Four types of road cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have written this on a wet afternoon largely for my own amusement. Apologies if it is too long to be of interest, and I will not be offended if the moderators delete it. If there is a deeper purpose, it is to try to defuse some of the hostility I sometimes sense between different styles of road rider. (I have excluded off-road, as I know nothing about it at all.) I hope to show the virtues of all styles, and get respect and appreciation for, and between, cyclists of all types. Since you are bound to ask, I am mostly “sport”, but all of these portraits have something of me in them. Which are you?

Types of road cyclist

Sport

Often derided as a MAMIL or a wannabe, the sport cyclist rides to challenge him or herself. He or she only rides for pleasure and may, indeed, only go out when the weather is good. On the other hand, some get pleasure from being challenged by the weather too. Sport cyclists often use Strava as a way of recording their achievements. They generally maintain their bikes scrupulously and are often interested in upgrades. A few grammes shaved off a tyre will interest a sport cyclist. They are usually prepared to go for light and puncture-prone tyres rather than the heavier tougher types. The young and keen are probably club racers at least. All look to racers for their inspiration, but many are too old, heavy and slow to race these days, if ever. None the less, the sport cyclist will note their PBs on Strava with pleasure. Sports cyclists will wear Lycra with pride and have commemorative jerseys from sportives they have ridden as well as team kit in their wardrobe.

Sport cyclists remove anything inessential from their machines. Reflectors and hub discs go in the bin. Lights, if fitted are tiny, transient and featherweight. Tools and gear are carried in a bottle-cage tool-roll or, possibly, in a tiny seat-bag. Some will use mudguards in winter, many don’t. Racing cleats and pedals were bought from Wiggle with the “quality first” box checked.

Recreational

The recreational cyclist has much in common with the sport cyclist, but will be less weight-conscious and more interested in comfort. They may well be part of a family package and could be on a sports type bike, a hybrid or even a mountain bike. They will be carrying tools and parts for the entire family, spare clothes and sweets as well as drinks for the kids. It would not be a surprise to see paniers or a big saddlebag. Recreational cyclists wear a mix of dedicated cycling clothing and multi-use kit -maybe the odd golf jumper or walking jacket. After all, the recreational cyclist is perfectly happy to walk up hills.

As likely to be found on a trail as a quiet road, the recreational cyclist doesn’t often do big rides, but gets out often enough to be able to handle a long one when necessary. Bikes wear mudguards all year round, and there may be dynamo lights mounted on the rack. Wheels and parts will be selected for strength and durability. Tyres with a high puncture resistance will be chosen. A Brooks saddle would not be a surprise. The recreational cyclist may well record the more memorable rides in a notebook, perhaps with a few photographs. The recreational cyclist is likely to prefer SPD mountain-bike type cleats with the recessed soles.

Commuter

The commuter is hard-core and likely to be out in all weathers, and be pretty hard-nosed when it comes to mixing it with other traffic. The clothing and the bike will be function-first with some regard for weight, but gear is chosen with durability as the priority. The commuter’s bike is likely to be set up with flat bars and there may well be disc-brakes to cope with the wet. The commuter’s main aim in the selection of clothing is to stay dry, and Goretex is often the choice. Racks and mudguards are essential, as are top quality rechargeable lights.

If the commuter manages to get out for some recreational cycling at a weekend, they will not need to change much. The bike is known to be reliable and undergoes a pretty professional maintenance regime, or is serviced regularly by a shop. Commuters are astonishingly fit, as even a few miles done every day will achieve an enviable level of fitness and health. Many sports cyclists will be unable to keep up with them, carbon, Lycra and all. The commuter will feel a sense of disappointment if obliged by snow or ice to seek public transport – and it probably isn’t running anyway.

Utility

The utility cyclist’s greatest source of pride is in what they haven’t got and how little they spent to get what they have. The utility cyclist is a genius at making things work, mixing and matching parts and not spending any money. It isn’t that the utility cyclist is necessarily hard-up. It is just that if cycling can offer you almost free and convenient transport, they why not take it? The sports cyclist and the utility are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. The sports cyclist will spend the extra £50 to save 16grammes, while the utility rider will be equally proud of mending a toe-strap with a wiring tie. Each probably thinks the other is mad.

The origins of the utility rider’s bike are lost in the mists of time. The frame looks quite decent – it could be 531 – nice lugs, but all means of identifying it went years ago. The wheels are odd, but a 7 speed cassette has been made to fit somehow. A thick layer of black grease keeps everything running smoothly, and will do for years. The utility rider is still using his father’s Brooks saddle. Mafac brakes! Haven’t seen those for years, no, they never really worked. There is a track pump sticking out of one of the paniers. This is counter-balanced by a massive D-lock. The utility rider has heard of Lycra, but cannot see any use for it. A cap keeps the rain out; supplemented by a strange-smelling cape if it is really wet. It is important to remember that the utility cyclist loves his or her bike and uses it.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I think I come somewhere between sport and recreational so does that mean I'm a whole MAMIL or only half a MAMIL....................no that can't be right because then i would be a Mam and that is biologically impossible, Oh well, back to the drawing board. :okay:
Maybe cross referencing with this thread might throw more light on the subject ^_^https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-is-a-cyclist-and-are-you-a-cyclist.198030/post-4213150

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Lycra is fine on anyone ...........................................within reason,
hqdefault.jpg

Had to bleach my eyes after looking at that.:laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Or there are those of us who are probably a bit of all of these!:okay:
I think a lot of us do the whole thing.:okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm a recreational and a commuter according to your description @Apollonius.
Indeed most of my cycling is commuting or sedate rides with the Belles on Bikes.
I do carry a mini track pump, all the tools, jelly beans and much more :laugh:
My bikes are, erm, robust, there's one with snow studded tyres too.
Most utilitarian cycling gets done with the commuting for me.

Top Bottom