Fountain pen usage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
661-Pete said:
No.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, and I make no apology for the odd excursion (viz. a recent thread about buses) but some things are best obliterated from one's painful memories. Crossed and splayed nibs, scratchy writing, blotted exercise books (to earn me a detention at school), running out of ink half way through an 'O' level (in my day fountain pens were de rigeur in O levels :smile:) ... tyrannical 'calligraphy' teachers (whatever calligraphy may be) ..... bah!

Anyway, if we really want to be fully 'retro', shouldn't it be hammer and chisel?

Now, excuse me whilst I finish off these couple of Indus Valley clay tablets I'm doing, the Akkadian merchant outside can't wait...;)

Another hapless student scarred by the memories :biggrin:

Tomorrow, go out and buy a Lamy Safari, it ain't much to look at but is pretty much near indestructible. If you do not write a week after professing your love for the fountain pen ... well... I'll eat spaghetti (one day only)!

chap said:
Another hapless student scarred by the memories :biggrin:

Tomorrow, go out and buy a Lamy Safari, it ain't much to look at but is pretty much near indestructible. If you do not write a week after professing your love for the fountain pen ... well... I'll eat spaghetti (one day only)!
I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek.:ohmy: But I'll forgive you, old Chap.

But alas, no. I'm as likely to buy a fountain pen as I am to buy - say - a top hat. Just totally outside of any wish-list I might conjure up. But don't let me stop you. And anyway, I wish to spare you your pledged indignity of ordeal-by-spaghetti, Chap. More schoolday reminiscences evoked, those of forced school lunches and being sat in the corner of the classroom with a bowl of congealing stew...B)

chap

Veteran
661-Pete said:
I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek.:ohmy: But I'll forgive you, old Chap.

But alas, no. I'm as likely to buy a fountain pen as I am to buy - say - a top hat. Just totally outside of any wish-list I might conjure up. But don't let me stop you. And anyway, I wish to spare you your pledged indignity of ordeal-by-spaghetti, Chap. More schoolday reminiscences evoked, those of forced school lunches and being sat in the corner of the classroom with a bowl of congealing stew...:ohmy:

A top hat is not on your wish list! :biggrin:

What is wrong with people today, please have a look at my hatter of choice: http://www.lockhatters.co.uk

Now I dare you to come back to this thread and declare you wish not to own a top hat!

Ah school-days, although I am impressed that you sat watching it - ours used to run off :wacko:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I once won one of those Meisterstucks. I still have it but never use it. It's a truly horrible pen. Like writing with a saveloy with a scratchy nib. Give me my £4.99 Parker any day.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
swee said:
Inherited one of those - ink flow is way to much and you end up with puddles of ink instead of letters.

In fact - my Father (whose pen it was) sent it back to MB with this complaint - they returned it saying "thats the way it is" :thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
I use a quill stem on my bike. Does an excellent job of attaching the handlebars to the steerer but I find it difficult to write with.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
philipbh said:
Inherited one of those - ink flow is way to much and you end up with puddles of ink instead of letters.

In fact - my Father (whose pen it was) sent it back to MB with this complaint - they returned it saying "thats the way it is" ;)

I found the ink flow too much when I got mine and I thought that was the way it was. As a result of a burglary and subsequent recovery of my stuff I had cause to send mine to the service department and I asked if the ink flow to be reduced while they were at it, which they did, it came back with a much better ink flow.

Certainly worth a try if you want to use it. I've still got the address and phone number if you want it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As a younger man I spent good money on fountain pens, Parker etc. Never got one that didn't leave blobs of ink to annoy me.
Also my writing is like the proverbial spider.
I do envy people who write neatly.

Top Bottom