Frame painting dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JMAG

Über Member
I'm temping for a car bodyshop at the moment and am getting my old bike frame painted. One of the guys at work said I should have it powder coated instead. I know power coating will be more durable, but I had a particular colour in mind which we have in stock as we've just done a car in that colour. It's a well known car/colour and will be a bit of a project, but more of that in a project/build thread to come.

So my dilemma is, do I go for the colour available in normal car paint and build the theme bike or do I go for some other colour (not black) in powder coat? What do you think?

sight-pin

Veteran
Your in an ideal place to design a spectacular frame finish, i'd try to draw some great designs and then put it to the sprayers for advice if you can. Other than that, if the powder coat is a good colour you'd like, i'd go for that i'd think.

OP
OP
JMAG

JMAG

Über Member
Powder coat it. Any halfway decent powder foster can match a car colour.

Whilst they can mix any colour, I have to stick to something already in stock i.e. something that is in the paint shop now or recently done as they only keep left over paint for 2 weeks in case of remedials.

Otherwise it will be a fully chargeable job.

Power coating is not all it's made up to be. It has very poor UV resistance compared to K2 car paint and, it is very difficult to mask so that you get a proper edge separating the coated and non-coated areas.

Top Bottom