a vote for the much derided Bic Biro.

1. It works every time. Far better than any posh ball point.
2. Unlike your ink pen or even a posh ball point, you can see how much ink is in it.
3. It last about 30 times as long as an ink pen.
4. It costs about 20p
5. It is colour coded.
6. You can find lots of other uses for the cap or the tube of it.
7. The cap is in a special soft plastic which is ideal for chewing without messing up the main part of the pen.
8. While you will always lose your nice pen, Bics never seem to disappear.
9. You can pick up someone elses Bic Biro and they will not know you have stolen it.
10. It is just a fantastic simple design that has been around almost unchanged (h & s made then put a hole in the cap a few years ago) for about 60 years.

Only thing I don't like about Bic pens are Blue Bic pens. Has to be black - no excuses.

tyred

Legendary Member
Over The Hill said:
Can I put in a vote for the much derided Bic Biro.

1. It works every time. Far better than any posh ball point.
2. Unlike your ink pen or even a posh ball point, you can see how much ink is in it.
3. It last about 30 times as long as an ink pen.
4. It costs about 20p
5. It is colour coded.
6. You can find lots of other uses for the cap or the tube of it.
7. The cap is in a special soft plastic which is ideal for chewing without messing up the main part of the pen.
8. While you will always lose your nice pen, Bics never seem to disappear.
9. You can pick up someone elses Bic Biro and they will not know you have stolen it.
10. It is just a fantastic simple design that has been around almost unchanged (h & s made then put a hole in the cap a few years ago) for about 60 years.

Only thing I don't like about Bic pens are Blue Bic pens. Has to be black - no excuses.

Seconded.

I love my bic pen. Although my current one is blue:thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
I "invested" in one of those propelling pencil type writing implements. It has a 0.5mm lead in B. Being B means you get a darker line than Hb.

This is very good for writing in diaries, cos then my diary does not get in a humungous mess with crossings out, and tippex etc. Also excellent for writing short lists on the back of envelopes.

I have never seen the advantage over an ordinary pencil:wacko:

Lizban

Love my fountain pens. Probaly my most fav. possesion is my Mount Blanc pen - which I brought when my Great Aunt passed away and left me some money, thought is was right as I wrote to her, old school style every, month for about 20 years. She still corrected my grammar and sent them back into her 90s!

Debian

I rarely write.

Everything is word processed and laser printed or emailed these days.

About the only thing I ever write with a scribing device is the odd shopping list and for that I usually steal one of my daughters gel pens, though I sometimes even do shopping lists on my PDA nowadays. :laugh:

Oh, and the odd signature on a cheque...

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Speicher said:
I "invested" in one of those propelling pencil type writing implements. It has a 0.5mm lead in B. Being B means you get a darker line than Hb.

This is very good for writing in diaries, cos then my diary does not get in a humungous mess with crossings out, and tippex etc. Also excellent for writing short lists on the back of envelopes.

I use pencils too, ones with the rubber on the end which also doubles as a mobile phone key-pad dialler and for using a sat nav. Makes it easier to operate the controls and the screen doesn't get mucky.

BigSteev

psmiffy said:
No, No, No - I am left handed and when writing with a fountain pen the tendency to pass ones hand across the page with the result that it looks like an elephant has dipped its feet in paint and walked across
+1

But then with my handwriting, having something come along and immediately smudge it beyond recognition could be considered a good thing.

mr Mag00

rising member
i love writing, cannot find a nice nib though, way too scratchy. have a nice parker sat on the wshelf waiting for a nice nib. how do you what is a good soft nib?

chap

Veteran
mr Mag00 said:
i love writing, cannot find a nice nib though, way too scratchy. have a nice parker sat on the wshelf waiting for a nice nib. how do you what is a good soft nib?

Ask about the flex, generally the more gold the more flex. Although there are some very slick steel nibs which defy logic.

Best to ask the seller at the store, there are many online dealers and Selfrides (London) is very helpful too. I am sure you could phone them, then have them order and deliver one to you.

Top Bottom