Free womens bike maintenance workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Halfords are offering a free bike maintenance workshop to women on Wednesday 20th May, in association with Breeze Bike Rides.

We're holding a free introductory bike maintenance workshop for women in stores on 20th May. This is an ideal session for women who are new to cycling and want to learn the basics of taking care of their bikes. The workshop will be practical and interactive and a great opportunity to meet other women in your area who are also interested in cycling.

More details and how to book here...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...2_productId_1132168_langId_-1_categoryId_null

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yeahbut, last time I went to Halfords I had to tell the mechanic that my freewheel was not a cassette :laugh:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The theory is that women often feel more comfortable in women-only settings. It's not something I feel entirely happy about but if free cycle maintenance classes are advertised it's likely that 90% or more of the attendees would be male. A woman may be interested but not go along because she thinks that everyone else (male) will already know more than she does.

I've discovered that Halfords in Stevenage have a young female mechanic who actually knows about bikes. So that's probably a first on both counts.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A woman may be interested but not go along because she thinks that everyone else (male) will already know more than she does.
And no one cares about a man who would be interested but not go along because he thinks everyone else will already know more than he does. No one cares only because he is male. That is why this is sexist and British Cycling should be ashamed of its approach. Again.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
And no one cares about a man who would be interested but not go along because he thinks everyone else will already know more than he does. No one cares only because he is male. That is why this is sexist and British Cycling should be ashamed of its approach. Again.
There are already beginners workshops for said man, who, ime, would probably try to tell the mechanic how to fix a puncture on his first lesson.
Personally, I am not intimidated by mixed workshops - will the teacher be female too, I wonder? but I can relate to ladies that would be put off by the thought of everybody on the course having more knowledge than them.

Top Bottom