Four types of road cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why? lol I wear what works for me. Especially when it was colder earlier in the year and i was commuting in temperatures close to freezing, Its good to have that extra layer.
Just a dodgy look :whistle:
get some winter cruisers or Ron Hill bikesters to wear over the padded layer, keep lower
legs warm too :smile:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just a dodgy look :whistle:
get some winter cruisers or Ron Hill bikesters to wear over the padded layer, keep lower
legs warm too :smile:
Look at it this way: In summer, shorts with padded undershorts. :smile: In winter, knees cold. :sad: Solution - use longer version of undershorts to cover knees. :smile: Simples. ;)

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Really? Entertaining as the definitions are, I don't see anything that defines the essence of the touring cyclist or the Audaxer.

Isn't touring cyclist a type of vagabond? Would rickshaw cyclist need to be added?

You are right there are more than four or five types. How many more are there now that we are headed down that road?

I thought a road cyclist was someone who rode a bicycle on a road.
No no no, a road cyclist, road rider or 'roadie' is someone who rides a road bike. A person riding a mountain bike on a street is not a road cyclist, she is a mountain biker. A person riding a city/street bike on a road is not a roadie, he is a commuter. A person riding a fixed wheel on a road is not a roadie, they are a hipster. And so on.

Only a person riding a road bike is a road rider. See illustration:

Racing through time image02.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No no no, a road cyclist, road rider or 'roadie' is someone who rides a road bike. A person riding a mountain bike on a street is not a road cyclist, she is a mountain biker. A person riding a city/street bike on a road is not a roadie, he is a commuter. A person riding a fixed wheel on a road is not a roadie, they are a hipster. And so on.

Only a person riding a road bike is a road rider. See illustration:

View attachment 123460
Unless they are a roadie doing winter training? I rode my first fixed in 73/74 and I've never been a tragic hipster cockwomble, apart from about six weeks last summer, and that was in cph so it doesn't count because

a) the hipsters there ride ss phat bikes and choppers.
b) I'm too fat (but see below)
c) I'm too old (but that would be ok in sthlm)

What am I? I'm not any sort of cyclist. I ride bikes a lot and I'm a failed/ex- mtber whose nerve has gone and who now prefers tarmac. On which I'll ride anything. And I wear merino and lycra and plus two's and baggies and dress for the destination not the journey and and... ;)

McSuggy

That's made me laugh. I'm definitely a recreational sports rider.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
What a good, fun read - thanks for writing your thoughts up, @Apollonius! I'm a commuter more than any of the others, and thank you for writing such a glowing report on commuters :smile:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Racks aren't essential, rucksacks are preferred by some commuters
Agreed. I wouldn't be seen using racks or panniers at any time. Ever. I don't like anything on my bike apart from lights, my Garmin, a drink and me!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Some points
1 When I'm on one of my recumbent trikes am I part of some unmentionable underclass?
2 Don't MTBers who don't ride tarmac get a category ? And should they ? No, I read the title.
3 Riders are all individuals , I'm not
4 Fill in as appropriate

Top Bottom