Four types of road cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I've definitely moved along the spectrum - Was a Commuter / Utility rider for 4 years whilst I was waiting for my epilepsy to be controlled, rode a beat up old mtb that could take all the knocks and crap winter weather. Bloody hard work - it is amazing how much weight 32 school exercise books add when you've taken them home to mark. Now I'm a driver again the commuting is limited to 15 mins each way on a Boris Bike as I hate taking the Tube and the utility riding is non existent. Cycling is my way of staying fit in the summer, I do have the lyrca but nothing badged up and am certainly not a wannabe. Would never use Strava as I could not bare the public humiliation of posting my times, happy to keep that to myself !

OP
OP
Apollonius

Apollonius

Guru
Thanks everybody for thoughtful and positive responses to my ideas. I am not trying to categorize or label anyone. Quite the opposite in fact. I think there are elements of all of these in all of us and there to be celebrated. Our diversity should be our strength, not something to divide us, nor make us unnecessarily competitive, or worse, jealous.

Smile at our follies. We all have them.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
What about the level above SPORT - clean professionals and top amateurs?

And the level above that - Sir Bradley Wiggins? Peter Sagan?

And a lower level - dopers and those yet to be caught?

And the level below that - Lance Armstrong? State sponsored doping?

You did capture close to 98% of us; yet, left out the 2% that has 98% of the press. Good job, you get the A grade and check plus for effort.

si_c

Guru
I am a little of each... Smallest part is the sports one.... I use Strava.... The greatest match is the commuter.... But I've gaffa tape holding on my mudguard for the last 6 months!

Same, not really that much of a sport rider. Lost a bar end plug the other week, so the bar tape is now held on by electrical tape. Meant to buy some new tape, but will wait till summer. Maybe.

GuyBoden

Guru
Five: Touring cyclists.

24958194-533-640x480.jpg

leedsmick

Im a discount sports cyclist. Bike purchased in the new year sale, all cycling clothing is btwin or at least 50% sale stock from wiggle etc. Im from yorkshire so its expected

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
That makes you a sport cyclist. the term you used for yourself is impossible to define and often used in a derogatory way. There is nothing to be ashamed of in practising a sport.
as long as I'm happy and beating cars away from the lights, I'm happy. If I can renew/upgrade any of my clothing or equipment I'm like a kid in a chocolate factory.

PS I'm looking for a new lid, shoes and pedals ^_^

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im a mix of the top 3 but I tend to wear baggy shorts over my longs or warmers, It'l just be shorts now i guess as its starting to get a little warmer.

Top Bottom