Fountain pen usage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
I would like to use a fountain pen more, but my work life style doesn't allow it.

I have an Italian Aurora FP and ballpoint set, which are really stylish. I'm afraid they do not get used often, except when taking minutes at committee meetings.

itchyrider

Aka Chris
Thats funny? I found a Parker Calligraphy set today?? Works Really well..

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
threebikesmcginty said:
I like the look of the 'Shorty' - I use a Rotring pencil normally, do I just want one of these or can it be justified for practical reasons?

Umm...I sort of have 3.

/looks ashamed

So yeah, you can justify one.

trj977

Über Member
I use a fountain pen daily. I just cannot get on with ball points at all, anything I write with one looks as if it was written by a drunk. I currently own three, all fairly old, just pick up which ever I feel like each morning. A Sheaffer, Monte Blanc(a skinny one) and a Waterman. I have been on the look out for an old Parker 51 for a while now, pure nostalgia, but it is hard to find a good example without having to pay silly money.

Llama

Veteran
i love fountain pens, i seem to get on really well with Lamy pens, especially the safari
personally i use parker ink (black) or diamine ink (green, blue and brown)(cultpens are stockists) excellent range of colours and works great.

have to agree with a few others, if not a fountain pen, then a pencil - personally i use american dixon ticonderoga that are not normally available in the uk but write so well.

Plague

Oooo and I thought it was just me that was a bit old fashioned and pretentious - Ive always liked my fountain pens and have several. Biro's are ok if they're a good one but nothing beats a good fountain pen, well balanced, when writing on good writing paper. Its a lovely feeling. I mainly use black ink as well, though do sometimes drop a bit of blue into my black pot to make it a very dark blue/black.

My day-to-day pen is a Cross thats about 10 years old now.

The good thing is that people very rarely ask to borrow your pen!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Are there any British manufacturers of fountain pens these days? I remember about ten or more years ago reading about what was allegedly the last British firm which produced a solid silver fountain pen that cost about a grand.

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes. We made some at school years ago from goose feathers (the good old days when children were allowed to play with razor blades). Horrible to write with (or at least mine was).

No.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, and I make no apology for the odd excursion (viz. a recent thread about buses) but some things are best obliterated from one's painful memories. Crossed and splayed nibs, scratchy writing, blotted exercise books (to earn me a detention at school), running out of ink half way through an 'O' level (in my day fountain pens were de rigeur in O levels :sad:) ... tyrannical 'calligraphy' teachers (whatever calligraphy may be) ..... bah!

Anyway, if we really want to be fully 'retro', shouldn't it be hammer and chisel?

Now, excuse me whilst I finish off these couple of Indus Valley clay tablets I'm doing, the Akkadian merchant outside can't wait...:birthday:

nilling

Über Member
Most of my work is at the keyboard. But when i have to write I prefer a fountain pen. My favourite was a Sheaffer but I lost it and they don't seem to have the mid-range pens anymore. I have at work Waterman, Parker, Lamy and even use the cheapo Pilot Vpen in different colours. I use cartridges as ink bottle is a bit too messy for me.

Check out Cults Pens http://www.cultpens.com/index.html

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
User76 said:
Has anyone ever used a quill?
A friend gave me one, with some dark red ink (looks like blood really!) It's super-frondy so hard to use without tickling your nose. It's displayed on the bookcase in the study now, as it's not a serious thing for use. The main issue being that you have to dip it into the ink very frequently and have the strong risk of dripping ink over your page.

Top Bottom